RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

trans and diff fluid replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-15, 08:29 AM
matts6887
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts
Default trans and diff fluid replacement

I just went for a oil change at approx 146000 miles and when the shop did a inspection on the vehicle they said the trans fluid and the diff fluid were both dark and discolored. Is there a easy way to replace these? I ask because the shop wants 165 for the trans fluid exchange and 90 for each of the diffs.
Old 11-11-15, 11:14 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

both are in the stickys.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...er-change.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-case-diy.html

not hard but could be tedious and messy. Not be be facetious but if you needed a shop to do your oil change, this job is not for you.

I'm not sure the going rate for the whole drivetrain drain/fill..but 90 per diff is a rip off for removing and replacing 4 plugs with a place with a lift. It should be included with the price of the trans fluid change plus 2 quarts fluid.
Old 11-11-15, 11:15 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Matt:

There is a DIY for the diff and sticky on the trans.

Salim
Old 11-11-15, 05:57 PM
matts6887
Racer

Originally Posted by fastnoypi
both are in the stickys.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...er-change.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-case-diy.html

not hard but could be tedious and messy. Not be be facetious but if you needed a shop to do your oil change, this job is not for you.

I'm not sure the going rate for the whole drivetrain drain/fill..but 90 per diff is a rip off for removing and replacing 4 plugs with a place with a lift. It should be included with the price of the trans fluid change plus 2 quarts fluid.
Fast; the only reason why i wouldnt attempt doing oil changes on my own is because hoa's such as the one where I live frown big time on people doing work outside of your own garage. That and the fact my garage is not very big at all even though it has space for 2 cars it does not allow for a lot of "movement" under and around the vehicle due to space confinements. That and the fact that I just dont have all the mechanics tools in the world like some people do. I may have no choice but to go back to the shop to get it done because they have the facilities to take care of these items. I just cant afford close to 300 bucks for both of these services at the moment as i just do not have the revolving bank account for it so to speak.But I dont think i have any other choice

Last edited by matts6887; 11-11-15 at 06:06 PM.
Old 11-12-15, 05:40 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Matt, we've had this discussion before. Not to be mean, but what advice would you have expected to do the service easier when you can't do an oil change at your own place? HOA rules are one thing, but a 2 car garage is plenty of room to work in if you manage the space for a few hours and pull out one car. I'm sure you have some friends that have a driveway to use and can locate jackstands and a jack for you. As far as tools go, you probably already have the 2 sockets needed and 10mm allen key to get the job done. What about your sister's husband you used to speak of, to give you a hand?
Old 11-12-15, 08:33 AM
RX300CE
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you willing to get your hands dirty ? if you're handyman you can do anything, if you're not forget it, take your car to the shop pay for parts + labor simple as that .
Old 11-13-15, 08:46 AM
AnthonyMtz
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now, now, everyone settle down, now remember we are here to help one another, not judge. You either like what he say's or you don't, keep the negativity to yourself's, he just asked for advice, not to be bashed for going to get his oil changed.
Old 11-13-15, 09:16 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Originally Posted by AnthonyMtz
Now, now, everyone settle down, now remember we are here to help one another, not judge. You either like what he say's or you don't, keep the negativity to yourself's, he just asked for advice, not to be bashed for going to get his oil changed.
No one is bashing him for getting his oil changed or judging him. Advice was given on his pointed question for a DIY service without paying the shop premium and based on the OP's past posts on his tight budget.

Just pointing out again that he has plenty of options and support if he reaches out to friends for this job which is not difficult. 300 dollars that would otherwise go to a shop could pay for a good jack and stands that would pay themselves 100x over in the long run (if none were available to borrow) ..and have decent amount of cash left over.

I have confidence that he can do the job himself and that he may be underestimating his abilities.
Old 11-14-15, 10:59 AM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I can identify with the problems of limited space and the homeowners association issues. I found that taking one car out of the garage, and driving the "serviced" car in at a slight angle gave me plenty of room. Fortunately, a few simple tools and those jack stands will do the trick. You'll find more and more uses for them as time goes on. Fortunately, the weather in Arizona will always be on your side. I agree that this is something you probably can do very easily, but the biggest benefit I get is the satisfaction for having done it. Good luck, whatever you decide to do!
Old 11-16-15, 06:39 PM
matts6887
Racer

Well I have not done anything yet as Ive also had other things on my plate so to speak. But I will have to get it done at some point soon one way or the other. Not totally sure what Im gonna do and which direction im gonna head in yet.
Old 11-16-15, 06:42 PM
matts6887
Racer

Originally Posted by fastnoypi
Matt, we've had this discussion before. Not to be mean, but what advice would you have expected to do the service easier when you can't do an oil change at your own place? HOA rules are one thing, but a 2 car garage is plenty of room to work in if you manage the space for a few hours and pull out one car. I'm sure you have some friends that have a driveway to use and can locate jackstands and a jack for you. As far as tools go, you probably already have the 2 sockets needed and 10mm allen key to get the job done. What about your sister's husband you used to speak of, to give you a hand?
I would ask my sisters husband to help me out w it but the biggest problem there is he works everyday and is busy w family on the weekends as he has his wife and daughter to attend to; so its almost impossible to get it done w his help. I do have one other source that I might turn to to get it done. I havent talked to him yet about it but i may contact him.
Old 11-16-15, 07:41 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Just buy the materials and pay a mechanic in the hood $50-$100 to do them. It's maybe an hour to change all 3.
Old 11-17-15, 06:44 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

If they just top off the diff, that should be next to nothing. If they flush out the old fluid then it's going to be more. They should do the front diff when they do the trans as the front diff uses transmission fluid. You should probably change the transfer case fluid, too. Is your rear diff a limited slip? If so you need the correct additive for the (Torsen) diff.

Doesn't sound like your shop is charging any less than the Lexus dealer!
Old 12-22-15, 08:08 AM
matts6887
Racer

Well I finally got it done. Trans fluid flushed and refilled; done. Diff fluid in both diffs; done. Even though I know you guiys say its not good to do a complete flush it was done anyway because I was told by "other sources"(a toytoa source thats been around a very long time and another rx local group) that its ok to do a flush because thats what toyota would recommend.
Old 12-22-15, 11:00 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by matts6887
Well I finally got it done. Trans fluid flushed and refilled; done. Diff fluid in both diffs; done. Even though I know you guiys say its not good to do a complete flush it was done anyway because I was told by "other sources"(a toytoa source thats been around a very long time and another rx local group) that its ok to do a flush because thats what toyota would recommend.
I hope for your sake that you prove us wrong. I still stand for "no machine/power flush" for trans.

Salim

Quick Reply: trans and diff fluid replacement