RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Windshield replacement: dodging the bullet...

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-03, 07:42 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Post Windshield replacement: dodging the bullet...

Last fall I got a small rock chip in my windshield directly behind the rear view mirror mount. Because of its location, I missed the tiny chip while polishing the windows. I discovered the damage only after a crack had begun to migrate down into the viewable area, and by then it was too late to repair.

My Lexus dealer recommended a chip repair service, and because we needed a small chip on the mommy van's windshield repaired, I had these folks come over to fix it and commiserate with me about the replacement of the RX's windshield. As it happened, after fixing the van's window, the husband-wife team recommended a friend who could do the job on my RX for about $300 right in my driveway (Lexus dealers wanted $700 - $900 or more, plus a day in their shop).

The fellow came out today and did a beautiful job - for $309.00. The replacement part differs from the "official" OEM part in that it does not have the "Toyota" logo etched in the glass. Same color, same thickness, same "anti-glare dots", same mirror mounting. I was told that PPG and LOF make most of this glass anyway, and that there is no need to pay the markup required by the dealer when a skilled installer can do as good or better job with a direct replacement.

The chip repair people reminded me to check over my windshield carefully for pits every time I clean and polish the glass. Catching and repairing a small pit (~$35 - $45) before it spreads into a crack due to flexing of the windshield at highway speeds can save a needless expense!
Old 02-22-03, 05:57 AM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a double hit from a rock which started two adjacent small 1/4" cracks from 2 different pits. Had them repaired at a nearby SAFELITE store for ~$75. They charge extra for a second pit even if close to the other pit! It seemed to work, the cracks nearly disappeared but can be seen in just the right lighting conditions but the pits are still very visible though small. They said they will not/cannot repair anything directly in the driver's field of view

They told me they could fix anything that could be covered by a dollar bill so long as the pit/crack did not go through to the inside of the windshield and it should be done asap from time of impact.

Interestingly, the repair shop told me not to use an off market windshield but to get Lexus to repair it, even though the repair shop could have done it for me had the cracks been larger.
Old 02-22-03, 01:15 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Post Almost perfect

The folks that repaired the w/s on the van said they could do a reasonable repair on the RX. The crack had grown to about 12", but had only two small spots that might not take the resin properly, and would probably remain visible. They reminded me that since I would be turning it in at the expiration of the lease in a few weeks, because it would be obvious, I would likely have to pay for replacement anyway, thus paying twice for the repair. I appreciate their honesty...and their referral to a good installer!

It was interesting that they explained that while a hit in the center third of the windshield - in an unsupported area - is less likely to create a pit (the w/s can flex to absorb some of the energy), it is more likely to crack as the glass flexes over time under aerodynamic pressure. This explains the vertical crack suddenly turning and running horizontally as it migrates from the edge to the center of the windshield.
Old 02-23-03, 06:59 AM
CoachMan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess that we are lucky in Florida. Insurer's will replace windshields that are cracked or damaged with no applicable deductible.

I've had a couple of windshields replaced this way with not a penny out of pocket.