RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Rear Wheel Speed Sensor/Signal Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-15, 10:59 AM
BlackRX300
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear Wheel Speed Sensor/Signal Replacement

After removing the speed sensor from the rear wheel, where does the electrical wire go to inside the car?
Right rear wire runs into the back compartment some where. Does anyone have a picture of the connector location?

I know you have to remove the right rear trim panels, so I'm looking for the the wire connection inside.

Thanks.
Old 03-21-15, 03:13 PM
maxSteel
Instructor

Received 240 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackRX300
After removing the speed sensor from the rear wheel, where does the electrical wire go to inside the car?
Right rear wire runs into the back compartment some where. Does anyone have a picture of the connector location?

I know you have to remove the right rear trim panels, so I'm looking for the the wire connection inside.

Thanks.
See attached
Attached Thumbnails Rear Wheel Speed Sensor/Signal Replacement-abs-1.png   Rear Wheel Speed Sensor/Signal Replacement-abs-2.png  
Old 03-22-15, 08:05 AM
BlackRX300
Driver

Thanks

After I cleaned the speed sensor, I took the RX for a drive. Is it normal to get sporadic speeds and jerking for a while after this? The car runs ok up to around 30-40 mph then starts kind of jerking, then smooths out. Also, after getting to about 70mph, the cars acts like it has a governor on it and will not go any faster.

After driving for around 10 mins, everything seems fine now. Just wondering if this was normal or I did something to cause this or do I need a new speed sensor.

Thanks
Old 03-22-15, 10:20 AM
maxSteel
Instructor

Thanks

After I cleaned the speed sensor, I took the RX for a drive. Is it normal to get sporadic speeds and jerking for a while after this? The car runs ok up to around 30-40 mph then starts kind of jerking, then smooths out. Also, after getting to about 70mph, the cars acts like it has a governor on it and will not go any faster.

After driving for around 10 mins, everything seems fine now. Just wondering if this was normal or I did something to cause this or do I need a new speed sensor.

Thanks
Those symptoms are not the product of the abs sensors.

Low speed activation will happen when a sensor or reluctor is failing.
if all sensors fail you will lose the speedometer. abs and cel will be on. I've had this multiple times and it doesn't affect performance. Just no speedometer, cruise control, mpg is wrong.
Old 03-22-15, 11:17 AM
BlackRX300
Driver

Originally Posted by maxSteel
Those symptoms are not the product of the abs sensors.

Low speed activation will happen when a sensor or reluctor is failing.
if all sensors fail you will lose the speedometer. abs and cel will be on. I've had this multiple times and it doesn't affect performance. Just no speedometer, cruise control, mpg is wrong.
The symptoms I stated only started after I cleaned the rear wheel speed sensor.
This is the only thing I did yesterday. Would this have cause a problem else where?

The speed odometer works, no CEL light, no ABS light.

So, do I need a new speed sensor?

Last edited by BlackRX300; 03-22-15 at 11:31 AM.
Old 03-22-15, 12:09 PM
maxSteel
Instructor

The symptoms I stated only started after I cleaned the rear wheel speed sensor.
This is the only thing I did yesterday. Would this have cause a problem else where?

The speed odometer works, no CEL light, no ABS light.

So, do I need a new speed sensor?
Based on the information at hand I couldn't suggest anything at all.
Why were you removing the speed sensor to begin with?
Old 03-22-15, 01:23 PM
BlackRX300
Driver

Based on the information at hand I couldn't suggest anything at all.
Why were you removing the speed sensor to begin with?
Oh sorry, I didn't state the reason, it was in another post.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...s-answers.html

The VSC, Check Engine and TRAC OFF lights are all on. One suggestion as to why this happens is that the right rear wheel sensor needs replaced or at least cleaned.

Here are the codes and info AutoZone scanned for me.

C0210

Right rear speed signal malfunction

C1223

ABS Malfunction

P0174

After cleaning the sensor, the car was sporadic. I just went for a drive on back roads and interstate. All seems to run ok now, however, the VSC, CEL and TRAC OFF lights all came back on after driving about 10 mins.

What now?
Replace sensor?

I really don't want to take the RX to the dealer.
Old 03-22-15, 04:13 PM
maxSteel
Instructor

Oh sorry, I didn't state the reason, it was in another post.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...s-answers.html

The VSC, Check Engine and TRAC OFF lights are all on. One suggestion as to why this happens is that the right rear wheel sensor needs replaced or at least cleaned.

Here are the codes and info AutoZone scanned for me.

C0210

Right rear speed signal malfunction

C1223

ABS Malfunction

P0174

After cleaning the sensor, the car was sporadic. I just went for a drive on back roads and interstate. All seems to run ok now, however, the VSC, CEL and TRAC OFF lights all came back on after driving about 10 mins.

What now?
Replace sensor?

I really don't want to take the RX to the dealer.
Mine is a 1999 RX300 AWD. I've never seen the C0210 or C1223 code. I am able to read the ABS codes using the ABS code read procedure where you count the blinking ABS light.

C1223 is probably fallout from C0210. That code can be caused by either the sensor, the sensor circuit, or the reluctor (a.k.a. "Tone Ring"). I think lots of us have experienced broken tone rings, so I would check that first. See if it is loose, cracked, damaged, or outright missing.

The diagnostic procedure for the sensor is:
Measure resistance between terminals 1 and 2 of the speed sensor connector. Resistance 0.6 - 1.8 Kohm passes

Measure resistance between terminals 1 and 2 of speed sensor connector and body ground. Resistance 1Mohm or higher passes

Verify the sensor is seated properly and is clean

In my experience the ABS issue has no impact on the engine, i.e. it doesn't go into 'limp mode'.
P0174 probably does, or if not, maybe the cause of it is impacts the performance as you described. You said after clearing codes again only the ABS related codes came back?

The diagnostics say possible trouble areas are
  • Gas leakage on exhaust system
  • Air intake hose loose
  • Fuel line pressure
  • Injector blockage
  • Mass air flow meter
  • Engine coolant temp sensor
  • A/F sensors (bank 1,2 sensor 1)
And it can also be caused by running out of gas
Old 03-23-15, 10:27 AM
BlackRX300
Driver

Mine is a 1999 RX300 AWD. I've never seen the C0210 or C1223 code. I am able to read the ABS codes using the ABS code read procedure where you count the blinking ABS light.

C1223 is probably fallout from C0210. That code can be caused by either the sensor, the sensor circuit, or the reluctor (a.k.a. "Tone Ring"). I think lots of us have experienced broken tone rings, so I would check that first. See if it is loose, cracked, damaged, or outright missing.

The diagnostic procedure for the sensor is:
Measure resistance between terminals 1 and 2 of the speed sensor connector. Resistance 0.6 - 1.8 Kohm passes

Measure resistance between terminals 1 and 2 of speed sensor connector and body ground. Resistance 1Mohm or higher passes

Verify the sensor is seated properly and is clean

In my experience the ABS issue has no impact on the engine, i.e. it doesn't go into 'limp mode'.
P0174 probably does, or if not, maybe the cause of it is impacts the performance as you described. You said after clearing codes again only the ABS related codes came back?

The diagnostics say possible trouble areas are
  • Gas leakage on exhaust system
  • Air intake hose loose
  • Fuel line pressure
  • Injector blockage
  • Mass air flow meter
  • Engine coolant temp sensor
  • A/F sensors (bank 1,2 sensor 1)
And it can also be caused by running out of gas
Thanks maxSteel,

I had the codes read by Advance Auto and lately AutoZone.

After reading several post on here, I was lead to the rear wheel sensor. The ABS system seems to be working correctly. I've cleaned the MAF and PCV valve, replaced the gas cap, replaced the air filter, checked for vacuum leaks and now have cleaned the rear wheel sensor.
I'm leaning toward replacing the sensor next.
The RX still drives and handles just fine, gas mileage also seems about normal.

Got my attention when all of these lights came on at once. (CEL, ABS, TRAC OFF)

Can you elaborate more on the "Reluctor" or "Tone Rings". I have not heard of this before.

Thanks again
Old 03-23-15, 11:28 AM
maxSteel
Instructor

The sensors is stimulated by the teeth of the reluctor which is about 1/4" in front of the nose of the sensor. When the ring breaks, cracks, loses teeth, falls off, whatever, the sensor can't accurately tell how fast the wheel is turning. It's the same code as for a sensor failure.
Search for threads on abs problems, there are pictures. I think there is also a sticky on changing a busted ring that has pics. It just looks like a toothy gear right by the abs sensor. It should be firmly locked to the axle, clean, and intact.
Old 03-23-15, 12:37 PM
BlackRX300
Driver

The sensors is stimulated by the teeth of the reluctor which is about 1/4" in front of the nose of the sensor. When the ring breaks, cracks, loses teeth, falls off, whatever, the sensor can't accurately tell how fast the wheel is turning. It's the same code as for a sensor failure.
Search for threads on abs problems, there are pictures. I think there is also a sticky on changing a busted ring that has pics. It just looks like a toothy gear right by the abs sensor. It should be firmly locked to the axle, clean, and intact.
I found the post with the pics on replacement of the reluctor "tone ring". WOW, that looks like a PITA DIY.

Would it be smart to first replace the sensor? Looks like a pretty strait forward DIY.
Old 03-23-15, 05:13 PM
maxSteel
Instructor

I found the post with the pics on replacement of the reluctor "tone ring". WOW, that looks like a PITA DIY.

Would it be smart to first replace the sensor? Looks like a pretty strait forward DIY.
There is no point in paying for a new sensor when the problem lies elsewhere. You don't need to replace the ring to know it's bad. Mine aren't subtle. One slides around, another fell off. I haven't fixed them.
Old 03-24-15, 09:03 AM
BlackRX300
Driver

There is no point in paying for a new sensor when the problem lies elsewhere. You don't need to replace the ring to know it's bad. Mine aren't subtle. One slides around, another fell off. I haven't fixed them.
Ah...

Do you still have the CEL, VSC and TRAC OFF lights on?
My ABS light is NOT on.

How hard is replacing the ring on a scale from 1 to 10?
Old 03-24-15, 10:26 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

How hard is replacing the ring on a scale from 1 to 10?
id rate a 5 since its more a PITA to expose the outside axle end to install the ring.

FWIW, the DIY here shows a bandaid fix of attempting to repair with epoxy which showed a poor end result. A new tone ring is less than $20 from rock auto.
Old 03-24-15, 11:53 AM
BlackRX300
Driver

Originally Posted by fastnoypi
id rate a 5 since its more a PITA to expose the outside axle end to install the ring.

FWIW, the DIY here shows a bandaid fix of attempting to repair with epoxy which showed a poor end result. A new tone ring is less than $20 from rock auto.
Yeah, I would have a new one.
$20 is good, the DIY looks BAD.

Quick Reply: Rear Wheel Speed Sensor/Signal Replacement