RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

New member/owner of a 2001 with 137k miles

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-15, 07:43 PM
trapreo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by matts6887
you mentioned something about oil burn and slight oil usage. Well if its really a issue for you; you might have to do what a lot of people have done and tear apart the rear valve cover and replace it with the newer second gen rx rear valve cover; which from what Ive read over time thus far has solved the oil burning issue for most people that have had this issue. Just keep an eye on the oil burning and as i said if it becomes a issue you might have to do the valve cover swap which should hopefully solve the problem.
Read my post about oil consumption. It could save you a lot of money. Welcome.
Old 10-01-15, 12:47 PM
scaryshark
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the posts. I haven't had a chance to reseat the connector yet. I've had a couple of check engine lights but it's gone out by itself after the car sits for awhile. Moisture might also have something to do with it, as it doesn't seem to come on when it's dry. Reseating the connector ought to help.

It appears to not be using oil at this point. I haven't driven enough to say that definitively though. I'm just a bit over 139k miles at this point.

Do these all seem to oversteer a bit?

I love the car, even still. My wife laughs at me that now I'm spoiled. I am inclined to agree with her (last Fall I bought a 2009 BMW R1200GS motorcycle). Life is good.

John
Old 11-11-15, 07:22 AM
scaryshark
Driver School Candidate

I've been a slacker and have yet to touch the connector or really do anything with the vehicle. The check engine light has come on a couple of times and then gone back off. Some mornings there's a good puff of smoke when I start it, and other mornings not. It doesn't seem to be using any oil of late, and I think maybe it sat for awhile and just being driven regularly at a wide range of RPMs is helping. I look forward to seeing how it performs this winter when we've got some snow.

John
Old 11-11-15, 08:16 AM
matts6887
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Were you able to see what color the smoke was?(was it white or blue colored?)
Old 11-11-15, 12:56 PM
scaryshark
Driver School Candidate

Blue. No anti-freeze. Definitely smells like burning oil too, when I back up through it.

John
Old 11-11-15, 06:11 PM
matts6887
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by scaryshark
Blue. No anti-freeze. Definitely smells like burning oil too, when I back up through it.

John
It is possible you could be burning oil. Have you checked the oil level at all to see if its a bit low? If it is low that could be a indicator of burning oil in which case the valve cover swap might fix the issue as mentioned before despite what others may say. Ive been reading about the oil consumption issues and the fact that the rear valve cover swap has solved this issue for others.
Old 11-12-15, 10:08 AM
scaryshark
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by matts6887
It is possible you could be burning oil. Have you checked the oil level at all to see if its a bit low? If it is low that could be a indicator of burning oil in which case the valve cover swap might fix the issue as mentioned before despite what others may say. Ive been reading about the oil consumption issues and the fact that the rear valve cover swap has solved this issue for others.
If I ever have reason to get to the rear valve cover, then modification or swap is in order. As it is, it's not using as much oil as it was so I think I'll just live with it for now. Otherwise, it's a great vehicle that I enjoy driving.

John
Old 01-04-16, 10:26 AM
scaryshark
Driver School Candidate

Well, shoot. Drove the beast 2900 miles the week after Christmas (Indiana to Big Bend National Park and back) and burned about 1 quart every 150-200 miles. The tailpipe is black and almost wet. Recently had the exhaust system cleaned-up with a new flex joint and a couple of lengths of pipe welded-in where there was corrosion and leakage. Motor otherwise runs great but from outside the vehicle it is louder than sounds healthy (motor sounds, not exhaust sounds). Hrrrmmm.

John
Old 01-04-16, 04:06 PM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

Well, shoot. Drove the beast 2900 miles the week after Christmas (Indiana to Big Bend National Park and back) and burned about 1 quart every 150-200 miles. The tailpipe is black and almost wet. Recently had the exhaust system cleaned-up with a new flex joint and a couple of lengths of pipe welded-in where there was corrosion and leakage. Motor otherwise runs great but from outside the vehicle it is louder than sounds healthy (motor sounds, not exhaust sounds). Hrrrmmm.

John
Before attempting to change to the newer style valve cover, I would suggest a compression test be done on all cylinders.

Salim
Old 01-05-16, 12:27 PM
scaryshark
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, it sounds like that's where the problem lies. I suppose I'll just use if for around town until it dies, adding oil as necessary.

John
Old 01-05-16, 12:44 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
Before attempting to change to the newer style valve cover, I would suggest a compression test be done on all cylinders.

Salim
what's your thought process behind a compression test that would troubleshoot oil consumption?.. other than verifying part of cylinder health (without leakdown results).

OP..do you still have the P1130 cel code?
Old 01-05-16, 01:56 PM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

Originally Posted by fastnoypi
what's your thought process behind a compression test that would troubleshoot oil consumption?.. other than verifying part of cylinder health (without leakdown results).

OP..do you still have the P1130 cel code?
Want to eliminate oil from the piston side coming up and then eliminating bad valves.

Oil up the PCV path has been attributed to high rpm for longer duration. And oil dripping out if exhaust ... and noise ... things are not looking rosy ... [cat may be toast soon]

Salim
Old 01-05-16, 03:17 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Want to eliminate oil from the piston side coming up and then eliminating bad valves.

Oil up the PCV path has been attributed to high rpm for longer duration. And oil dripping out if exhaust ... and noise ... things are not looking rosy ... [cat may be toast soon]

Salim
true a broken ring land and exposed oiling ring could be pushing oil. Pulling plugs from all cylinders should identify the dead cylinder, however the OP mentions it runs "great" .

Eliminating bad valves is much easier with a leakdown test to force air though the exhaust if a bad exhaust valve and air out the throttlebody side if an intake valve leak.

The OP mentioned earlier he had a P1130 cel code, if the o2 sensor is soaked with oil it could indicate the rear cylinders are taking in oil from the pcv system.
Old 01-06-16, 07:29 AM
scaryshark
Driver School Candidate

Salim
Ugh. I hadn't even thought about the catalytic converter. Ugh.

Originally Posted by fastnoypi
true a broken ring land and exposed oiling ring could be pushing oil. Pulling plugs from all cylinders should identify the dead cylinder, however the OP mentions it runs "great" .

Eliminating bad valves is much easier with a leakdown test to force air though the exhaust if a bad exhaust valve and air out the throttlebody side if an intake valve leak.

The OP mentioned earlier he had a P1130 cel code, if the o2 sensor is soaked with oil it could indicate the rear cylinders are taking in oil from the pcv system.
It does run great, at least as far as I can tell. No problems when I put my foot in it, smooth at stead speed and smooth idle.

It still throws the code, and if it's burning as much oil as it seems to be burning I can't imagine that's not what's causing it.

John
Old 01-06-16, 08:31 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Ugh. I hadn't even thought about the catalytic converter. Ugh.

It does run great, at least as far as I can tell. No problems when I put my foot in it, smooth at stead speed and smooth idle.

It still throws the code, and if it's burning as much oil as it seems to be burning I can't imagine that's not what's causing it.

John
If you have another daily driver i highly recommend the upgrade rear valve cover replacement or recondition your old one if expenses are a concern. I can imagine shop labor being expensive but it is very doable as a DIY with minimal tools.

Fwiw, the only temporary stop gap measure that worked to keep oil out of the intake was an oil catch can that i used to use when i had the oil consumption problem. But you still have to keep an eye on your oil level both in the engine and catch can.

Quick Reply: New member/owner of a 2001 with 137k miles