RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

New codes after repairs...

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-15, 09:07 AM
Jacklalane
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New codes after repairs...

To start, I want to start by saying you guys Rock! Thank you so much for helping me through my issues. Especially Salim and Fastnoypi, I certainly would have given up after the first hour without your patience and valuable help.
I replaced my knock sensors and harness, AF sensors, plugs, coil packs, valve cover gaskets (both were dried out and leaking), pcv, cleaned my maf and air filter and my RX is running like a dream, with full-time rather than intermittent OD.
My problem now is that after 60 miles my CEL came back on. I took it to Autozone and got the codes for lean combustion ratio: 0171 and 0174. I did notice on the way to Autozone that I was getting some pinging on hills and when accelerating to pass.
Has anyone else encountered this issue after the repairs I listed. If so, could you tell me what it took to resolve your problem or give me a troubleshooting path to get me started?
Again...Thank you SO much for all your help there is NO way I could have done it without you, and it is so good to have a greatly improved knowledge of my vehicle, it's engine and it's systems. The experience, though it took me forever (I could do it again in half the time or less) was pure gold.
Kind Regards,
Russ (Jacklalanne)
Old 07-10-15, 10:05 AM
Z07
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check for induction leak airbox to intake especially after the MAF. Use probing squirts of starter spray.

Was the PCV grommet replaced too?
Old 07-10-15, 12:43 PM
Jacklalane
Driver School Candidate

Default Z07: You nailed it~*

I am embarrassed to say that at the end of a long day I had forgotten to tighten any of the three clamps. Tightened now and no CEL or pinging.

I have sort of been holding my breath and waiting to re-install the tray and wiper hardware. I have seen a few posts by members that have done the same repairs and had the cel come back on shortly thereafter throwing the same codes for the sensors. Wondering now if I should go ahead and finish up or wait a couple hundred miles. It is running so nice now I am definitely tempted to call it good and button things up.

Thank you so much!
Old 07-10-15, 12:45 PM
Jacklalane
Driver School Candidate

Default Btw...

My pvc is the screw in type so there is no grommet to check. Thanks
Old 07-12-15, 12:56 PM
manianac
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A few people forget to put the hose back on the PCV when they take the intake manifold off. I'm assuming you attached the booster hose since that one is pretty obvious
Old 07-26-15, 02:52 PM
Jacklalane
Driver School Candidate

Default A new CEL code...

I am now getting a P0420 code and since it is still so close timewise to my knock sensors, harness O2 sensors etc work I am suspicious that it may have something to do with that work. Does anyone have any thoughts on what I may have left loose to cause this. I have put 700 miles on since doing the work so I'm definitely not ruling out it being completely unassociated with that project. Thanks in advance. Russ (Jacklalanne)
Old 07-26-15, 04:07 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Jacklalane
I am now getting a P0420 code and since it is still so close timewise to my knock sensors, harness O2 sensors etc work I am suspicious that it may have something to do with that work. Does anyone have any thoughts on what I may have left loose to cause this. I have put 700 miles on since doing the work so I'm definitely not ruling out it being completely unassociated with that project. Thanks in advance. Russ (Jacklalanne)
usually a p0420 code is typically caused by an exhaust leak pre-cat. Double check the o2 sensors you installed if they didnt spin back out. If you used anti-seize, hopefully you didnt get any on the element to throw the code. Before anything, be sure to clear the code and see if it is repeatable with some added miles.. Anti-seize or burning oil can affect the o2 sensor readings...sometimes after getting the exhaust hot enough the code can be cleared and not come back.

Good luck!
Old 07-26-15, 06:14 PM
maxSteel
Instructor

Received 240 Likes on 202 Posts

I got that when one of the exhaust system donut gaskets started leaking. I had heard it when i was next to a wall but ignored it until it threw a code. The dealer wanted to replace the cat. I told them to just change the gasket. They reluctantly did it. I think it threw the code one more time and then never again.
Old 07-27-15, 12:22 AM
Jacklalane
Driver School Candidate

Default Thank you...

Fastnoypi and maxSteel...I will check those components tomorrow morning when I get off work. The O2 sensors came with anti-seize on the threads so I will check them for snugness as well as all the exhaust clamps etc. There are no audible leaks that I can hear over the normal engine noise but I'm sure that doesn't necessarily mean much. Thank you so much...
Old 08-03-15, 09:03 AM
Jacklalane
Driver School Candidate

Default P0420 code

Life (work around the house) has interfered with my plans to check this out up until yesterday. I was pretty sure it was going to be a matter of the O2 sensor having backed out, but it was good and tight still. Since it is the 420 code only and not the 430 I am thinking this must narrow it down to a few components. Any thoughts about which ones it could be and how I can best go about testing for them? Thanks in advance for your help in bailing my butt out once again.
Kind Regards,
Russ (Jacklalanne)