RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Humming Noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-03, 01:59 PM
p1fcl01
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Humming Noise

Hi,

I have this problem. When I put car in drive and hold brake, it make an low humming noise that is very annoying. Anyone know or have this problem? Any solution? Why?

Thanks
Frankie
Old 04-20-03, 04:19 AM
ederny
Pole Position

Default p1, there are several noises you may hear...

...we may need a bit more info on the low humming noise. I assume you have everything else turned off (AC, fan, lights, radio, etc.) and you can reproduce this noise consistantly by putting it in Drive and holdiong the brake.

Do you hear the same noise if you take your foot off the brake and the vehicle begins to move (let's say idle down the drive way)?

If you hold your foot on the brake, and raise the RPM just a little, do you hear the same noise (say around 1000-1200 RPM)?

Let us know what you find. One of the interesting charastistics of the 6 cyl eng at low RPM (lowered when you put it in Drive) is that low humming vibration sometimes noticable.
Old 04-20-03, 03:12 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Switch gas station.

I had this same humming noise with my 2002 RX300. It's a low frequency noise at the "perfect" pitch that annoys the hell out of me while waiting for red light. I didn't hear this noise during a road trip. When I returned, I decided to use a different gas station. A bit less convenient but the problem went away.
Old 04-23-03, 05:22 PM
p1fcl01
Rookie

Default To ederny

Hi ederny,

1. Let it roll down the driveway - No, it doesn't make the noise because I'm not holding the brakes.
2. Hold brake and bring idle up. The noise is gone.
3. Change gas station. No, this doesn't help. I've try and use premium gas.

Thanks
Frankie
Old 04-24-03, 01:50 PM
ederny
Pole Position

Default Frankie, not an easy problem..

...if you think it is a rough engine idle at the lower rpm (in drive and held by brake) then we may want to try some cleaner in the fuel tank like Techron. You can find it at some auto part stores. I've seen it at NAPA stores. I'm thinking one of the fuel injectors is dirty and it is noticable at low idle. Then again it could be a more expensive problem like an injector that is just not working well.

It could be other things related to a misfire at low rpm. However, I would start with this first.

How many miles did you say you had on it? Put in the Techron, take it on the highway and kick it in the butt! See if there is any improvement after a tank of gas.

Good Luck.

PS Can you confirm for us that you get the same noise when holding it with the brake in any of the gears including R, 1 and 2, not just D. Thanks!

Last edited by ederny; 04-25-03 at 03:43 AM.