RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Engine Water Decarbonizing??

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-16, 05:46 PM
AnthonyMtz
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine Water Decarbonizing??

Hey all, I just wanted some advice, my Rx is rolling around the 185,000 mile mark and is getting a bit sluggish but runs really good and starts with no problems, I was reading up about people using water to clean the engine, basically remove a vacuum hose on the throttle body, the get a cup of water and stick the hose in to suck up a little bit of water steam cleaning the inside of the engine. Now I know water in the engine sounds rediculous but I don't mean to let it take a big long drink, I was thinking about letting it induce just a little bit to where the engine starts stumbling (just a little) then give it a few seconds to pass the water and repeat. I would like to try it but I also wanted some other people's thoughts about it or if they have a different way of doing this, there is a guy on youtube called "BMAC VAGS" and he removes the air intake tube to spray water in with a spray bottle, well the Rx will die as soon as I pull the intake off just a bit so that wouldn't be a option, that's why I was wondering if the vacuum hose on the TB would work, hope to here from you guys! And I appreciate everyone's inputs!
Old 02-01-16, 07:01 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

This works well, but the water has to be controlled. Race the engine at around 2500 rpm and then use a bottle with a hose to hook to intake vacuum. I would have a helper as you are going to want to control the amount of water with a clothes pin or something to control the amount of water. Let the engine have enough water to just make it partially stutter and then back off. You DO NOT WANT to hydrolock the engine. Personally I would only do this to clean the catalytic converter. I would use sea foam in the gas to clean the valves. Do the water at your own risk....
Old 02-01-16, 07:12 PM
cjj2533
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This has been debated for a long time in the automotive repair world as you have seen on Youtube. My thoughts are that it will help to remove carbon deposits on top of the piston and the exhaust valves, but it will not really help the intake side of things. A couple of weeks ago I had to replace a knock sensor which required a significant tear down of all the intake plumbing. Before reassembling everything I completely cleaned the intake manifold ports, the plenum ports, the throttle body and all the plastic tubes. The end result was a much better breathing engine. The motor runs much smoother with better response.

As far as where to inject the water at, instead I believe that I would use Seafoam instead of water just because of the tube that comes with it that you can insert right before the throttle body. It will also somewhat clean the intake side of the engine, but not as good as using some elbow grease and some carb cleaner. Hope this helps.
Old 02-01-16, 08:08 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Pardon me for asking some blunt questions. Need not reply here on the forum, but hopefully they will help you to make up your mind.

1. What problem are you trying to solve?
2. Does it really do what you think it will do?
3. Are there any side affects?
4. Can it go wrong?
5. What are the chances of doing it just right and too little or too much.
6. Is it your itch to DIY? or there is a real problem.

I would wait till you have a engine knock problem or engine run-on after ignition off.

Salim
Old 02-01-16, 10:59 PM
AnthonyMtz
Pole Position

Thank you for everyone giving me some awsome advice! With 185k I'm going to play things safe, I went ahead and went to my nearest dodge dealer and bought their famous Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner aka MCCC 11$ and some change, I used a vacuum line on the TB and it sucked it right in with no problems, this product had outstanding reviews and now I know why, apparently this stuff foams up and cleans basically everything! I tried seafoam and it did help but it really didn't clean the carbon, it had the famous light blue/white smoke (just the product burning off) and made people believe it was carbon, well let me tell you after I let the Rx sit for about a hour I went to start it and boy was the smoke deep blue! The Rx ran so good, I think this mccc actually cleaned quite a bit of carbon deposits, I was amazed, I'm going to do a few more treatments as some folks said the smoke got lighter and lighter as it cleaned all the carbon, I would advise you guys to try it, this wasn't the placebo effect either LOL! Thanks again everyone!
Old 02-02-16, 05:51 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Hey interesting about the Mopar stuff....thanks for my daily new thing to learn.
Old 02-02-16, 08:45 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Remember to change oil and filter. Most cleaners end up in the oil and thins it out. Once in oil they also dislodge particles and hopefully they end up in the filter.

Salim
Old 02-02-16, 09:31 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Good to know there is another good product alternative out there if I can't find GM top end cleaner.
Old 02-02-16, 10:03 AM
cjj2533
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
Remember to change oil and filter. Most cleaners end up in the oil and thins it out. Once in oil they also dislodge particles and hopefully they end up in the filter.

Salim

Is there a recommended delay before the oil change or should this be done ASAP? Just wondering how long it takes to "completely" cycle through to the oil. I don't think I need to do this yet, but it would be nice to know if I ever did.
Old 02-02-16, 11:41 AM
AnthonyMtz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by thomas1
Hey interesting about the Mopar stuff....thanks for my daily new thing to learn.
No problem buddy! To me it's great stuff especially how it foams, if I get a chance I'll make a little youtube video of the product in action, I'll have to make a trip back to the dodge dealer!
Old 02-02-16, 11:43 AM
AnthonyMtz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by fastnoypi
Good to know there is another good product alternative out there if I can't find GM top end cleaner.
Yes indeed! I did my research and alot of people (even folks with gm vehicles) preferred the MCCC over the gm stuff because it cleaned better! No actual way I can prove that but the Rx runs great!
Old 02-02-16, 11:46 AM
AnthonyMtz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by salimshah

Salim
Thanks you for the advice salim! I had just changed my oil with full synthetic 5w30 a week before this, but I did a little research and the Mopar folks on chrysler, jeep and dodge forums didn't have problems with this product thinning out the oil some guys had upwards of 250k miles! This stuff is pretty neat and I will continue to use it as long as mopar sells it!
Old 02-03-16, 08:41 AM
matts6887
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by AnthonyMtz
Thank you for everyone giving me some awsome advice! With 185k I'm going to play things safe, I went ahead and went to my nearest dodge dealer and bought their famous Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner aka MCCC 11$ and some change, I used a vacuum line on the TB and it sucked it right in with no problems, this product had outstanding reviews and now I know why, apparently this stuff foams up and cleans basically everything! I tried seafoam and it did help but it really didn't clean the carbon, it had the famous light blue/white smoke (just the product burning off) and made people believe it was carbon, well let me tell you after I let the Rx sit for about a hour I went to start it and boy was the smoke deep blue! The Rx ran so good, I think this mccc actually cleaned quite a bit of carbon deposits, I was amazed, I'm going to do a few more treatments as some folks said the smoke got lighter and lighter as it cleaned all the carbon, I would advise you guys to try it, this wasn't the placebo effect either LOL! Thanks again everyone!
Thanks for the info on that cleaner here anthony!; I may have to give that a go at some point myself. Dont believe i need to do it now as my rx has pretty good power and is not sluggish or anything yet so i will consider this down the road if it gets to that point.
Old 02-03-16, 03:34 PM
AnthonyMtz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by matts6887
Thanks for the info on that cleaner here anthony!; I may have to give that a go at some point myself. Dont believe i need to do it now as my rx has pretty good power and is not sluggish or anything yet so i will consider this down the road if it gets to that point.
Sure thing buddy, IMO it worked really well, very smooth engine response! Now just to get my leaky valve covers, timing belt and water pump replaced! :/
Old 02-28-17, 06:15 PM
Orion1019
6th Gear

I have an IS 250 and want to use the MCCC stuff. How did you go about adding the product. Did you spray it into the vacuum line on the TB or in the TB itself?

Quick Reply: Engine Water Decarbonizing??