RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Choosing Between Two Kumho Tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-14, 03:56 AM
CharBaby
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also agree with using the Firestone Destination LE/2 and Hypervish and I have discussed them at length. Price being the bottom line here, the Destination LE/2 are a better value than Michelin and are very close in performance for a lot less money.

The MICHELIN DEFENDER's DO NOT COME IN 225-70-16.

I also like to recommend the Michelin LTX M/S 2 as well if money is no object and you were living in the north as they do perform very well in the deep snow and just perform well overall. But for the money, I just wouldn't put them on a 13-15 year old SUV but, that's just me, I can't answer for the OP !

CB
Old 10-27-14, 08:38 AM
2therock
Driver School Candidate

Default Destination LE2 It Is

Thanks Guys,

We have an appointment for the Destination LE2 install tomorrow.
I like this dealer because they have 4 Load Force balancers and using them is a given, and they have a large stock of the tire so if there is an out of range spec on the balancing its exchanged on the spot. Tires are all they do.

They know me at this dealership and how I am very sensitive to felt tire imperfections.

I also notice most of the county vehicles around here run this make and model tire getting them from this dealer.

The 2001 RX is a Full Time 4wheel drive, lots of twisty back roads going to and from home every day.
Would you keep the OE recommended @30 PSI? It wore out some Kumho's pretty fast.@ 30psi.

Thanks
Old 10-28-14, 05:55 AM
CharBaby
Rookie

Well, I've been running our General AltiMAX RT43's at F:33/R:31 for now! I like the ride quality though more PSI is noticeable with a slightly harsher ride over road imperfections. I like slightly less PSI in the rear(all of our vehicles) tires unless we're on vacation with lots of stuff in the hatch/trunk or even backseat area.

Less PSI in the rear tires gives a more consistent ride & road feel, both front & rear instead of e.g., smooth up front & harsh in the rear. I like consistency!
Old 10-29-14, 08:46 AM
2therock
Driver School Candidate

Default We Did Not Like the Destination 2 Tires

Geesh Guys,

They put the Destination 2 tires on and upon walk around I noted small weight sizes and we went for a ride.

We did not like it. It was more truck like riding and the felt steering was a different world with noticeable under steer and harshness. It was a different vehicle comfort wise. I checked psi and it was 31psi.

First she drove it with me in the cab and it did not take her long to say "Somethings Wrong Dad".

I tested it from speeds 0 up to 80mph.

I took it back and told them what we thought and they said they almost suggested that we would not like these tires on that vehicle but since we asked specifically they went with the customer is always right.

The said they would give up full credit for even exchange to the Goodyear Integrity with the same satisfaction guarantee, free alignment if needed and road hazard tossed in.
The vehicle had the alignment checked recently but OK.

I challenged them with my past experience with Goodyear (Assurance) and other reports.

They volleyed with they were aware of some of it and said Goodyear listens and over time makes production changes accordingly and the integrity's have been long since improved. They also mentioned themselves and Goodyear have not been in business for years by recommending or continuing to produce or recommend junk.

I exercised patience and gave the nod. If they are going to bend over backwards like this again if we do not like the GY's so be it.

The integrity's are on and what a difference to the better for us anyways. Again small weights. I witnessed the tech perform the load force thing and they all were well inside the numbers with no need to rotate on the rims.
Financially the tires are on average $10.00 more a tire, the free full coverage road hazard and alignment to keep Goodyear in line if a wear warranty is needed.

So the bullet has been bitten. Thanks You all for your input. I'll post back as things arise.
Old 10-29-14, 09:56 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Sorry to hear you did not like the Destination LE 2, but man! The Integrity's are a horrible tire! Did they not have any other tires? I would have went with anything but the Integrity, literally ANYTHING ELSE!

Glad to see that the tire installer worked with you though, hard to find someone who will do that in this day and age!
Old 10-29-14, 08:19 PM
2therock
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hypervish
Sorry to hear you did not like the Destination LE 2, but man! The Integrity's are a horrible tire! Did they not have any other tires? I would have went with anything but the Integrity, literally ANYTHING ELSE!

Glad to see that the tire installer worked with you though, hard to find someone who will do that in this day and age!
Thanks, And I hear you.

This is a split venture via my X-Wife and I for our daughter so it was not entirely my call.

But............ We shall see eh?
Old 10-30-14, 04:26 AM
CharBaby
Rookie

Yes, I too am very sorry that you and your daughter didn't like the Destination LE/2's! My buddy just put the LE/2's in "H" speed rating on his 2011 Chevy Equinox(at my recommendation) and is very happy thus far(been about 3-4 week). He had "T" speed rated Michelin Latitudes that were OE and though wearing well w/35K miles, they weren't doing well in the snow and winter is approaching soon.

What I didn't like about the Integrity's that came as OE on our 2001 RX-300 was their cornering ability.They made the RX WOLLOW around turns. And, their winter ability on slippery surfaces. With the AWD, the RX always had good start off traction but the stopping in snow/ice sucked. The ABS/VSC would always "kick on" even in Mall parking lots or going around corners. And often, I'd pass up my driveway when coming home.

The G/Y Assurance Comfort Tread's(ACT's) on the other hand were waaaaaaaay better in this regard but, did not ride or handle any better nor were they any smoother & quieter than the G/Y Integ's. But, the ACT's were a much safer tire in the winter time and did have better highway tracking.

What I can say about the Integrity's is...they are smooth/quiet, decent riding w/good MPG. Our Integ's had poor hydroplaning resistance, sloppy normal cornering just turning down another street, poor tracking on the hiwy(lots of wander) and poor winter stopping. If I live in climates that were more dry/warm, the Integ's would be fine...I guess!

As far as G/Y being in business for a long time due to making a good/improved tire! Well, that's a matter of opinion since, I've only had one(set of 4) G/Y tires in over 40 years that I liked and that was the recent G/Y ACT's that I just replaced. And they too had their issues of balancing and radial pull.

The RT43 are doing well in ride, handling, smooth, quiet, hydroplaning resistance in our heavy rain of Autumn, highway tracking(smoother and w/crosswinds) and city MPG is about the norm. Hiwy MPG hasn't been accurately measured as I have a CEL right now due to a rotted flex pipe causing the downstream O2 to trigger the CEL.

Thus far, the RT43 are the best tire we've had on the RX and the RT43's have been the lowest cost new. Everything else remains to be seen yet as they're only about 2 months old!

Lots of reviews on the Intetg's from folks that live in better climates such as the Southern US and California, Texas where there is much less snow. Good luck with the Integrity's and I'm sure they'll serve you well in your climate!

Last edited by CharBaby; 10-30-14 at 04:41 AM. Reason: additional information
Old 10-30-14, 06:37 AM
2therock
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, We don't always get snow or ice and if so its only for a day or two.

It's one of those X-Wife "Those tires YOUR Dad picked out weren't so great. We are going to go with what the tire man says".

Heh! I stood and argued the best I could and was pushing for the MX2 but got interrupted in the middle of almost all of my sentences by the X.

My 16 YO drives very cautiously with the patience of a saint. I never drove that careful. I'll be telling her about your experiences.
Old 11-07-14, 07:33 AM
jimsRX300
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which one is cheaper? There's my answer.

I was gonna throw a set of used tires on there from some shop in the ghetto but my wife vetoed me.

My Kumho crappers were the 2nd cheapest at discount tire. The cheapest was "the spare tire brand" and the guy said "just don't drive on those"