RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Help Identifying Hose from Airbox

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-14, 06:40 PM
rollin73
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Identifying Hose from Airbox

Please help!!! I own a 2002 RX300 and have I've been to 2 dealerships and neither has been able to help me identify the hose in question. I took the part with me and we spent close to an hour looking at the parts fiche and were unable to identify it. One end of the hose connects to the valve on the back side of the airbox and the other end connects to a metal tube located about 7-8 inches below that looks like a dipstick tube. I believe it is some type of vacuum line but I am unable to identify the part number and need to order a new one due to bad cracking on mine. The tube in question is molded in a shape similar to a candy cane, is about 8-9 inches long, and has a small foam sleeve on it. Can anyone provide a part number or tell me if I can find something similar at a regular auto parts store. If the dealership can't identify it how is an idiot like me supposed to? Please help.

Thanks,
Zak
Attached Thumbnails Help Identifying Hose from Airbox-part.jpg  
Old 08-08-14, 07:17 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Should be in this area: http://www.trademotion.com/parts/200...agramCallOut=4

#5 looks too long to be it?
Old 08-08-14, 09:48 PM
rollin73
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the reply. The part you mentioned is definitely not it. I had the entire parts department from two different dealerships scratching their heads trying to figure it out. I even brought the hose with me and also took them out to the car to show them exactly where it went but nobody could figure it out and as mentioned before it doesn't appear to show on the parts diagrams. I'm really quite shocked that identifying this hose has become such an ordeal. I would just buy a hose that is the same diameter but as I said before it is molded with a few bends in it and I suspect that a straight hose would kink when bending it to get it to fit properly. I am very frustrated with this whole ordeal.

Zak
Old 08-09-14, 06:18 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

I would just wrap up the ends with electrical tape and call it good again. No one will ever see it and it will work fine.
Old 08-09-14, 08:29 AM
salimshah

Received 993 Likes on 898 Posts

The picture shape does not match the photo... leading me to believe that some where the hose was replaced by another one of the same dia, but not the shape. That would explain the rip as well.

I would drive in the vehicle or point it out on a vehicle in the dealerships lot. Lexus of Austin parts has been wonderful as they often walk out to the vehicle to confirm.

Salim
Old 08-09-14, 10:08 AM
rollin73
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
The picture shape does not match the photo...
Salim
Which picture shape are you referring to? I am going to have to disagree that this is not an original hose. I suspect that this is an OEM hose because there are molded bends at both ends of the hose and they are perfectly angled in such a way that they line up exactly to where they attach. It would be nearly impossible in my opinion to find a non-OEM hose to follow the exact lines and angles as this one and to attach as perfect as this does. I've already showed the parts guys exactly where the part goes on the car itself and they still couldn't determine which part it was. Unfortunately at the last dealer I went to I did not see another 1st Gen RX on the entire lot or in the service area to compare with.

I think I have decided to use some liquid vinyl to fill in and cover the cracks and will live with it. I've trimmed one end of the hose before when this happened previously but was hoping to find a new hose since this one is starting to get brittle.

Thanks for the input to everyone.

Zak
Old 08-09-14, 11:02 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I also have a 2002 RX300. I just took a look and I do see a hose with a bend that exits the first nipple of the solenoid? on the back of the air cleaner, bends around a wire harness, and then has that jacket (over-hose) in your photo as it appears to connect to a metal hose. There doesn't appear to be any fastener on the non-air-cleaner end, just the plastic jacket holding it. I hope this photo helps.

Old 08-09-14, 02:50 PM
salimshah

Received 993 Likes on 898 Posts

Originally Posted by rollin73
Which picture shape are you referring to? I am going to have to disagree that this is not an original hose. I suspect that this is an OEM hose because there are molded bends at both ends of the hose and they are perfectly angled in such a way that they line up exactly to where they attach. It would be nearly impossible in my opinion to find a non-OEM hose to follow the exact lines and angles as this one and to attach as perfect as this does. I've already showed the parts guys exactly where the part goes on the car itself and they still couldn't determine which part it was. Unfortunately at the last dealer I went to I did not see another 1st Gen RX on the entire lot or in the service area to compare with.

I think I have decided to use some liquid vinyl to fill in and cover the cracks and will live with it. I've trimmed one end of the hose before when this happened previously but was hoping to find a new hose since this one is starting to get brittle.

Thanks for the input to everyone.

Zak

Photo is the one that you posted and the picture is the one based on description is hose #5 in the
carguys posted link. The picture shows 2 bends.

Can you post photo of the two ends that the hose connects to?
Salim
Old 08-10-14, 07:54 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

i'm pretty sure its the front valve cover breather tube by the OP's description of where it is connected.
If you want an off the shelf part that will work, take the broken original hose to your auto parts store and get heater hose of similar ID and length. Attempt to clamp with the OEM clamps or worm clamps.

IIRC it should be 1/2" ID hose.
Old 05-08-21, 04:54 PM
murphysf
Pit Crew

It is the hose that goes from the vacuum switch that is mounted to the back of the air cleaner to the metal "dipstick" type pipe that then goes back to the canister near the gas tank. I might be called a Fuel Vapor Hose.

This might be it:
https://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.c...734520030.html

Last edited by murphysf; 05-08-21 at 07:45 PM.
Old 08-02-22, 01:46 PM
fxst
1st Gear

Originally Posted by rollin73
Please help!!! I own a 2002 RX300 and have I've been to 2 dealerships and neither has been able to help me identify the hose in question. I took the part with me and we spent close to an hour looking at the parts fiche and were unable to identify it. One end of the hose connects to the valve on the back side of the airbox and the other end connects to a metal tube located about 7-8 inches below that looks like a dipstick tube. I believe it is some type of vacuum line but I am unable to identify the part number and need to order a new one due to bad cracking on mine. The tube in question is molded in a shape similar to a candy cane, is about 8-9 inches long, and has a small foam sleeve on it. Can anyone provide a part number or tell me if I can find something similar at a regular auto parts store. If the dealership can't identify it how is an idiot like me supposed to? Please help.

Thanks,
Zak
The Part number to the hose you are looking for is 77249-48030 (Fuel Emission Hose). It took the parts man at my Lexus dealership about 5-10 minutes to locate the right part once I told him the hose connected to a tube that runs back to the gas tank. Attached is a diagram for your reference. Hope this helps.

fxst
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Fuel Tank and Tube.pdf (764.3 KB, 96 views)