RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Towing Help, Yes or No?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-16, 03:25 PM
AnthonyMtz
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Towing Help, Yes or No?

Ok guy's my dad's Rx broke down and we are trying to get it home, he doesn't have the funds to get a uhaul or anything like that. A friend of his has a tow dolly, the trip one way is 250 miles so 500 round trip...I've seen mixed things on the net, I would be disconnecting the rear drive shaft, I took some pics and it really dose not seem to be a issue, speeds will not exceed 60mph. Would I run into any issues? At this point if it gets damage it's not a problem since he has a really good friend that works on rear ends for a living and offered to fix it if something happened (he would like a 12 pack of beer in return LOL!) so if anyone has some or any advice I would love to hear it, again Thanks to all of you!
Old 02-12-16, 03:31 PM
AnthonyMtz
Pole Position

Forgot to add this is a AWD model.
Old 02-12-16, 04:06 PM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

So I understand that the front wheels will be on the dolly (not on the road) right?
If so you can disconnect the drive shaft ... make sure you mark the coupling so that you can put it back in the same position.

Once you disconnect, you have to worry about the accordion joint in the shaft. Safest way is to remove from both ends and then keep it together.

Salim
Old 02-12-16, 04:08 PM
AnthonyMtz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by salimshah
So I understand that the front wheels will be on the dolly (not on the road) right?
If so you can disconnect the drive shaft ... make sure you mark the coupling so that you can put it back in the same position.

Once you disconnect, you have to worry about the accordion joint in the shaft. Safest way is to remove from both ends and then keep it together.

Salim
Awsome thanks Salim, and yes the front wheels will be on the dolly, the rear will be the only rolling, Thanks for the reply!
Old 02-12-16, 04:30 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Towing Help, Yes or No?

Do either of you have access to AAA or other towing service? If so, a flatbed tow would be the best bet.
Completely disconnecting the drive shafts would work too in a pinch as Salim described.
Old 02-12-16, 09:41 PM
AnthonyMtz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by fastnoypi
Do either of you have access to AAA or other towing service? If so, a flatbed tow would be the best bet.
Completely disconnecting the drive shafts would work too in a pinch as Salim described.
There is but since it's so far he's getting quotes of 300+ dollars and is unemployed at the moment, he is also hard headed and dose not want me to spend that money to get it back home when he can do it himself.... my father for ya haha!
Old 02-13-16, 05:20 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by AnthonyMtz
There is but since it's so far he's getting quotes of 300+ dollars and is unemployed at the moment, he is also hard headed and dose not want me to spend that money to get it back home when he can do it himself.... my father for ya haha!
I was curious about AAA's premier package for Texas since i left Houston in '09. It used to be unlimited towing miles one way for such a big state but now its a measly 200 miles according to the club site and member rates are up to $105/year. Still worthwhile to have and consider for next time.
Good luck to both of you.
Old 02-13-16, 03:00 PM
matts6887
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

as far as AAA goes; AAA is definitely a worthwhile investment especially since all of us folk on these forums have a much older vehicle now; u just never know when something may happen. Here in az; I dont know if there are any mileage limits as far as towing goes or not but it probably is something i should look into even though I dont generally drive mine out of the metro phoenix and surrounding valley areas. I dont do any long distances with this rx like driving up north etc mainly because while i have had no issues thus far with my rx; again u just never know when something may crop up suddenly.