RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Checking Transmission Fluid Level

Old 03-14-03, 05:39 PM
AgSport
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Checking Transmission Fluid Level

Does any one know for sure what is the correct way to check the trans. fluid level? I couldn't find anything in the Owner's Manual. The oil definitely needs to be hot (i.e. engine run for more than 20 minutes, preferably on the road). Do you check the fluid with the engine running or engine off?

I just changed the oil with Type T-IV (costs $40. for 4 liters from Toyota dealer) and added the correct amount per the manual. With the engine OFF the dipstick reads like the level is correct but with the engine ON/RUNNING it drops down to the lower dipstick marks and it looks like it's low. So which one is it: Engine running or off? You definitely DON'T want to overfill the transmillion fluid!

Side note: if you plan to change your own trans. oil be sure to drain the oil from the pan and from the transaxle. There are two allen head plugs: the first is on the pan and it's very obvious; the second one is just behind it on the transaxle casing. There's about another cup of trans. oil from that drain hole. I was told about this from a Lexus Master Service Tech.

Thx...
Old 03-15-03, 03:28 AM
ederny
Pole Position

I've always checked the transmission warm, idle and in neutral.

Last edited by ederny; 03-15-03 at 03:34 AM.
Old 03-15-03, 12:34 PM
AgSport
Driver School Candidate

I'll answer my own question...

The best reading of the fluid level is when the engine has been thoroughly warmed up, and after running the shifter thru all the gears 3-4 times, and keeping the engine ON. It turns out that after draining the trans. oil from the 2 drain holes it take the enitre 4 liter can of Type T-IV fluid. The RX drives so much smoother now and the shifts are very subtle. I'm convinced the trans. oil needs to be changed every 20K miles; I've now set my NAV to remind me to do that service at 40K. I highly recommend it if you tend to drive fast and push it a bit when rolling from a dead stop. However, I didn't consider my driving to be in the "extreme/severe conditions" category.

The only thing I didn't like about doing the service was how slow the refilling of the fluid was. You can't just pour the fluid down like when refilling motor oil. The fluid goes moves very slow down the trans. dipstick tube. I poured the fluid from the 4 liter can into a plastic (beer) cup first and then poured it slowly into a funnel to make it work. My first "pour" was too fast and it overflowed and dripped over the sides. But, it cleaned up easily after spraying Simple Green, and then clean rinse water, over the area after I finished the refilling process.