RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Excessive oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-14, 11:01 AM
cbrf23
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Excessive oil consumption

I have an '01 rx300 with approximately 148k on it that is consuming what I consider to be an excessive amount of oil.

I'm having to add about 2-3 quarts every 700-1,000 miles. This is concerning to me. I just bought this thing and I've had to fill it up 3 times now.

When I look in the fill cap I can see the valve train pretty clearly and it doesn't look terrible. I just did a head gasket on my land rover ('03 Disco 2 with approx. 120k) and I would say the RX300 doesn't look much worse than that. Maybe a little darker in color, but not too bad.

I've read a bit on this site about sludge/ pcv/ etc. I'm looking for advice on where would be the best place to start troubleshooting. This is my third car, and I really don't want to spend a lot of money on it - I can do my own work, I'm just looking for some advice so I don't want to waste time/money doing unnecessary work.

Oh yeah, I did add a quart of ATF to the oil when I first got it. I do this to most of the high mileage vehicles I buy - but with how much oil I've had to add, I doubt it even had time to clean anything before being burned off or getting so diluted by the additional oil that it doesn't mean anything.
Old 12-31-14, 11:21 AM
snorander
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same issue as you. 2000 RX300. From what I have found the solution is to replace the rear valve cover, about $230.xx worth of parts and probably $300 for labor at least. I probably might be able to do it myself, but after watching a video there is just so much that has to come off. SO for now I just live with it. It has become part of my routine. Every Sunday morning I get up, check the oil in it. I am pretty much going through a quart a week
Old 12-31-14, 11:52 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Please do proper diagnosis before following a chain of posts. There is evidence and reason based diagnosis and the net is ripe with anecdotal solutions. So tread carefully.

I would highly encourage going to a competent mechanic.

Salim
Old 12-31-14, 12:07 PM
cbrf23
Driver School Candidate

salimshah, I'm trying to get some advice on the best place to start with troubleshooting, taking it to someone else is not going to happen. I've got no problem working on my own stuff, I'm just not very familiar with this motor and was looking for some advice where to start - i.e. what are common problem areas with these motors that would cause excessive oil consumption as I've described.

FWIW, I'm a very competent mechanic. I've been working on my own vehicles for years - as stated in my original post, I'm just finishing up a head gasket job on my Land Rover. I'm comfortable tearing into pretty much anything on any of my vehicles, which right now includes an '08 M3, an '03 Discovery 2, and this '01 RX300. I have access to shopkey, which means I have access to pretty much every factory service manual available, so I can do the same job that any tech would do and I'll more than likely do a better, more thorough job than any tech ever would. However, the service manual doesn't usually offer much guidance as to what are common problem areas on these things - it just tells you how to fix a problem once you've found it.

This is my third vehicle and I really don't need it, I bought it as a hold-over winter vehicle while I was looking for a Land Rover. I never intended to keep it long term, but I was unaware of this consumption when I bought it and I'm not the type of person to pass this on to the next guy without fixing it. That said, I'm also not about to dump a ton of money into this thing - and I'm not about to take it to a shop and pay them to do the work I can do myself.

If you don't have anything helpful to add on troubleshooting these motors, then just leave it be. If you do have some advice, I would certainly appreciate hearing it.

Thanks!
Old 12-31-14, 12:37 PM
snorander
Driver School Candidate

I started with replacing the PCV valve, which made no difference, checked to make sure Hoses were not clogged, they are not. For me this is just a cheap car I bought from my parents to hold me over till I get a new one. So I def. don't want to spend a lot of money on it. Like CBRF23 I have access to a shop, all the tools, etc. I have replaced engines, transmissions, and done all sorts of repairs on my cars in the past. I know how "do proper diagnosis" I didn't think that I would have to mention that every time I post here. "I would highly encourage" you to try and be less of a Douche when you post. I appreciate what you are saying, but there are much better ways of saying it. For example, you could have simply said "if you are unsure of how to proceed, maybe you should bring it to a trusted shop to discuss it with them" instead of implying that I am incompetent.
Old 12-31-14, 03:22 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by snorander
I started with replacing the PCV valve, which made no difference, checked to make sure Hoses were not clogged, they are not. For me this is just a cheap car I bought from my parents to hold me over till I get a new one. So I def. don't want to spend a lot of money on it. Like CBRF23 I have access to a shop, all the tools, etc. I have replaced engines, transmissions, and done all sorts of repairs on my cars in the past. I know how "do proper diagnosis" I didn't think that I would have to mention that every time I post here. "I would highly encourage" you to try and be less of a Douche when you post. I appreciate what you are saying, but there are much better ways of saying it. For example, you could have simply said "if you are unsure of how to proceed, maybe you should bring it to a trusted shop to discuss it with them" instead of implying that I am incompetent.
If my comments have rubbed you the wrong way, let me publicly apologize. I have/had no idea of your technical abilities and surely mine are very limited. Sitting behind the computer on the other side of the internet, one can not convey the intention properly. I have re-read my post and pondered on it before responding and they are indeed 'dry' ... definitely not condescending/insulting but surely I could have used better words.

That out of the way (I hope) we can discuss the technical reasons of high oil consumption/loss.

Valve cover solution is anecdotal (imho). People talk about oil entering the intake through the valve cover.

Please do your search and choose the best action.

If you want to discuss further, I suggest we use the private mail (PM) and keep the open form for informational use.

Salim
The following users liked this post:
Shegx (12-07-22)
Old 12-31-14, 03:25 PM
cbrf23
Driver School Candidate

Default not PCV

Salim, i was not offended by your comment at all. My comment was simply to clarify my background and intentions. I always have my big boy pants on when looking for help online
I'll send you a PM.

To add to the discussion, I pulled the PCV valve, it was the straight metal type and seemed to be fully operational - so I don't believe that had anything to do with the oil consumption. I replaced it anyways since I bought it ahead of time being it was only a few dollars.

Anyone have any suggestions what to check next?

Last edited by cbrf23; 12-31-14 at 03:28 PM.
Old 12-31-14, 04:06 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by cbrf23
To add to the discussion, I pulled the PCV valve, it was the straight metal type and seemed to be fully operational - so I don't believe that had anything to do with the oil consumption. I replaced it anyways since I bought it ahead of time being it was only a few dollars.

Anyone have any suggestions what to check next?
If you have the metal type straight PCV then you already have the newer valve cover. So the valve cover change option does not apply.

My suggestion would be to perform compression and leak down test.

Salim
Old 12-31-14, 10:45 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Yup compression and leak down, I hope you don't have the dreaded sludge problem. pulling the front valve cover will answer that question quite fast. Other than that rings and valve stem seals. This engine has a variable valve train which can fail, usually from sludge, my neighbors engine had sludge and it ruined the VVTI gear. His engine oil pump was shot, and the oil pan was full of globs which blocked the intake on the oil pump.

Last edited by thomas1; 12-31-14 at 10:49 PM.
Old 01-05-15, 02:34 PM
cbrf23
Driver School Candidate

I pulled the front valve cover and everything looks very clean. No trace of sludge anywhere.
I did notice a small amount of oil in the far left spark plug tube - so might have a leaky grommet or o-ring there - whatever type of seal they use on these motors.

I will have to wait til the shop is clear and I have the time to do a compression / leak down test on this motor, as getting to the rear head looks to be time consuming and it's cold enough I don't want to be out in the driveway that long.

Thanks all!

Small amount of oil in this spark plug tube

Old 01-05-15, 03:01 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

That looks very clean, when I saw my neighbors it was real obvious.
Old 01-06-15, 08:25 PM
rickl289
Driver School Candidate

I'm loosing oil at the main seal and the cam covers were not very tight and leaked. I have about 153k on my 2000.

I hope your problem is gaskets and o-rings and not rings or valve guides.

rick

Last edited by rickl289; 01-12-15 at 08:15 AM.
Old 01-27-15, 02:45 PM
tllee
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cbrf23
I pulled the front valve cover and everything looks very clean. No trace of sludge anywhere.
I did notice a small amount of oil in the far left spark plug tube - so might have a leaky grommet or o-ring there - whatever type of seal they use on these motors.

I will have to wait til the shop is clear and I have the time to do a compression / leak down test on this motor, as getting to the rear head looks to be time consuming and it's cold enough I don't want to be out in the driveway that long.

Thanks all!

Small amount of oil in this spark plug tube

Just change your rear valve cover, it will solve your problem(95%,if you don't see any obvious sign of leaking). The metal PCV is not the indicator for the version of the valve cover. Mine(02 RX300) has metal PCV but it's old version of the valve cover, I done a long research before I change the valve cover, here are my results:

1. How to ID your valve cover's version?

The "crest" near your PCV screwing port, if the crest extend to the far edge of your valve cover,it's newer version. The old version has the crest close to your PCV port( I wish I have picture). TOYOTA have a total different casting for new valve cover, not just change the baffle plate inside. So I conclude that oil problem is very serious, otherwise TOYOTA won't spend a lot of money and time to change everything.

2. How to find out the oil is sucked out from PCV valve to your intake?( a lot of guys in this forum have doubt)

Just connect a oil collect canto your PCV valve(you can buy one from eBay for $15), I did that and I drove about 15 miles on highway(not low speed), 500 ml of blow-by(not pure oil) was in the can(almost full!!) I'll say that 100 ml or so oil could be in there. Horrified by that finding, I changed my cover right away.

$200 and 7 hours later, I'm a happy RX driver again !! Hope this can help you, since you're a "competent" mechanic, I won't include too much explanation for the oil can and etc... If you have more question, please post it on forum, I'll try my best to answer you.
Old 01-29-15, 05:12 PM
Comity
Driver School Candidate

tllee...Thanks for your useful posts. Any chance you could snap a photo of the corner of your rear valve cover where the PCV valve is? I also have a 02 Rx300 with a metal PCV valve (manufactured 3/02) that uses 1-1.5 qt/1000 mi. It has maybe one drip on the floor after sitting overnight, so I doubt that is where the oil is going. It sounds from your description that I have the old cover with the newer PCV valve, but a picture would really help before I go ahead and order the cover.
Old 01-29-15, 08:02 PM
tllee
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Comity
tllee...Thanks for your useful posts. Any chance you could snap a photo of the corner of your rear valve cover where the PCV valve is? I also have a 02 Rx300 with a metal PCV valve (manufactured 3/02) that uses 1-1.5 qt/1000 mi. It has maybe one drip on the floor after sitting overnight, so I doubt that is where the oil is going. It sounds from your description that I have the old cover with the newer PCV valve, but a picture would really help before I go ahead and order the cover.
Here is the link from this forum:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...e-cover-3.html

You can see the pictures shown both new and old valve covers. Please pay attention to the crest(height) of outer edge(PCV side) , they are different. It's so obvious but some member still want to use a PCV valve to determine that.

One drop on the floor overnight won't use 1-1.5 qt /1000 miles. My wife's car has same condition but I could see the drop of 1/8 inch on my oil stick well over 2000 miles, it's a Honda. It's a rear main oil seal leaking, it's not worth to fix it(need to remove transmission).

Her is another link:
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/83...r-fixed-2.html

It show the internal differences and it's very details. Hope that will help you.

Quick Reply: Excessive oil consumption