RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Dreaded Transmission Fail - Sell or Repair?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-15, 06:25 PM
yaoster
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dreaded Transmission Fail - Sell or Repair?

We made it to 160,000 miles with our 2002 Lexus RX300 and were smooth sailing until the transmission gave out this week, which after research I've found is a problem.

So, $4,500 remanufactured transmission installed by Lexus dealer, or give up on the car and purchase another preowned.

We've always had the car serviced at the Lexus dealer so maintenance has been top quality, but just concerned if we drop this much into the car if it will last long enough to get our money back. Kelly Blue book value of the car is around $4K if all was working.

I'd appreciate any experience others in this situation have had and how it turned out for them. I was ready to push the RX to 200,000 miles but maybe time to pull the plug..
Old 09-14-15, 06:42 PM
99rx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

If you did all services according to Lexus and at the dealer, you should contact Lexus in regards to assistance in helping ease the cost of the transmission replacement.
But personally, the cars are great other than the few that have the issues. I would find a reputable shop, if you don't want to go the Lexus route, and see if it can be rebuilt and for how much. Usually it's much less than a re manufactured transmission. Good shops here in the Tampa Bay Area rebuild for ~$1500-2000.
Old 09-14-15, 10:11 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by yaoster
We made it to 160,000 miles with our 2002 Lexus RX300 and were smooth sailing until the transmission gave out this week, which after research I've found is a problem.

So, $4,500 remanufactured transmission installed by Lexus dealer, or give up on the car and purchase another preowned.

We've always had the car serviced at the Lexus dealer so maintenance has been top quality, but just concerned if we drop this much into the car if it will last long enough to get our money back. Kelly Blue book value of the car is around $4K if all was working.

I'd appreciate any experience others in this situation have had and how it turned out for them. I was ready to push the RX to 200,000 miles but maybe time to pull the plug..
Sorry to hear that your transmission gave out. I will start with a stupid question ,,, did your research found out that there is a problem or a mechanic found out that the transmission is dead after opening up the pan?

Assuming Lexus mechanic came up with the diagnosis and repair cost, I would have expected around 5K. No harm in asking for deeper discount. Be reasonable and keep in mind the discount will be purely goodwill.

what is the market value of your RX with a dead transmission if 4k is for working RX ... around 1k? So if you put in 4.5k to get it working and then sell it immediately you would loose 1.5K. That would be risk you carry. If the rest of the RX is in good condition and you can get 3 more years out of it then $500/yr is your cost. Depreciation is not going to be steep.

Another way to look at the above situation would be to ask yourself ,,, would you buy the current RX with a repaired transmission for 5.5K, knowing all the things about it? If NO, then go down the path of dumping this RX and be in the market for another vehicle.

Salim
Old 09-15-15, 03:55 AM
jimsRX300
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there any way you could look into a transmission shop? Or even an import guy? I tow with my 2003, the RAV4 ran the same transmission until 2012. I'm ready if need be. Perhaps swapping in a used one from there. Just need to change out the mount.
Old 09-15-15, 05:46 AM
JAB
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

My transmission failed at about 115K. I spent about $4k on a reman unit, installed by a Toyota dealer, and its still going strong at 230K.
Old 09-15-15, 05:00 PM
Bobster999
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jimsRX300
Is there any way you could look into a transmission shop? Or even an import guy? I tow with my 2003, the RAV4 ran the same transmission until 2012. I'm ready if need be. Perhaps swapping in a used one from there. Just need to change out the mount.
which mount? simple bolt on, nothing else?
Old 09-18-15, 09:35 PM
Bobster999
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobster999
which mount? simple bolt on, nothing else?
never mind, its only for the AWD
Old 09-21-15, 04:48 AM
jimsRX300
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I apologize for my late reply, I've been busy with the children and I'm not getting my thread updates.

A U140E/F transmission is just that. It was put in the RAV4 until around 2012. I found a few with less than 30K for around $550 USD. The guts are the same, just hopefully updated. Toyota really listens to their customers and makes changes to production if need be.

The mount in question is the US drivers side transmission case to sub frame mount. I went to pick n pull and pulled one off a badly burned 99. It needs to be swapped over to the RAV 4 transmission for it to install. I'd also change all the sensors and neutral safety switch.
Old 09-21-15, 08:07 AM
JAB
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Please keep us informed as your efforts continue; good luck.
Old 03-15-16, 08:58 PM
Robherrera
Driver School Candidate

Hi All - the transmission on my 2000 RX300 AWD failed as well, and it's only got 80k miles ;-/ It just started acting weird one day and then the check engine light came on with the P0765 code. I then serviced the transmission and found a lot of discouraging crap in the pan magnets. When I showed it to my mechanic friend, he said that it's a goner.

Does anyone have any sources for a new or remanufactured transmission in the San Francisco Bay Area other than the dealer? I already put an inquiry in at the dealer but I wanted to shop around. Thanks in advance!
Old 03-16-16, 06:52 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Robherrera
Hi All - the transmission on my 2000 RX300 AWD failed as well, and it's only got 80k miles ;-/ It just started acting weird one day and then the check engine light came on with the P0765 code. I then serviced the transmission and found a lot of discouraging crap in the pan magnets. When I showed it to my mechanic friend, he said that it's a goner.
Is it just the metal shavings in the pan or is the transmission inoperable. The P0765 is "Shift Solenoid D malfunction". Did the code go away when you serviced the transmission?
Old 03-16-16, 07:55 PM
salimshah

If the magnet looked like porcupine, then that is not to worry. If you found large metal chunks then yes there is something to worry.

The problem most reported here is related to planetary gears falling apart and that ends up as gray suspended material in the fluid.

I would suggest have the transmission examined by a good shop. They can then recommend couple of options and you can choose what is best for you.

Salim
Old 03-16-16, 08:19 PM
Robherrera
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Is it just the metal shavings in the pan or is the transmission inoperable. The P0765 is "Shift Solenoid D malfunction". Did the code go away when you serviced the transmission?
I reset the code before I serviced the transmission. I then drove the car and it was smooth but wouldn't shift to overdrive. Then after I turned around to go back home the check engine light came on again with the same code. I showed my mechanic friend the pic of the pan before I cleaned it, as well as described what I experienced and he suggested that I just buy a remanufactured transmission from Lexus and he'll install it for me. With only 80k miles on the car it's still worth investing on. Incidentally, the price Lexus quoted is not much more than other sources I've inquired at.
Old 03-16-16, 11:19 PM
salimshah

How about posting the picture here.

I dont want to outguess your friend mechanic. It seems you trust him, so go with his advice.

The bad transmission failure reported here involved No fwd movement and a bit of reverse and the no motion at all.

Salim
Old 03-16-16, 11:29 PM
Robherrera
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
How about posting the picture here.

I dont want to outguess your friend mechanic. It seems you trust him, so go with his advice.

The bad transmission failure reported here involved No fwd movement and a bit of reverse and the no motion at all.

Salim

Here's the image. I hope I uploaded this right.

Quick Reply: Dreaded Transmission Fail - Sell or Repair?