RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Rear pop noise when braking or reversing

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-16, 02:31 PM
wing0
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rear pop noise when braking or reversing

Bear with me as I try to describe it as clearly as I can. If I use any terminologies wrong, please let me know. I am learning as I go.

HISTORY:
210k km, original suspension(everything).

Noise seems to be coming from left rear where we recently changed out the wheel bearing.
Mechanic took apart the axle carrier, but couldn't take off the strut rod so he took it off from the body's end. ABS sensor was disconnected inside the car and pulled out that way as it was almost impossible it take it off the axle carrier.

Everything reassembled back together and alignment was done.

PROBLEM:
3000km later, start getting a pop sensation from the rear when braking and usually happens when car reaches 20-30km/h. Reversing from standstill will output the same pop noise.
I can feel a slight thump feeling under my feet towards the back of the car. It seems to be coming from the body of the car.

What's done
I've disassembled the brake components, cleaned rotor to avoid any grease and torqued the caliper bracket to specs. I know this probably doesn't fix the problem, but just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything there.

I've also checked the 3 bolts holding the strut mount and they're torqued correctly.

I saw the mechanic use impact gun on the two lower suspension arms, so those should be tight.

Questions
What else should I check? Could the disassembly of strut rod cause this because it was tighten up on hoist instead of down on the ground?

I tried to feel any play in the stabilizer link, the two suspension arms and the strut rod. None feel loose and I don't think it would be since the noise only occurs at specific speed.
It's as if there is a shift of weight somewhere and causing one joint to move.

I may take off the wheel again tonight and check the suspension bolts. Other than that I haven't heard of other people having this issue. Usually the clunk/pop noise would happen when initially braking or moving. This is not the case and there is not much other suspension noise while going over bumps.
Old 01-31-16, 08:31 PM
wing0
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Based on the responses to this thread.
I'm sure everybody's dying to find out what was the cause.

Took it back to mechanic and after lifting it in the air + taking the wheel off.
We both noticed the nut/bolt holding the strut rod onto the axle carrier loose.

It was the only bolt that I didn't check when I lifted it up in my garage since it's right behind the dust shield.

Originally it was loosen for the wheel bearing replacement, but the bolt seized against the rubber bushing so the original mechanic gave up and went the alternate path. I guess he forgot to tighten it back up.

All good now, I thought I had to shell out more money for that corner. Whew...
Old 01-31-16, 11:59 PM
Raksan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm checking for reply too but didnt see. It's so nice of you to share the end result. Mine also has bit of pop noise from the rear but didnt check that yet.