RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Desirability of RX 300 ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-15, 07:47 AM
jonas's RX
Instructor

Received 153 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Desirability of RX 300 ?

Hi gang

I am looking for a RX 300 and what I notice these days is
Trying to find a clean low mileage is very hard to come by

To top it off , the resale value on the 300 is quite high .

It looks like the older 300 is selling higher than the MDX

Are owners just holding on to them ? What are some of the
mechanical issues with the RX ?

I found one from a used car dealer for $13,000 with 75K
On an 03 . It is a white one and it looks like the white one with
Low mileage also command a higher premium

Thanks everyone for your feedback
Old 08-05-15, 11:23 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts

Oil consumption and transmission failures seem to be the big mechanical issues that the 1st gen RX seems to face. Oil consumption if experienced can typically be fixed by updating the rear valve cover.
Transmission failures appear to be random from my observation.

minor issues with high milage RX include the occasional ABS sensor going bad and strut clunk. Both relatively cheap to DIY replace and refresh your vehicle.
Otherwise they are quite dependable as many report.

My 02 RX 300 is near 170k and the dealership has been offering to buy it back for the past 3 years...its is amazing that there is still a big demand on the used market.
Old 08-05-15, 12:31 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

The RX300 is extremely desirable, mine has been absolutely amazing! With only 225k miles on the clock right now, I hope to be driving it for another 3 or so years.

Having said that, I wouldn't pay $13,000 for a first gen RX today. You can get a second generation for that kind of money.
Old 08-05-15, 12:43 PM
bltkmt
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a 2003 300 back in November - 96k miles for just under $10k. From a dealer, who agreed to do the timing belt as well. Deals can be found.
Old 10-08-15, 03:43 PM
jfalger63
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 RX trans.

Just had to replace the transmission in my daughters 2002 RX300. only 115K original miles. Metal shavings in the fluid. First gear to go was reverse. I got a great deal on a re-man, but I wish that Lexus would have done something different for these after the problem started in 1999. You really have to baby it and the crazy part is that the less expensive Toyota version has way fewer issues. These are great automobiles though. Mine in a 2007 AWD. No problems so far. We also have a 1998 Sienna with 300k miles and not a bit of trouble with the transmission or oil consumption.
Old 10-19-15, 01:56 PM
Chesterfie
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jfalger63
Just had to replace the transmission in my daughters 2002 RX300. only 115K original miles. Metal shavings in the fluid. First gear to go was reverse. I got a great deal on a re-man, but I wish that Lexus would have done something different for these after the problem started in 1999. You really have to baby it and the crazy part is that the less expensive Toyota version has way fewer issues. These are great automobiles though. Mine in a 2007 AWD. No problems so far. We also have a 1998 Sienna with 300k miles and not a bit of trouble with the transmission or oil consumption.
How much do you think 02 RX300 AWD w/ all options purchased new about $48K brand new worth today? I am the only owner and it has 37K miles in excellent condition ( Interior (9.5/10). Exterior 9/10? KBB and other gave it $11.5K+ Is that about right or too low/too high? It's the mineral green/pearlescent color.

Thanks.
Old 10-19-15, 02:52 PM
jonas's RX
Instructor

Received 153 Likes on 98 Posts

Hi Chesterfie

I just bought a 01 AWD with 38K for 13K OTD from a Lexus dealer with clean carfax and 1 owner car. This include a shipping rate of $700. and I think 11.5K is very reasonable. The older RX with lower mileage is very difficult to find these days. I found afew with low mileage and they were all sold within days from the Dealer .

If your car is clean, I think you can pretty easily sell the car for 11.5K
Old 10-19-15, 04:20 PM
Chesterfie
Driver School Candidate

Dear Jonas's RX,

Can you tell me what you mean by "if you car is clean"?

Like your car, my car has very low mileage, and at this point I have no idea what maintenance services I need to do. Do you rec'd doing all that you did for your Lexus (TB, pump, etc.) that you performed (as you stated in a different thread)? I'm the original owner and I've always followed the basic maintenances to date as I don't drive it very often. Just very recently, I changed battery, tires, rotors & brakes, O2 sensors (due to CEL issue) per the shop's recommendation. However, I'm sure they don't have my interest in mind.

My car drives very well and I want to keep it that way. I requested help in a different thread on what other preventive/maintenance services might be necessary at this point for my car. From what I read from your past posts, do you think it's good idea for me to do all that you did also (change TB, all fluids, water pump, etc.)? I don't want to squander $$ to replace things I don't need as of yet. I think in hindsight, I didn't immediately need to change all 4 tires, brakes & rotors but moot point now.

Any suggestion? Thank you in advance for your help.

Also, want to say your car looks in excellent condition. Did it have GPS unit? I am looking to update my GPS map, but not sure if it's possible? It works well in most areas, but in some newer neighborhoods, it coudn't find them, but my newer Garmin unit could. I figured it's due for a map upgrade 14 years later, ya? Thoughts? Thanks.

Last edited by Chesterfie; 10-19-15 at 04:32 PM.
Old 10-19-15, 04:25 PM
jwigley
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chesterfie
Can you please tell me what you mean by "if you car is clean"?

Like your car, my car has v. low mileage and I don't know what kind of maintenance services I need to do. Do you rec'd doing all that you did for your Lexus (TB, pump, etc.) I'm the original owner and I've always followed the basic maintenances to date as I don't drive it very often. I posted a thread requesting help on what should be done at this point to my car, since I'm so clueless. Just want to make sure it continues to run well and safely, but at the same time don't want to squander $$ to replace things I don't need as of yet. Any suggestion? Thank you in advance.

He may mean "clean title" which means that it is not a salvage title.
Old 10-19-15, 04:35 PM
Chesterfie
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jwigley
He may mean "clean title" which means that it is not a salvage title.
I'm the original owner. Still kept everything even the receipt, sticker on the car, all paperwork, lol. So I assume that is "clean" enough, ya?
Old 10-20-15, 06:01 AM
bigboss
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chesterfie
I'm the original owner. Still kept everything even the receipt, sticker on the car, all paperwork, lol. So I assume that is "clean" enough, ya?
Nope, an original owner can get into an accident and buys it back from the insurance, everything still first owner but cars in a salvage title.
Old 10-20-15, 11:35 AM
mizak82
Rookie

I just tentatively put mine up for sale.

110k miles. Florida car. I doubt there is one cleaner out there unless it's rolling around in bubble wrap. Timing belt,struts,tires,battery all new in the last 6 months.

I'm looking at 4runners. Seems they hold value better than the Lexus's seem too. Just want a bigger suv w 4wd.

I love the rx. But I figure if I sell it now I can get a few bucks out of it. If I wait another two I won't. And from what I see there are a lot of beaters out there not many nice ones.
Old 10-20-15, 11:45 AM
JAB
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Year, color, awd?

Last edited by JAB; 10-20-15 at 11:45 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-20-15, 08:37 PM
mizak82
Rookie

She's fwd 2001. . that's why I would part with it. Didn't want the awd rx. Heard they were more prone to tranny issues. I bought this at 72k. Flushed the tranny then again at 100k. Tranny is solid. With the suspension done, rx330 18s and new tires. It drives better than new. <br/><br/><br/><br/><br/><br/>
Old 10-22-15, 08:12 AM
Pzindy
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The newest RX300 is now 16 years old. While rare exceptions can be found, there just are not very many "low mileage" vehicles of that age still around (regardless of make/model.)

Like it or not, I suspect the average RX300 buyer is now someone looking for a teenager's car, or maybe for an extra vehicle. I hesitate to use the word "beater" when describing any Lexus, but my point is that today's RX300 buyer is very different from the RX300 buyer in the early 2000's, and likewise different from those in the market for a new RX350.

RX300 owners today are probably more DIY minded, or at least used to dealing with independent shops instead of Lexus dealership service departments.

The above is strictly my opinion, please take with a grain of salt.

Quick Reply: Desirability of RX 300 ?