RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

is the original '01 Bridgestone spare tire still usable? (never used)

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-14, 09:22 AM
Z07
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by carguy07
Do you know of anyone that has had a clean unused spare that was stored in the trunk "fail"?
No. I don't know of a spare in good condition failing. I do, however, know of a spare that was put on the front of a Bonneville (FWD) and driven for over a week under-inflated blowing out the sidewall. The spare was not full-sized and was supposed to be inflated to something like 65PSI but was "checked at 35 just like the other tires". Sad thing is that the car was equipped with an onboard compressor and hose that could reach all four corners.

Last edited by Z07; 07-27-14 at 09:53 AM.
Old 07-27-14, 11:23 AM
BlueCrabby
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Z07
No. I don't know of a spare in good condition failing. I do, however, know of a spare that was put on the front of a Bonneville (FWD) and driven for over a week under-inflated blowing out the sidewall. The spare was not full-sized and was supposed to be inflated to something like 65PSI but was "checked at 35 just like the other tires". Sad thing is that the car was equipped with an onboard compressor and hose that could reach all four corners.
onboard compressor? I always loved those quirky Pontiacs! Too bad GM killed Pontiac a few years ago. The first car that I ever test drove in my life was a Grand Am coupe. The salesman thought I was too young to buy a new car, but took the time to let me test drive the car anyway.(back when I was only a high school sophomore) To this date, he remains the only honest salesman that I know. He pulled me aside and told me not to buy American cars(at least GM products) because they sucked. This was in the mid 1980s, so completely true.

I assume my 2001 never-used spare tire can look and feel pristine... but it has not been installed and the stress of the RX300's weight may change that. I don't want to find out and get stranded somewhere in upstate New York. (had that happen to me once on a rental car and they didn't even have cell phone signal from any carrier up there)

Last edited by BlueCrabby; 07-27-14 at 11:27 AM.
Old 07-28-14, 10:32 AM
JacketJet
Driver School Candidate

Spare Tire/Wheel in our '03 RX has never been installed. The tire looks brand new and shows no signs of age or cracking. However, at 10+ years old it probably should be replaced in case it is ever needed.
Old 07-28-14, 10:57 AM
JacketJet
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by titangummy
I never understood how the 5-tire rotation was supposed to work. If I get a new set of tires, do I have to buy all 5? If only 4 new tires, how was I supposed to incorporate the older spare tire into the 5-tire rotation cycle? (especially if the 4 new tires were a totally different brand of tire)

Speaking of spare tires... It wasn't that long ago that the tire and car manufacturers were promoting run-flat tires on some cars/SUVs/minivans. My friend had one of the older Honda minivan that had run-flat tires. Not having a spare tire at all seemed like a cool idea. Until he and I went on a roadtrip from Florida to Chicago. He drove over a pothole at 50mph. The tire had sidewall damage and couldn't be repaired.(duh!) We were stranded about 20 miles north of Atlanta for 2 and half days because that was how long it took the nearest Honda dealer to find a replacement tire. Oh... the one tire was like $450 installed. Yes, ONE run-flat tire! Needless to say, my friend got rid of that minivan a few months later.
I use the 5-tire rotation on my LS 400. It extends the time until I need new tires and utilizes the fifth tire instead of letting a perfectly good tire go to waste. I simply buy 5 new tires at the same time. The rotation pattern is in the owners manual. I don't do the 5-tire rotation on my RX 300 because it was bought used and the tires it came with haven't been replaced.

Agree with everything regarding your friend, as we own a Honda minivan that came with run-flats. Last year we de-PAXed our van with regular wheels & tires. (Yes, we had to buy new wheels because only the Michelin run-flats will fit the OEM wheel.) Based on our experience, this is probably the last Honda we will ever own. Cannot believe they forced these tires on their customers - the Honda of yesterday would have never done such a thing.
Old 07-29-14, 05:12 AM
99rx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

About 4 years ago, I had a sidewall blowout on my RX in the middle of Florida on my way to Daytona Beach. SO the spare tire was roughly 11-12 years old at this time, and I had to put it on to get somewhere. I took it to the nearest tire shop and topped the pressure off, and went on my way. I ended up putting 275 miles on that tire (to get me to my destination, and back home in St. Pete) at speeds in excess of 80mph. When I took it off to have all the tires replaced, it showed no signs of weakness, so back in the cargo area it went. I keep 303 Aerospace protectant on it and top the pressure off regularly.
Old 07-29-14, 07:31 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

FWIW, i used our then unused spare on our 02 RX and threw it into the 5 tire rotation in late 2011. (roughly 9 years) Its been holding up fine in the rotation and not seeing any signs of accelerated wear compared to the other tires.