RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

wife lost remote master key chip

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-14, 08:14 AM
Enz
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hypervish
+1, try this out!

However, not sure if it changed for 2003, but for my 2000 the flat key is only good for door locks.
Thanks Jim and Hypervish! I will try this out this morning. I think I may be in luck, since the instructions on the wallet/card key says to put the card next to the ignition to start the car, so its not just for door and hopefully it is a master. It also has key code printed on it. Wish me luck and I will post back late morning!

Thanks all!!
Old 08-01-14, 09:06 AM
AnthonyMtz
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great! I don't see why it wouldn't work, should send the same codes to the anti theft system as the key fob you lost did, hopefully it will work, I would try it on my Rx but my sister used it to go to work today
Old 08-01-14, 10:56 AM
Enz
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jimsRX300
I can help shed some light, recently been down this road. Lexus got in a bit of trouble in the late 90's over this master key stuff. Lost a bunch of lawsuits I guess.

The FLAT KEY you have. Place the metal key part in the ignition but don't turn it.

Observe the security light blinking.

Put the chip part against the metal key, by the ignition.

If the blinking light GOES OUT IMMEDIATELY, chip is programmed as a master. New keys / FOB can be made from it. If the light turns solid for a second or 2, it's not a master.

Good luck. My 2003 was programmed as a master. I have made new keys from it.
Good news! My wife's 2002 Coach Ed. wallet/card key is a MASTER key! Jim's post above is right on! To further identify a master key, on one side it will have the key code engraved and on the other side it will have instructions on "How to start engine"

In contrast, when using a gray/valet key, the security light goes from blinking to solid light for a second or two, then off.

I was also curious to see what happens if you had a key but no chip or defective/dead battery, when you just insert the flat key and turn the ignition on everything looks normal (dash lights go on) and it even lets you crank the engine but it does not run. Nice to know in case someone runs into a defective chip/dead battery situation.

Salim thanks for your reply too, I missed that last night, and as our moderator may I suggest we post this info where appropriate, or an actual warning/notice to people who only have one master key to get a second one made because as far as I know its very very expensive to do this without a master key.

I'm assuming anything older than 00 only have flat keys so they do not actually have a chipped wallet/card keys that the 02 and 03 have. We don't have info on 01's.

Thanks all!
Enz
Old 08-01-14, 02:06 PM
AnthonyMtz
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Enz
Good news! My wife's 2002 Coach Ed. wallet/card key is a MASTER key! Jim's post above is right on! To further identify a master key, on one side it will have the key code engraved and on the other side it will have instructions on "How to start engine"

In contrast, when using a gray/valet key, the security light goes from blinking to solid light for a second or two, then off.

I was also curious to see what happens if you had a key but no chip or defective/dead battery, when you just insert the flat key and turn the ignition on everything looks normal (dash lights go on) and it even lets you crank the engine but it does not run. Nice to know in case someone runs into a defective chip/dead battery situation.

Salim thanks for your reply too, I missed that last night, and as our moderator may I suggest we post this info where appropriate, or an actual warning/notice to people who only have one master key to get a second one made because as far as I know its very very expensive to do this without a master key.

I'm assuming anything older than 00 only have flat keys so they do not actually have a chipped wallet/card keys that the 02 and 03 have. We don't have info on 01's.

Thanks all!
Enz
Glad we could all help a little try to make a spare set lol!
Old 08-01-14, 03:30 PM
salimshah

Received 993 Likes on 898 Posts

Enz:

The key that broke, you can recover the slug and use it with any flat key and it will be recognized as what ever key it was before.

There is Key-blade (un-cut). Make sure you have it cut for NOT the valet key.
Slug in the key which can be unregistered. You would need a master key to register this slug
electronics in the key. You will need to program it to operate remote functions.

There are instructions to do all of the above (except you need duplicating facility for cutting the key).

Salim
Old 08-01-14, 10:51 PM
Enz
Pit Crew

Default The saga continues... now alarm keeps going off

Originally Posted by salimshah
Enz:

The key that broke, you can recover the slug and use it with any flat key and it will be recognized as what ever key it was before.

There is Key-blade (un-cut). Make sure you have it cut for NOT the valet key.
Slug in the key which can be unregistered. You would need a master key to register this slug
electronics in the key. You will need to program it to operate remote functions.

There are instructions to do all of the above (except you need duplicating facility for cutting the key).

Salim
Salim the slug/electronics is lost.

Now my problem is that the alarm keeps going off! I saw this post by hypervish below but I don't have the chip/slug/electronics on my remote master key anymore. I tried it but I left my door open (not sure if that matters) and of course without the chip on my master key I didn't think the procedure below would work.

I think I messed things up when I tried starting the car earlier with the remote key sans chips.

Any suggestions? Maybe using the valet key?
Thx!!

Per Hypervish
The procedure I use is:
Insert master key (non-remote master) into driver's side door.
Remove key.
Insert master remote key into driver's side door.
Remove key.
Insert master key (non-remote master) into ignition.
Remove key.
Insert master remote key into ignition.
Remove key.
Old 08-02-14, 04:48 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Enz
Salim the slug/electronics is lost.

Now my problem is that the alarm keeps going off! I saw this post by hypervish below but I don't have the chip/slug/electronics on my remote master key anymore. I tried it but I left my door open (not sure if that matters) and of course without the chip on my master key I didn't think the procedure below would work.

I think I messed things up when I tried starting the car earlier with the remote key sans chips.

Any suggestions? Maybe using the valet key?
Thx!!

Per Hypervish
The procedure I use is:
Insert master key (non-remote master) into driver's side door.
Remove key.
Insert master remote key into driver's side door.
Remove key.
Insert master key (non-remote master) into ignition.
Remove key.
Insert master remote key into ignition.
Remove key.
Try with the door closed.

I have to use this procedure each time I disconnect my battery, or else my alarm will randomly go off.
Old 08-02-14, 08:35 AM
Enz
Pit Crew

I have to use this procedure each time I disconnect my battery, or else my alarm will randomly go off.
Yeah didn't want to set off the alarm too many times and wake up my neighbors last night. Will try it again this morning. To be clear I did insert the keys on the door with the door closed, it was open when I inserted the keys into the ignition. I will try it with the door closed when inserting the keys in the ignition.

So this should work even without the chip on my remote master?

Thx!
Old 08-02-14, 09:32 AM
Enz
Pit Crew

Still no go Hypervish. I even tried it with the valet key and wallet key aside from the just the remote +wallet, then all three but I really don't know the sequence. I even tried locking and unlocking the doors first. The alarm goes off before I can insert the keys into the ignition. Alarm also goes off before I can even close the door getting out of the car.

Thx!
Old 08-02-14, 12:08 PM
Enz
Pit Crew

Default found the chip! alarm reset done!

Well, I decided to wash my wife's car today and we found the chip underneath the passenger seat. I should have known not to believe my wife when she said she looked for it. :-)

Alarm is reset!

Do you guys trust the aftermarket shells on Amazon and Fleabay?

Thx!