RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Remote external transmission spin-on filter install ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-16, 03:35 PM
6.0PSD
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thought I would be changing filter more often but just did it for first time...

Odometer is @107,000 and external filter was added @ 105k miles when I did the full fluid/internal filter change... Fresh fluid from bottle on left and fluid with 2k miles on right

There is a grayish haze coating on the filter and it shows on paper towel when wiped...

The old fluid shows up on the dipstick as very clean and a brighter cherry red when wiped on white paper towel but when poured into glass jar it looks like burgundy... Filled new filter prior to reinstall and it took almost the full quart...
Old 11-25-16, 10:03 PM
Drcoffee
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

If you left the original cooler in the fender, the transmission is running too hot. Mine was struggling to stay below 200* with the factory cooler. After deleting the factory cooler and replacing it with a B&M 22,000 BTU cooler in front of the condenser, it now runs no hotter than 185* in 95* ambient temps. Heat kills transmissions. The fluid breaks down when above 200* and loses its lubrication properties. The B&M cooler has a low pressure bypass system which helps prevent overcooling. And are solid units which can take stone hits without rupturing. You should monitor your tranny temps to find out how hot its running.

As for the fram filter you installed, you risk adding too much back pressure to the ATF fluid pump. The filter has a bypass valve built in, but its set to open much higher (12-16 psi) than the transmission is rated for. So the filter may be too restrictive. The Magnefine filter opens the bypass at somewhere near 2 PSI allowing fluid to flow through without damaging the pump. Just something to consider.
Old 11-26-16, 03:06 PM
6.0PSD
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Drcoffee
If you left the original cooler in the fender, the transmission is running too hot. Mine was struggling to stay below 200* with the factory cooler. After deleting the factory cooler and replacing it with a B&M 22,000 BTU cooler in front of the condenser, it now runs no hotter than 185* in 95* ambient temps. Heat kills transmissions. The fluid breaks down when above 200* and loses its lubrication properties. The B&M cooler has a low pressure bypass system which helps prevent overcooling. And are solid units which can take stone hits without rupturing. You should monitor your tranny temps to find out how hot its running.

As for the fram filter you installed, you risk adding too much back pressure to the ATF fluid pump. The filter has a bypass valve built in, but its set to open much higher (12-16 psi) than the transmission is rated for. So the filter may be too restrictive. The Magnefine filter opens the bypass at somewhere near 2 PSI allowing fluid to flow through without damaging the pump. Just something to consider.

I have yet to see trans temps above 170ish and currently mostly see 150-160 on all the runs I use it for which can last up to 1 hour run time, but did not monitor it much during summer heat...

As far as the ph8a filter specs go, I am sure it is a full flow and it has no bypass valve built in so no restrictions there... I really like that this setup uses almost a full quart more with this big filter and it's less than $4 to replace...

According to lexus the trans was replaced in 2007 and has about 30k miles and is running the original lines and fender cooler so I added the external filter to help it last longer... I'll try to change both external & internal filters in 12 months along with fresh fluid... I just need this car in good shape for the snow season as it is a pleasure to drive in snow...