RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

New member/owner of a 2001 with 137k miles

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-15, 07:52 AM
scaryshark
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member/owner of a 2001 with 137k miles

Hello all,

New member here. Just bought a cosmetically-clean 2001 RX300 with 137k miles. I'm getting new tires and timing belt for it Thursday, and having a spare key programmed Saturday. Thus far the thing drives like a dream. If it doesn't explode of its own accord, I'm pretty sure I can be very happy with this vehicle.

In addition to the above listed items, what else should I look for and/or do as a preventive measure? I'm aware the transmission is a weak point with this, and that teh google pulls up spooky stories about the security system. It does have a receiver hitch, which I do plan to use from time to time to pull a small trailer.

Thanks in advance!
John
Old 08-18-15, 03:26 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

welcome and congrats. Just keep up with the maintenance and perform them if unknown history and take note of the wear and tear items that may not have been replaced by the previous owner.
Old 08-18-15, 04:02 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by scaryshark
Hello all,

New member here. Just bought a cosmetically-clean 2001 RX300 with 137k miles. I'm getting new tires and timing belt for it Thursday, and having a spare key programmed Saturday. Thus far the thing drives like a dream. If it doesn't explode of its own accord, I'm pretty sure I can be very happy with this vehicle.

In addition to the above listed items, what else should I look for and/or do as a preventive measure? I'm aware the transmission is a weak point with this, and that teh google pulls up spooky stories about the security system. It does have a receiver hitch, which I do plan to use from time to time to pull a small trailer.

Thanks in advance!
John
Welcome to CL. Along with the purchase, you get the outstanding support/help from CL members.

This is the first time I am hearing about spooky stories regarding RX alarm.
Have the transmission serviced (but not flushed). Service means take the pan off and filter replaced if needed.
The transmission has failed for some and not for some. Keep it serviced (again no gaurantees) and try not to stress it ... so think twice about trailer pulling.

It is a good vehicle but parts and service through authorized dealer can be expensive.

Salim

Salim
Old 08-19-15, 05:40 AM
scaryshark
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. I'm reading up on it as time allows. Seems like the complaints are from a relatively small percentage of owners. Should be a great car for me. I love the visibility, which is better than my wife's 2015 Forester.

John
Old 08-19-15, 12:42 PM
jwigley
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome.

Like many others, my transmission on my 2001 RX went out at about 90K.

The previous owner was an older conservative guy who maintained it exclusively at our local Lexus Dealership.

I had an after market warranty that took care of the tranny thankfully (was a $4600 cost at the dealership for refurbished).

Anyway, the replacement transmission drives clunky when shifting from 1st to 2nd and the dealership said that there is nothing wrong with it. Even though it drives worse than the previous faulty transmission. It's been like this for a few years now. I have had the transmission serviced within guidelines etc. As long as it keeps running until I get my newer vehicle then whatever I guess.

My advice is to drive slowly when first starting up and driving the vehicle. Don't accelerate fast or quickly for the first mile or so. Give the transmission time to get the fluid flowing. I am not a mechanic but I've read that the fluid just doesn't flow well in these units and that advice sounds good and conservative to me.

Last edited by jwigley; 08-19-15 at 03:52 PM.
Old 08-19-15, 04:41 PM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

welcome aboard!
Old 08-19-15, 08:12 PM
Raksan
Driver School Candidate

Welcome to the club! I too is a new owner of a 170K RX300. Love them very much so far!
Old 08-20-15, 06:38 AM
scaryshark
Driver School Candidate

Thanks!

I dropped it off for tires, timing belt and water pump this morning before work. I did neglect to verify that there's a key for the lug nuts (I assume they lock, but frankly I didn't even look for that), so hopefully there is one and they find it.

Saturday is new key day.

On the way home from work running cruise control yesterday, I got the check engine and VSC warning lights. Stopping and restarting the engine didn't clear them, but eating dinner did. I had a similar issue with my '09 Jeep Wrangler, in that I'd get a check engine light after running cruise control for more than 5 or 10 minutes. There was a transmission cooler component to that, apparently, and maybe a bad oxygen sensor. At any rate, I had to do another 35-ish miles of mixed driving last night and this morning and it didn't throw any warning lights at me.

I enjoy driving this vehicle.

John
Old 08-20-15, 07:48 AM
maxSteel
Instructor

Received 240 Likes on 202 Posts

You should read the stored codes, John.
Old 08-20-15, 08:05 AM
scaryshark
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by maxSteel
You should read the stored codes, John.
I picked up a reader last night but haven't had a chance to plug it in or learn how to use it yet. Probably won't have 3 minutes alone with it until Saturday afternoon.

John
Old 08-20-15, 08:37 AM
matts6887
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

welcome to the club and congrats on the purchase!; I am sure with proper maintenance etc you will have a long trouble free(hopefully) experience.
Old 08-20-15, 08:41 AM
matts6887
Racer

I picked up a reader last night but haven't had a chance to plug it in or learn how to use it yet. Probably won't have 3 minutes alone with it until Saturday afternoon.

John
the sooner you get them read the better. That way you can find out what it is and take care of accordingly.
Old 09-24-15, 08:22 AM
scaryshark
Driver School Candidate

It's occasionally throwing the firewall side O2 sensor code, but not reliably. This weekend I'll try re-seating the connectors and see if it keeps throwing codes. I'm told by a couple of people that re-seating the connectors does the trick as often as not, and it's free.

I also think this car likes being driven. It seems to run better the more I drive it. Maybe that's just my imagination, or maybe it spent its life driving to the store and back and never really getting warmed-up.

Additionally, I poured a bottle of Bar's Leaks Engine Repair 2 Part Formula into the motor to see if it actually does anything about the oil-burn at startup and slight oil usage in general. I figure for $10 it's worth giving it a shot. If it works, great, if it's snake oil, then I'm only out $10 and I move on.

Oh, and a question: Why does the VSC light come on with the engine light when it's only throwing the P1130 code?

John
Old 09-24-15, 09:40 AM
matts6887
Racer

It's occasionally throwing the firewall side O2 sensor code, but not reliably. This weekend I'll try re-seating the connectors and see if it keeps throwing codes. I'm told by a couple of people that re-seating the connectors does the trick as often as not, and it's free.

I also think this car likes being driven. It seems to run better the more I drive it. Maybe that's just my imagination, or maybe it spent its life driving to the store and back and never really getting warmed-up.

Additionally, I poured a bottle of Bar's Leaks Engine Repair 2 Part Formula into the motor to see if it actually does anything about the oil-burn at startup and slight oil usage in general. I figure for $10 it's worth giving it a shot. If it works, great, if it's snake oil, then I'm only out $10 and I move on.

Oh, and a question: Why does the VSC light come on with the engine light when it's only throwing the P1130 code?

John
you mentioned something about oil burn and slight oil usage. Well if its really a issue for you; you might have to do what a lot of people have done and tear apart the rear valve cover and replace it with the newer second gen rx rear valve cover; which from what Ive read over time thus far has solved the oil burning issue for most people that have had this issue. Just keep an eye on the oil burning and as i said if it becomes a issue you might have to do the valve cover swap which should hopefully solve the problem.
Old 09-24-15, 06:46 PM
Raksan
Driver School Candidate

John
I too have this P1130, I doubt the firewall o2 sensor life is out. Btw, I changed the bank1 sensor2 a month before, so this sensor has same age might fail too. And the VSC light will come when you have CEL because the system need to control engine but when the engine is not 100% work, so VSC will not work too, hence it throws you the code.

Quick Reply: New member/owner of a 2001 with 137k miles