RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Instrument Cluster Drive Gear Indicator Light Out

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-09, 07:18 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

man,thats a lota work for a little "D" light.
Old 04-06-09, 01:41 PM
alaskaty
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus114
man,thats a lota work for a little "D" light.
It honestly takes about 10-15 mins. Just have to undo 5 screws total and pry off 3 things held on with retention clips. I've done it twice (apparently I didn't secure the bulb all the way and it popped out)
Old 04-07-09, 12:42 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by alaskaty
It honestly takes about 10-15 mins. Just have to undo 5 screws total and pry off 3 things held on with retention clips. I've done it twice (apparently I didn't secure the bulb all the way and it popped out)
Im surprised all of my bulbs dont pop out from these roads!! glad to hear its a quick fix though.
Old 04-10-09, 04:19 PM
cduluk
Pole Position

Just for future reference:

The P bulb is under the white. Don't start 3 down from R :P
Old 05-17-09, 06:06 AM
m1tk4
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, when you take a bulb out you can look through the hole and see the letter it matches to - just to make sure you are replacing the right one.
Old 01-11-10, 04:56 PM
EricSpence
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by VVT-i
You will need to remove the 2 philip head screws on the upper part of black plastic cover around the cluster. Then remove the plastic trim around the ignition key cylinder and another plastic trim on the left side ( the seat memory and remote mirror switch are in this trim) and both of these trims just pop out.
After remove the black plastic cover around the cluster, you will need to remove 3 move philip head screws that hold the cluster. Remove the cluster out of its housing and carefully disconnect 3 connectors.
Then place the cluster face down on a towel to protect the clear cover. You will see the 'D' light from the back side. Just count the indicator light start from the bottom until you get to ' D'. Just use a small flat head screw driver and turn counter clockwise to remove the bulb. If you are not sure it's the right bulb you just removes, just shine the flash light behind it . Good luck.
Perfect instructions! I bought the bulb at Lexus parts for $7, followed your step by step instructions and was completely done in 30 minutes. Now the "D" light works again. Awesome!
Old 01-19-10, 08:18 PM
rmwest
Driver School Candidate

Smile Process To Replace "D" Light

I know this is a very old thread, but light bulbs continue to burn out.

I am in great debt to those who have made the previous excellent postings, but have my own additional comments and suggestions after having done the thing myself.

When removing the two "trim pieces" and the black trim piece surrounding the instrument cluster, please be advised that the metal clips may break, pop out (and become lost), or become bent and unusable. So, it may be a good idea to purchase 3-5 of these in advance (appx. $.50 apiece), before you begin this project. I lost and/or distended three clips in the process, one from each trim piece. You don't want to put it back together without the right clips in place, otherwise rattles will likely occur.

When removing the black trim piece surrounding the instrument cluster, you should disconnect the electrical connector on the left hand side before attempting to pull the piece out. There is a small tab on the top of the white electical connector. By pushing down on the tab and pulling out (rearwardly)at the same time, the plug should be removable from the socket.

I did not pull the three electrical connector plugs out from the rear side of the instrument cluster. An earlier post stated that by rotating the cluster into the right position, the dreaded "D" bulb can be removed and replaced. This is true, but don't try it with the "P" (for park) bulb. You can't get to it. If you want to replace all of the bulbs, you will have to pull the three connector plugs out. They are not a piece of cake to pull out, unless you have very skilled hands and eyes that can peer over the back side when pulling.

Lastly, the plastic of the base of the bulbs I purchase was rather "soft". As a consequence, when screwing in the replacement bulb(s), be careful not to strip the groove into which the screwdriver blade is inserted. Get a screwdriver that has a blade very close to the dimension of the groove/slit in the base of the bulb. Make sure the bulb in securely seated. Otherwise, you'll be doing it all again. Not fun.

Good luck,

Owner of 1999 RX-300 (REXY)
Old 03-31-10, 09:02 AM
plumbstar
Driver School Candidate

Default This sheet will help

Hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails Instrument Cluster Drive Gear Indicator Light Out-2001-rx300-2.jpg  
Old 04-30-10, 03:59 AM
extascer
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ddlexus
anyone help on the bulb information?
83119-24670
Old 04-30-10, 07:33 PM
karasdad
Rookie

I changed mine in 2000 RX300 in about 20 min using the pics in this thread. Thanks to all of you who posted instructions and clarifications. Bought the bulb at dealer for about $8.
Old 05-02-10, 11:10 AM
kching989
Driver School Candidate

Can anyone please tell me what voltage are those light bulbs. Thankx
Old 05-02-10, 12:50 PM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Originally Posted by kching989
Can anyone please tell me what voltage are those light bulbs. Thankx
These are miniature bulbs [12v is my guess] ... the wattage is more important. I would only replace it with the OEM. This assures proper size, (even) illumination as well as amount of heat it produces. I am on 3rd bulb with 150k miles plus.

Instrument cluster is not a good place to test out alternatives.

Salim
Old 05-03-10, 08:39 AM
kching989
Driver School Candidate

Hi. do anyone know what voltage are those light bulb run on?
Thanks in advance.
Old 05-04-10, 07:48 PM
orion603
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks to everyone here. I just replaced mine with $11 out of pocket in about 20 minutes.
one thing I would recommend is to use magnetic tip screw drivers, or you may spend another 10 minutes to find a screw gone missing inside the console.
Old 08-18-10, 11:03 AM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

2000 rx300 50k mi *pop*

currently have to wait for stupid bulb to be shipped from east coast

Quick Reply: Instrument Cluster Drive Gear Indicator Light Out