RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Aftermarket parts use/review thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-16, 05:14 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
Fastnoypi:

There are few big names in after market products, but they get their products from all over. Some even are refurbished using the core from OEM. If you agree with em then any observation based on one purchase can not be applied universally.

Salim
Correct, that is why i've created this thread to allow feedback on these aftermarket parts. Some brands may have several different sources only to be boxed and branded. These sources may have different QC processes than others in the supply chain. Some of those sources may be more consistent at making a specific part than other parts.

With enough feedback, perhaps we can weed out those brands that are inconsistent, perhaps identify a current run batch QC problem if purchase date is specified, and save someone some time and money with options that will do the job.

Last edited by fastnoypi; 02-23-16 at 05:21 AM.
Old 02-23-16, 05:18 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Originally Posted by thaeleelyr
That's a new term for me! No, I didn't measure them, but I do still have them. I'll dig them out and measure them with my micrometer. Do you know what the minimal measurement is for the rotors?
Front rotors- Nominal thickness (starting) 28mm
Minimal thickness 26mm
Rear rotors - Nominal thickness (starting) 10mm
Minimal thickness 9mm
Old 03-01-16, 11:16 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Exclamation

Amended my review of the KYB rear strut mounts. Stick with your originals and buy strut bellows as they wear.
(Using KYB SB101 bellows) . OEM rear strut mounts are a thick gauge one piece steel plate and should last the life of your vehicle. Glad i kept my originals.

Though KYB is a reputable brand for struts, their strut mounts are hit/miss due to the various outsourcing with poor QC and methods. The factory that supplied one of my mounts crimped on welding, perhaps they used solder!

The weld penetration was so poor they used 3x 1mm spot welds. Buyer beware!

Here is a pic of the mount i just broke with the bellows cut away. See how the strut rod "cup" broke away.

The following users liked this post:
1stlink (12-25-17)
Old 03-07-16, 11:26 PM
hsmac
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can anyone recommend air filters or stick with oem?
Old 03-08-16, 06:57 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Originally Posted by hsmac
can anyone recommend air filters or stick with oem?
Stick with OEM or OEM style paper filters for highest filtration. If you are looking at higher air flow with good filtration, consider AEM dryflow panel filter or Upgr8.

Oiled filters like K&N do not filter particles as well as paper and you risk the case of over oiling and gunking up your MAF sensor.
Old 03-09-16, 07:14 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Great info....
Old 03-09-16, 07:16 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by fastnoypi
Amended my review of the KYB rear strut mounts. Stick with your originals and buy strut bellows as they wear.
(Using KYB SB101 bellows) . OEM rear strut mounts are a thick gauge one piece steel plate and should last the life of your vehicle. Glad i kept my originals.

Though KYB is a reputable brand for struts, their strut mounts are hit/miss due to the various outsourcing with poor QC and methods. The factory that supplied one of my mounts crimped on welding, perhaps they used solder!

The weld penetration was so poor they used 3x 1mm spot welds. Buyer beware!

Here is a pic of the mount i just broke with the bellows cut away. See how the strut rod "cup" broke away.

Oh man, just ordered those....I will take a close look and see how they are constructed when I get them..make decision than...
Old 03-09-16, 07:49 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Originally Posted by thomas1
Oh man, just ordered those....I will take a close look and see how they are constructed when I get them..make decision than...
Double check them. I made another observation from the other one i took off that had no problems. The "cup" that you see in the picture should NOT be on a rear strut mount. Underneath should be "keyed" to the top of your strut shaft.

I double checked my old boxes for labeling and they were the same part number. Regardless, i would hope that i had a factory packaging mix-up but as you can see the welding is sub-par for what it may have been intended for.

I did not have troubles with my other rear KYB strut mount but i removed it for consistency.
Old 03-11-16, 11:12 PM
Australian
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Nudge bars side steps nerf for camry Jframe. Anyone messing with other RX bars eg rx330 or jframe RAV krugar or Highlander bars?
Old 08-26-16, 11:11 PM
hsmac
Pole Position

anyone know how many miles the more popular oil filters like denso and bosch premium are engineered for? i know other brands list the expected mileage.
Old 04-28-17, 05:13 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

The rear lift supports on the rx300 saw better days. Replaced them last night with Monroe Max lift dampers 901662. Simple replacement. I wont have the trunk coming down on me anytime soon.
Old 04-28-17, 05:23 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Originally Posted by hsmac
anyone know how many miles the more popular oil filters like denso and bosch premium are engineered for? i know other brands list the expected mileage.
oil filters are not designed or rated in mileage but filtration efficiency , as everyone's areas of driving are exposed to different levels of contaminants through the air filter and fuel burnt.
Old 09-07-17, 02:46 AM
hsmac
Pole Position

Originally Posted by fastnoypi
oil filters are not designed or rated in mileage but filtration efficiency , as everyone's areas of driving are exposed to different levels of contaminants through the air filter and fuel burnt.
mobil markets their filters as 20k mile filters, and at what interval filters get changed is the only aspect people seem to discuss when it comes to filters.