RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

can't remove glovebox screws??

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-15, 05:34 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
Next thought would be to replace the IACV then you dont need to mess with the tiny screws.

or just cut the screw head off.

Salim
messing with those tiny screws is exactly the riskier method to cleaning the iacv. Those screws hold the servo together against the rest of the IACV.

Removal of the entire IACV off the throttle body, then cleaning it with carb cleaner, seafoam etc. is a much safer method and less invasive to the construction of the IACV unit.

You can actuate the IACV butterfly if you wire it to a 12V source before and after cleaning to notice improvement.
Old 10-10-15, 05:45 PM
hsmac
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Next thought would be to replace the IACV then you dont need to mess with the tiny screws.

or just cut the screw head off.

Salim
i don't understand. to replace the iacv i still need to remove the old screws and rescrew the new iacv right?

if i cut the screw head off, how do i get the threaded shaft out?
Old 10-10-15, 08:44 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

I am not sure at this time that we are talking about the same screws any more.

For IACV cleaning, here in CL we talk about removing the tiny screw head then get the slug out. IACV is the bigger piece with electrical connector and coolant hose.

Why dont you shoot us a picture.

Once the head is chopped of the two pieces separate. Then you have shaft of the screw sticking out. That should give you larger area to grab (as compared to the tapered head).

Salim
Old 02-17-16, 03:03 PM
hsmac
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not sure at this time that we are talking about the same screws any more.

For IACV cleaning, here in CL we talk about removing the tiny screw head then get the slug out. IACV is the bigger piece with electrical connector and coolant hose.

Why dont you shoot us a picture.

Once the head is chopped of the two pieces separate. Then you have shaft of the screw sticking out. That should give you larger area to grab (as compared to the tapered head).

Salim
hello, salim (and everyone else), i hope you are doing well.

i'm changing my b2s1 sensor this weekend and thought i should try revisiting this pesky iacv. last time i just sprayed some carb cleaner into the throttle body because i couldn't get the 3 iacv screws off. last time, you mentioned to use pliers at 90 degrees for extra torque. by that you mean they should be perpendicular to the screw shaft, correct? i tried doing that last time but there just wasn't any room whatsoever so i was forced to use them horizontally/vertically (without much surface area). i was using home depot husky brand needle nose locking pliers which should have been sufficient, but would try a more expensive pair if it would make a difference. they must be super tight though if bolt extractors wouldn't get them out though. if that fails i might hacksaw the screw head to allow for a flathead screwdriver. if the throttle body needs to be cleaned as well, i might just take off the whole thing and it would make the iacv easier.

thoughts?
Old 02-17-16, 10:07 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

The right tool is the right size phillips screwdriver. I gently tapped the crews with the screwdriver seated with a light hammer.

Now if the head is stripped you have to deal with size of your hands and tools available to you. Max torque is when the pliers are 90 degrees to the center line of the screw/bolt. The jaws have to bite into the head and not slip.

Replace the screws with hex head.

Salim