RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

can't remove glovebox screws??

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-15, 04:02 AM
hsmac
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default can't remove glovebox screws??

can't remove the top two philips screws on the glovebox... what am i doing wrong? they're a little stripped now but even the tight fitting drivers won't make them budge.
Old 09-27-15, 04:09 AM
hsmac
Pole Position

Default can't remove glovebox screws??

i spent 1.5 hours trying to remove the top two philips screws on the glovebox to no avail. tried at least 10 different drivers and even though some fit snugly the screws would not budge and stripped a little instead. i have no idea what i'm doing wrong. what was supposed to take a few seconds has taken more time than the entire job of the repair. i'm fuming right now and really hate lexus. anyone have any advice? or is there a way to get them out by any means and just replace them with new ones later?

thanks
Old 09-27-15, 07:13 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by hsmac
can't remove the top two philips screws on the glovebox... what am i doing wrong? they're a little stripped now but even the tight fitting drivers won't make them budge.
Nothing, they are just crazy tight. Get the best fitting screw driver that you can and push hard. Maybe try an electric impact driver if you have one.
Old 09-27-15, 09:13 AM
maxSteel
Instructor

Received 240 Likes on 202 Posts

There is nothing special about those screws at all. They should have been a nothing part of the job.
Try putting the screwdriver in place and hammering the back of it a bit.

Failing that I guess you are stuck taking an extractor to them and cursing
Old 09-27-15, 10:55 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

All well intentioned DIYs can go wrong if you do not have good tools ... basic set of screw drivers and wrenches need to be good quality tools and reserved for their intended purpose PERIOD.

I like power tools but when for most of the DIY scope the tactile skill needs to be acquired over time. Once you select the right head and size, keeping the screwdriver perfectly perpendicular to the screw with enough downward pressure is essential. If the screwdriver lifts up, stop the turning force as you will strip the head. All this is lost is run of the mill power tools, generally used by DIYers.

Getting of the soap box ...
Put all the screws back and snug them. This will relieve the pressure on the stuck screws. The screws are at an angle, so adjust your body to ensure you are attacking the screw perpendicular to the screw. If the head has been deformed, use one of your cheap screw drivers and give it couple of taps from a light hammer to reseat the head. PB blaster spray (check if the plastic color is fast) squirt and few hammer blows, through a screwdrivers, will ensure the screw will come out. There is an impact driver which may be an overkill here gives a twisting force with a hammer blow.

NEVER NEVER reuse a deformed screw head ... different face is used to tighten and loosen ... security screws are made that way. If you do the next service will be impossible.

Salim
ps: Please help keep the forum orderly by not cross posting.
Old 09-27-15, 05:50 PM
hsmac
Pole Position

Originally Posted by salimshah
All well intentioned DIYs can go wrong if you do not have good tools ... basic set of screw drivers and wrenches need to be good quality tools and reserved for their intended purpose PERIOD.

I like power tools but when for most of the DIY scope the tactile skill needs to be acquired over time. Once you select the right head and size, keeping the screwdriver perfectly perpendicular to the screw with enough downward pressure is essential. If the screwdriver lifts up, stop the turning force as you will strip the head. All this is lost is run of the mill power tools, generally used by DIYers.

Getting of the soap box ...
Put all the screws back and snug them. This will relieve the pressure on the stuck screws. The screws are at an angle, so adjust your body to ensure you are attacking the screw perpendicular to the screw. If the head has been deformed, use one of your cheap screw drivers and give it couple of taps from a light hammer to reseat the head. PB blaster spray (check if the plastic color is fast) squirt and few hammer blows, through a screwdrivers, will ensure the screw will come out. There is an impact driver which may be an overkill here gives a twisting force with a hammer blow.

NEVER NEVER reuse a deformed screw head ... different face is used to tighten and loosen ... security screws are made that way. If you do the next service will be impossible.

Salim
ps: Please help keep the forum orderly by not cross posting.
good idea about putting the bottom screws back, though i'm not sure it will too much of a difference since the unit doesn't seem to move even after i've removed them. when you say reseat the head, are you referring to using the screwdriver to etch a groove into the head of the screw in the case where the screw is stripped? i wanted to put some spray but there really is no where to spray that would reach the point of contact. i've fixed a lot of things before, so this is quite frustrating. i have two different sets of drivers, and even after finding snug philips and flat head drivers the screws wouldn't budge.
Old 09-27-15, 06:06 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

you should just need to put some weight behind the screwdriver and use short twists.
An impact screwdriver worked perfectly for me and happened to have the perfect tip. They are cheap at harbor freight.
Old 09-27-15, 06:27 PM
hsmac
Pole Position

Originally Posted by fastnoypi
you should just need to put some weight behind the screwdriver and use short twists.
An impact screwdriver worked perfectly for me and happened to have the perfect tip. They are cheap at harbor freight.
do you mean manual or electric?
Old 09-27-15, 08:29 PM
salimshah

good idea about putting the bottom screws back, though i'm not sure it will too much of a difference since the unit doesn't seem to move even after i've removed them. when you say reseat the head, are you referring to using the screwdriver to etch a groove into the head of the screw in the case where the screw is stripped? i wanted to put some spray but there really is no where to spray that would reach the point of contact. i've fixed a lot of things before, so this is quite frustrating. i have two different sets of drivers, and even after finding snug philips and flat head drivers the screws wouldn't budge.
Friction between the glove-box and screw shoulder can be reduced by installing other screws. The glove box is held by two sided tape, so dont expect it to budge even with all screws out.

Just put the screw driver and instead of turning it, think of the screw driver and the screw like a nail. Use a hammer as if you are trying to drive the nail through. This would seat the screw driver better and and just might break the bind.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-impac...p-00947641000P

This would an overkill but you may like to give it a try. Good tool to have (I have one)

Have you disconnected the battery? There is an airbag back there.

Salim
Old 09-27-15, 09:30 PM
hsmac
Pole Position

Originally Posted by salimshah
Friction between the glove-box and screw shoulder can be reduced by installing other screws. The glove box is held by two sided tape, so dont expect it to budge even with all screws out.

Just put the screw driver and instead of turning it, think of the screw driver and the screw like a nail. Use a hammer as if you are trying to drive the nail through. This would seat the screw driver better and and just might break the bind.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-impac...p-00947641000P

This would an overkill but you may like to give it a try. Good tool to have (I have one)

Have you disconnected the battery? There is an airbag back there.

Salim
i put the bottom screws back and still had no luck. tried using pliers but there's not enough grip on the screw heads. i tried seating the screws per your suggestion but still nothing -- i didn't bang too hard fearing it might make things worse, but seeing as though you say might break some kind of bind i'll try again tomorrow. it's funny because i'm trying to clean my idle control valve at the same time, and have had better luck with those screws (which are supposed to be a b****). I haven't gotten them all out yet, but i was really doubtful after having so much trouble with the glovebox screws. i'll be looking into impact drivers tomorrow at the store.

i think next time i may just bring my car to my local mechanic. these DIY quick fixes are already costing me even though i really wanted that feeling of self accomplishment. that or i should steer away from lexus cars...

really appreciate your help and detailed responses, salim!
Old 09-27-15, 10:09 PM
salimshah

Things like this happen to experienced mechanics too.

Shoot us a pic or two and try squirting PB blaster. You dont want to go ape on the the tapping, but it may require a bit more than a gentle tap.

Another rule of DIYing ,,, Do one thing at a time. [I know what you are doing are unrelated, but start one project and complete it and test out for few days before tackling the next one.] Exception is when you have to tear down for one and the second fix would require the same tear down.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 09-27-15 at 10:13 PM.
Old 09-28-15, 05:04 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

do you mean manual or electric?
manual, it is spring loaded to keep constant tension on the screw while you turn...(and smack the end with a mallet/hammer )if needed. You shouldn't need to in your case, these screws are tapped into the plastic but may help to get started.

If you've never used one, here is a quick youtube vid on a stuck rusted screw to give you an idea the method. Good luck.

Last edited by fastnoypi; 09-28-15 at 05:18 AM.
Old 09-28-15, 08:49 AM
Baetke
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

A couple more tricks I have used with success.
1) put a little valve grind compound on your screwdriver bit to increase the "bite"
2) try tightening, then loosening, then tightening, then loosening, repeat... This can help the penetrating oil work better.
Old 10-02-15, 12:34 AM
hsmac
Pole Position

got the screws off with an impact driver! unfortunately, the same tool did nothing for the screws on the throttle body.... i'm still stuck on those
Old 10-02-15, 06:00 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

got the screws off with an impact driver! unfortunately, the same tool did nothing for the screws on the throttle body.... i'm still stuck on those
Good job.

Are you trying to clean the iacv? You should be able to take the throttlebody off to make more room and smack the impact driver with a hammer. A little heat on the screws or pb blaster should help too if they are extra stuck.

Quick Reply: can't remove glovebox screws??