RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Transmission Temperature Sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-15, 11:00 PM
Kauaiguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Temperature Sensor?

OK Guys'

Don't know much about these things but I have a 1999 Lexus RX300 and here's the problem.

When it's cold, I have to drive it at least 1/2 mile before the transmission shifts from 2nd to 3rd gear?

It shifts easily from 1st to 2nd, but ... when the car is going 20-25 mph, I can see the tachometer reading over 2000 rpm. Then after I hit about 1/2 mile, the car shifts to 3rd and the RPM drops to about 1700 RPM.

BUT .. of course there's another but ... if I let the car warm up for at least 2 minutes, I don't have this problem.

Searching the internet, I keep coming up with a transmission temperature sensor problem as being the problem. I don't know if this is true or not.

Trouble is: I can't get anyone (mechanics, car repair shops) to look into this. I fear that if I take it to any transmission shops, they'll want me to replace the transmission.

Any input appreciated. I don't even know if there is such a thing as a trans temp sensor and I hate to sound like an idiot ... but ( there I go again!) Am I stuck with this problem?

Mahalo, Thank You, Muchas Gracias and all that stuff.
Old 06-07-15, 11:15 PM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Originally Posted by Kauaiguy
OK Guys'

Don't know much about these things but I have a 1999 Lexus RX300 and here's the problem.

When it's cold, I have to drive it at least 1/2 mile before the transmission shifts from 2nd to 3rd gear?

It shifts easily from 1st to 2nd, but ... when the car is going 20-25 mph, I can see the tachometer reading over 2000 rpm. Then after I hit about 1/2 mile, the car shifts to 3rd and the RPM drops to about 1700 RPM.

BUT .. of course there's another but ... if I let the car warm up for at least 2 minutes, I don't have this problem.

Searching the internet, I keep coming up with a transmission temperature sensor problem as being the problem. I don't know if this is true or not.

Trouble is: I can't get anyone (mechanics, car repair shops) to look into this. I fear that if I take it to any transmission shops, they'll want me to replace the transmission.

Any input appreciated. I don't even know if there is such a thing as a trans temp sensor and I hate to sound like an idiot ... but ( there I go again!) Am I stuck with this problem?

Mahalo, Thank You, Muchas Gracias and all that stuff.
Welcome to Club Lexus.

Please read the sticky threads and the owners manual.

What you are encountering is normal behavior. RX locks out the high gear to help engine warmup quicker to attain normal operating temperature. So drive and try to keep below 3000rpm till the high gear is available.

If you read the owners manual, you will see that idling to warm up is not recommended. Put the energy to use and you will warm up quicker if you drive.

Salim
Old 06-08-15, 10:00 AM
Kauaiguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
Welcome to Club Lexus.

Please read the sticky threads and the owners manual.

What you are encountering is normal behavior. RX locks out the high gear to help engine warmup quicker to attain normal operating temperature. So drive and try to keep below 3000rpm till the high gear is available.

If you read the owners manual, you will see that idling to warm up is not recommended. Put the energy to use and you will warm up quicker if you drive.

Salim
WOW! Thank you so much! And here I was ready to put out some bucks for a repair that isn't needed!

Shows you what I know, I just spent over $500 on Michelin tires that I didn't need because some repair shop said that the ones I had had cracks all over them. $415.00 for a new battery from the same mechanic ... and $1050.00 for new struts from my old mechanic ... but (here I go again), that one made quite a difference in the ride.

Once again, you guy's ROCK! as they say.

Oh yeah, I bought this car late October of last year because my F150 needed a new transmission and the quote was 5 grand. The price of living in Hawaii!

Aloha and Mahalo all!

Let me add this one last thing: There are some rails at the top of my car for what I assume is for a car top rack. I want to haul a 45lb Kayak and emailed 3 dealers on the weight limit of the roof.

One said, "I don't know" another said "125 lbs" and yet another said " 175 lbs" ... Is that crazy or what? You don't know who to trust anymore!

Last edited by Kauaiguy; 06-08-15 at 10:04 AM.
Old 09-11-22, 01:58 PM
Lexu5Own3r
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2004 RX300 - P0712 Error

Dear Lexus Forum members;

Does anyone know where the transmission temperature sensor is located on a 2004 RX300 (not sure if they sold these in the US. I have a UK model) it could be the same as the RX330 or RX350, I'm not sure. I have a P0712 error and the ATF is slipping.

What part do I need to buy and replace? I contacted Lexus, they said there was no such parts for my vehicle!! I can see a video on YouTube where someone is replacing the sensor on a Landcruiser transmission but can't see anything about my vehicle model's sensor replacement/checking of wiring,

Can anyone help please?

Last edited by Lexu5Own3r; 09-11-22 at 02:17 PM.
Old 09-11-22, 02:20 PM
maxSteel
Instructor

Received 240 Likes on 202 Posts

This is from the instructions on removing the valve body. Another page says the valve body must come out to get at it.
The drawings aren't very clear, hard to tell for sure.

This guy mentions "take the bolt out of the temp sensor" but he hasn't taken the valve body off yet:

Last edited by maxSteel; 09-11-22 at 02:25 PM.
Old 09-11-22, 02:39 PM
Lexu5Own3r
4th Gear

Thanks for the reply MaxSteel

Is this for my Vehicle (2004 RX300) ? Do you have the part number for the sensor and harness that's in that image please?

And how do I get hold of one of those manuals? The one I have is more basic by the look of it! I paid £25 for a Haynes manual but not much detail in it!

Cheers

Last edited by Lexu5Own3r; 09-11-22 at 02:56 PM.
Old 09-11-22, 03:07 PM
maxSteel
Instructor

Originally Posted by Lexu5Own3r
Thanks for the reply MaxSteel

Is this for my Vehicle (2004 RX300) ? Do you have the part number for the sensor and harness that's in that image please?

And how do I get hold of one of those manuals? The one I have is more basic by the look of it! I paid £25 for a Haynes manual but not much detail in it!

Cheers
Google for "rx300 Automatic transaxle (ax) pdf". I don't have any part numbers

Technically there is no 2004 RX300
This manual is for the U140 transmission which is used in many Toyota vehicles.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota...smission#U140E

So the question is, what model transmission is your vehicle equipped with?
From that Wikipedia page, maybe its a U151? Is it 4-speed or 5-speed?

Old 09-11-22, 03:17 PM
Lexu5Own3r
4th Gear

Originally Posted by maxSteel
Google for "rx300 Automatic transaxle (ax) pdf". I don't have any part numbers

Technically there is no 2004 RX300
This manual is for the U140 transmission which is used in many Toyota vehicles.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota...smission#U140E

So the question is, what model transmission is your vehicle equipped with?
From that Wikipedia page, maybe its a U151? Is it 4-speed or 5-speed?
The ATF model is a "U151F"

Cheers for this mate, I'll try and get the part number, if not I'll contact the dealer and show them the diagram you sent me. I'm replacing the ATF filter and fluid next weekend. Would be good to replace the sensor as well while I'm at it
Old 09-12-22, 05:25 AM
maxSteel
Instructor

Good luck.

I see the part listed as "U167446E" at "whatever it takes transmission parts", but none in stock:
https://www.wittrans.com/parts?type=...ction=223_case
I didn't see it in stock anywhere else either.
Old 09-13-22, 05:27 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

$450 for battery? wow
Old 09-29-22, 02:38 PM
Lexu5Own3r
4th Gear

Originally Posted by maxSteel
Good luck.

I see the part listed as "U167446E" at "whatever it takes transmission parts", but none in stock:
https://www.wittrans.com/parts?type=...ction=223_case
I didn't see it in stock anywhere else either.
The issue has been completely resolved!!

Vehicle: 2004 Lexus RX300
Auto Transmission: U151F - 5 Speed
Issue: Transmission slipping and making load whining noise (not drivable)

What I did:

Removed the trans pan, and filter. Then cleaned the solenoids, There are 7 in total, 3 can be removed completely and 4 almost completely (can be removed fully but more disassembly would be needed). The ones I removed I used break fluid on them and high pressure air gun to clean them. The other 4 I just used air when they were still in the transmission (thought it was better than nothing). The trans fluid, filter and pan magnets were dirty. 5 litres came out all together.
I cleaned the pan and magnets, got a new gasket, sump washer, torqued all the bolts back according to the manual, refilled the ATF, went through the gears, re- checked level, Job done.

It's now like it has a brand new transmission!!

Thanks maxSteel for your advice and all the info and links you sent through.

Last edited by Lexu5Own3r; 09-29-22 at 02:51 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Lexu5Own3r:
maxSteel (09-29-22), salimshah (09-29-22)