RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

RX300 - change of radio unit

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-14, 06:27 AM
galtom
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX300 - change of radio unit

Hi,

perhaps you will be able to help me find an answer to my problem.
I got 1st gen RX300 with stereo (without sat nav) looking like this:

I would like to replace display and radio itself with this model:

Is this doable and how difficult?

Fist I would like to get model (as shown on the second picture) from UK. This way (if it can be easily replaced) I would get European radio frequencies and display showing me temperature in Celsius.
But before I go to ebay to get this new unit I want to make sure it will work.

My second problem is, that I just want to replace radio and display but I do not plan to buy and plug sat-nav. I have a great Lumia phone with proper sat-nav and I do not need extra one in car.

Do you have any knowledge on the issue.
I believe in US there were to versions (with cassette and one with sat-nav) as well. Do you know anyone who replaced one for the other?
Or perhaps you are friends with someone at Lexus dealership and your friend could check if plugs and sockets are compatible on both models?

I will appreciate any feedback you may have on this!

regards,
galtom
Old 04-23-14, 07:49 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...on-w-pics.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...e-project.html
Old 04-23-14, 08:03 AM
galtom
Driver

Awesome links - THANK YOU very much.
However I still have 3 questions:

1. Can I replace (that easily) US radio set for UK/European unit with GPS? - this looks like a possible problem...

2. Will it work if I will not plug in GPS unit? I do not plan to buy it as price of such set (on Polish ebay equivalent) jumps from $100 to over $300 (+ I would have to put wires to trunk and I got awesome GPS in my Lumia phone. All I want is radio with European frequencies (and RDS) and climate/temperature displayed in Celsius.

I suppose one of you could easily check it by unplugging your GPS unit in the trunk... If the rest will still work I am saved! :-)

3. If I will replace only radio and display - will it change readouts of temperature inside/outside - I am not sure in which electronic part this is stored...

Again - many thanks for your help!

galtom
Old 04-25-14, 12:14 AM
galtom
Driver

Any more help - please!
Old 04-25-14, 05:32 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by galtom
Awesome links - THANK YOU very much.
However I still have 3 questions:

1. Can I replace (that easily) US radio set for UK/European unit with GPS? - this looks like a possible problem...

2. Will it work if I will not plug in GPS unit? I do not plan to buy it as price of such set (on Polish ebay equivalent) jumps from $100 to over $300 (+ I would have to put wires to trunk and I got awesome GPS in my Lumia phone. All I want is radio with European frequencies (and RDS) and climate/temperature displayed in Celsius.

I suppose one of you could easily check it by unplugging your GPS unit in the trunk... If the rest will still work I am saved! :-)

3. If I will replace only radio and display - will it change readouts of temperature inside/outside - I am not sure in which electronic part this is stored...

Again - many thanks for your help!

galtom
I wish I could help, but I don't want to give you false information.

Maybe someone with navigation can chime in, regarding whether you can use the GPS unit without the receiver. I think Gazi may have tested this, I can't remember. There was talks of testing this in the past, can't remember if it was ever conducted.
Old 04-25-14, 05:55 AM
galtom
Driver

Thanks!
I hope someone who has unit with GPS will read it and will be willing to unplug his unit for few minutes to see if the rest works.
Although I can not imagine that it would not...
Old 04-25-14, 07:24 AM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes. It will work without the GPS nav ecu only for a/v out put as a display monitor if you have adapter. But the us radio of RX 300 will not work in European radio stations. tested before by disconnecting the ecu from the trunk.
Old 04-25-14, 07:39 AM
galtom
Driver

Originally Posted by gazi001
Yes. It will work without the GPS nav ecu only for a/v out put as a display monitor if you have adapter.
I am very sorry for my lack of understanding, but I am not sure what your instructions are here :-(
I do not have any kind of adapter, I have not bought the "new" unit yet.
And here is one more question.
Unit I will buy will be second hand. Should I ask fro radio + display to be disassembled with complete plug socket set or will be radio with its plug be enough as sockets on my car will be ok to fit new unit? (I am not sure I I express myself clearly here...)

Originally Posted by gazi001
But the us radio of RX 300 will not work in European radio stations. tested before by disconnecting the ecu from the trunk.
I know, I have US radio at the moment - just the old type (as in first picture). I want to buy set like on pic no 2. If you will look closely you will notice it is UK unit (power button is on right instead of left) so this should work for me... (I am in Europe).

Will I get temperature readout in Celsius? Is this part F or C for temperature somewhere in radio and display?
Old 05-21-14, 03:53 PM
wkent
Driver School Candidate

I think what he wants to do is upgrade his dash console to the new updated dash console. If you look at the two pictures you'll see that the earlier dash (built for the Non Nav) has a blue screen and is recessed while the updated dash has a more forward mounted screen. My question would be similar as I would like to know if I swapped the console out would the climate, radio controls still work as a straight plug and play or will the wiring need to be modified, if so does anyone know which wires need slicing and where?

thanks for reading
Old 05-21-14, 10:19 PM
galtom
Driver

You will all find out soon.
I just bought new (used) radio with display and friend will help me to make a swap.
I'll try to make photos + info "How to" if you think ppl. might still be interested in such an old car.

Old 05-22-14, 09:52 AM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

My pinky is not strong enough to squeeze the gear shifter release.

Salim
Old 05-22-14, 05:41 PM
wkent
Driver School Candidate

I have 2000 RX300 and im absolutely interested in this mod keep me posted, as I'm gonna order mine as soon as you give the go ahead PM me
Old 05-22-14, 06:34 PM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is my setup for ipod video out:
It is very hard and time consuming job to make custom harnesses for the non-gps RX 300. But I did you could do also.
Old 05-23-14, 02:15 AM
galtom
Driver

Hi,

It looks really great!
In my case I will be more than happy if i'll get radio with RDS support and when the display will change from current US Fahrenheit to European Celsius.

With that in mind... it would be extremely useful to a colleague of mine (who will be doing this replacement) to get schematics, information to know what wire is responsible for what in both models. Without it it will be much more difficult.

Can anyone help?
Old 05-23-14, 05:39 PM
wkent
Driver School Candidate

This is my set up,....as you can see I too have the dated dash which is recessed

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...d-install.html

Last edited by wkent; 05-23-14 at 05:43 PM.

Quick Reply: RX300 - change of radio unit