RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

after all these years, are the 4 airbags in my RX still good?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-15, 10:31 AM
sarah

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default after all these years, are the 4 airbags in my RX still good?

after all these years, are the 4 airbags in my RX still good?(2 front, 2 side)

I asked the Lexus dealer about this once. They said they would "inspect" them. It turned out what they meant by "inspection" was just having the technician start the car and see if the airbag light was on or not. The technician jokingly said the she could do a live test by detonating one of my airbags to make sure that it worked. If one worked, the other 3 must be fine. However, I'd have to pay for the replacement bag. I also did not see the logic in that.
Old 07-24-15, 11:21 AM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

I think we covered this discussion some-where else.

Early models had air bags which required inspection after 10yrs. Later the bags got improved and they do not require inspection. There has been self diagnosis in place for all and on failure it would switch the light on.

The inspection for early air bags involved physically checking for leak of chemicals around the bag [most of it is dry chemicals]. Over time the life expectancy checks have confirmed that the bags should outlast the life of the vehicle. The early air bags had been tested for ten years, hence the safety disclaimer was added in the vehicle owner's manual.

If you were charged 30mins labor (minimum to confirm the safety air bag light is off) then the tech did not do the visual inspection of each bag. I would expect that to be about 3-4 hrs of labor. You can go back and ask the service writer to show exactly what is required to inspect the early-air bags. It could be the tech was not informed that you have the early-air bags that require visual inspection.

Now there is a slight chance that I am misinformed about the visual inspection. If you find out, please correct me.

Salim
Note: There may not have been any improvement in the bag, and testing confirmed that the bags are good for life. [This can explain why the checking of the light is good enough].
Old 07-26-15, 10:48 AM
sarah

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by salimshah
I think we covered this discussion some-where else.

Early models had air bags which required inspection after 10yrs. Later the bags got improved and they do not require inspection. There has been self diagnosis in place for all and on failure it would switch the light on.

The inspection for early air bags involved physically checking for leak of chemicals around the bag [most of it is dry chemicals]. Over time the life expectancy checks have confirmed that the bags should outlast the life of the vehicle. The early air bags had been tested for ten years, hence the safety disclaimer was added in the vehicle owner's manual.

If you were charged 30mins labor (minimum to confirm the safety air bag light is off) then the tech did not do the visual inspection of each bag. I would expect that to be about 3-4 hrs of labor. You can go back and ask the service writer to show exactly what is required to inspect the early-air bags. It could be the tech was not informed that you have the early-air bags that require visual inspection.

Now there is a slight chance that I am misinformed about the visual inspection. If you find out, please correct me.

Salim
Note: There may not have been any improvement in the bag, and testing confirmed that the bags are good for life. [This can explain why the checking of the light is good enough].
I went to my nearest Lexus dealer and asked again. They wanted to charge me $540 labor to
physically inspect every airbag. Their standard posted labor rate is $135/hour. The job takes
4 hours, so $540. I do have a 15% off service coupon at this place. The service manager said
they have NEVER had anyone request such service.(during the 8 years he's been the service
manager)

When I got home, I called the other two Lexus dealers, as well as a Toyota dealer. All three
said about the same thing. 3.5 hours to 4 hours for airbag inspection. They wanted $450, $527,
$620.
The $620 was quoted by the Toyota dealer. This Toyota dealer is actually half a mile
driving distance from my house(walking distance). I don't even go there for simple oil/filter changes
because they charge $69 for that.($99 if I want Mobil 1) Crazy, isn't it? Now sure how so many
people are willing to pay those high prices at this Toyota... they have a huge service department
with at least 90 service bays and over 100 techs.

Last edited by sarah; 07-26-15 at 10:52 AM.
Old 07-30-15, 06:46 PM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

Let me put it this way.

In 2008 or 2009, I crunched my 1989 Mercedes 420 SEL. The steering wheel's SRS went off 100% fine.

Don't worry about it.

Worry absolutely none whatsoever if you wear your seat belt.