RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

2001 lexus rx300 idle low in drive or reverse, torque converter issues??

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-15, 06:27 PM
dovesack11
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 lexus rx300 idle low in drive or reverse, torque converter issues??

2001 lexus rx300 193000 miles on it.

When driving and coming to a stop, idle comes up, then drops super low, and car shakes as if torque converter is locking up. Stalls every so often.
Dealer says torque converter is bad, reco's new one and new trans........
Is there any electronics that control this?? Put car in neutral at stop light, idle is perfect, you put in drive and go thru all gears with no slippage at all.

Anybody have any ideas?? I don't want to spend 5k on trans when car is only worth 5k......
Old 02-24-15, 08:20 PM
appsdba
Rookie

Originally Posted by dovesack11
2001 lexus rx300 193000 miles on it.

When driving and coming to a stop, idle comes up, then drops super low, and car shakes as if torque converter is locking up. Stalls every so often.
Dealer says torque converter is bad, reco's new one and new trans........
Is there any electronics that control this?? Put car in neutral at stop light, idle is perfect, you put in drive and go thru all gears with no slippage at all.

Anybody have any ideas?? I don't want to spend 5k on trans when car is only worth 5k......
Hello DoveSack11. I had somewhat of a similar issue as you have. I'm not a professional mechanic but if you're shifting through gears with no problems, I don't think it is your torque converter.....but I can be wrong. In my case, I had rough idling at a stop light & misfires so I did the following (not in this order):

1.) Change out my air filter
2.) Clean my MAF sensor with a MAF sensor cleaner (I was strongly advised NOT to use TB or brake cleaner as that could mess up the diodes)
3.) Clean out my Idle Air Control Valve (IACV)
4.) Changed out my spark plugs (My Lexus dealer recommended Denso Iridiums but I used NGK Laser Iridiums and he said I should be fine)
5.) Changed out my bank 2 (Front side of engine) VVTi solenoid (aka Oil Control Valve [OCV]) and cleaned my OCV filters (banks 1 & 2) with TB cleaner and a small steel wire brush (I had misfires in the front cylinders, which is why I only changed out the front solenoid but you can change out both if you like and it's very easy. Check out BearsLexus DIY link here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ement-diy.html)
6.) Poured Redline Fuel System Treatment down my gas tank and filled it up with 91 octane. I bought a second bottle of Redline on my next fill up just to make sure my fuel system was clean

After all that, my RX300 (2000 AWD with 175k miles) idles ALMOST (not quite ) as nice as my wife's car (she has the LX470 and I don't think I can get any closer than I am now .....If you or anyone knows a way where I can get it to idle as quiet as the LX, I'm completely open to suggestions). Anyway, that was my situation and I spent a LOT less than $5K. I hope this helps & good luck

Last edited by appsdba; 02-24-15 at 08:25 PM.
Old 02-25-15, 08:03 AM
dovesack11
Driver School Candidate

Default Will try this too!!

THANK YOU FOR THE REPLY!!!
DID THAT
2.) Clean my MAF sensor with a MAF sensor cleaner (I was strongly advised NOT to use TB or brake cleaner as that could mess up the diodes)
DID THAT
4.) Changed out my spark plugs (My Lexus dealer recommended Denso Iridiums but I used NGK Laser Iridiums and he said I should be fine)
DID THAT
5.) Changed out my bank 2 (Front side of engine) VVTi solenoid (aka Oil Control Valve [OCV]) and cleaned my OCV filters (banks 1 & 2) with TB cleaner and a small steel wire brush (I had misfires in the front cylinders, which is why I only changed out the front solenoid but you can change out both if you like and it's very easy. Check out BearsLexus DIY link here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-f...ement-diy.html)
6.) Poured Redline Fuel System Treatment down my gas tank and filled it up with 91 octane. I bought a second bottle of Redline on my next fill up just to make sure my fuel system was clean
ANYONE ELSE HAVE ANY IDEAS???
Old 03-04-15, 07:24 PM
appsdba
Rookie

Smile

Originally Posted by dovesack11
THANK YOU FOR THE REPLY!!!
DID THAT
DID THAT
DID THAT
5.) Changed out my bank 2 (Front side of engine) VVTi solenoid (aka Oil Control Valve [OCV]) and cleaned my OCV filters (banks 1 & 2) with TB cleaner and a small steel wire brush (I had misfires in the front cylinders, which is why I only changed out the front solenoid but you can change out both if you like and it's very easy. Check out BearsLexus DIY link here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-f...ement-diy.html)
ANYONE ELSE HAVE ANY IDEAS???
Hello Dovesack11,

I'm just checking in to see how you're doing and if you were able to do some of the other stuff.

Let me know
Old 03-05-15, 07:56 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

If the dealership diagnosed the problem to torque converter, then we have to accept it or go to an indy transmission shop (where you most likely will have the repairs done), come up with second opinion. I would suggest not to share the diagnosis result from the dealer as you should not plant an idea in their head.

That said a torque converter does not mean transmission is bad. Although an overhaul should be considered. Once you separate the engine, make sure that you replace the rear main seal.

Salim