RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Hey all--Wont stay running

Old 06-24-14, 09:06 AM
DeadRX
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hey all--Wont stay running

FIRST TIME I REMEMBERED MY PASSWORD WHATS UP!

Anyway, 2000 RX300 with 161k miles.

Searched last night and read a bunch of threads mentioning the symptoms I'm experiencing, leaning towards either ICAV, injectors, battery, alternator or all of the above.

Here's what I just experienced.

Turned key, heard regular noises of the starter I assume, saw all lights like accessory, but then when I let go, the car died.

Did that again, but this time put my foot at 2k RPM until the temp went from below C to middle of thermometer. So, this time, when I let go of key and simultaneously held gas petal, the car did not die, instead it clearly stayed at that level rev, and the dash appeared as if the car was fully started--meaning no accessory/warning lights. My door was open and my seatbelt was not on, so those two lights were notifying me of my irresponsibility; however, in this scenario I must point out that the CEL was not on, only the two previous lights I mentioned were. Then, jeez 6 minutes after, I took my foot off kind of slowly for 2k to 1500, then took it off gas...and wah wah wah she died.

I am in Northern NJ, and I estimate ever since 130k miles my engine always starts below C no matter the weather--but up until today, my car's been in good shape. Needed a solenoid few months ago...haven't changed spark plugs (i know), just had an oil change and got new air filter for engine as well...car's been great.

The CEL is not on and that is why I lean towards the ICAV...but my car also does not move, so I am hoping it is just a little necessary cleaning so I can at least start it and head over somewhere. Another point, however useful to you, is that my battery was tested two weeks ago and is about 3/4 of the way until it will just be dead, but that seems important I guess, too, in this scenario.

Any help will be much appreciated.
Old 06-24-14, 12:52 PM
salimshah

Received 991 Likes on 896 Posts

Short answer to a long post
If you can keep the idle by putting slight pressure by your foot on the gas pedal, it is the IACV

Salim
Old 06-24-14, 01:29 PM
Raoul
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Give the IACV a few sharp raps with a good size screwdriver handle.
If the car then starts and holds idle the IAC is fouled.

That's how I drove my truck for two weeks when IACs where on back order.
Old 07-03-14, 08:30 AM
DeadRX
Rookie

Originally Posted by salimshah
Short answer to a long post
If you can keep the idle by putting slight pressure by your foot on the gas pedal, it is the IACV

Salim
Thank you. Luckily for me, this happened the day before a trip, and I will only be returning tomorrow and starting the car. I'm hoping it will magically start, but if not I will try the DIY clean and then if not, I know I need to replace it.
Old 07-08-14, 06:51 AM
DeadRX
Rookie

Guys--I got home yesterday after having not started the car for two weeks, she started right up...

any suggestions?
Old 07-08-14, 10:26 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by DeadRX
Guys--I got home yesterday after having not started the car for two weeks, she started right up...

any suggestions?
Surely you dont want any suggestions that she should not start!

If your CEL is off, enjoy till the problem resurfaces and test out if it is an idle issue.

Salim
Old 07-09-14, 06:18 AM
DeadRX
Rookie

Surely you dont want any suggestions that she should not start!

If your CEL is off, enjoy till the problem resurfaces and test out if it is an idle issue.

Salim
Salim--as per the usual story from most 26 year olds nowadays, this is not in my budget.

It started quite nice the past few starts yesterday, albeit some rough idles at red lights.

I don't quite have the $300 it would likely cost to install a new IACV, and considering I have no CEL, would you recommend even taking it to a shop to see if they can maybe clean the IACV for me for way less than a new one?

By testing, what do you mean?

Or, just keep using her?
Old 07-09-14, 07:33 AM
salimshah

Salim--as per the usual story from most 26 year olds nowadays, this is not in my budget.

It started quite nice the past few starts yesterday, albeit some rough idles at red lights.

I don't quite have the $300 it would likely cost to install a new IACV, and considering I have no CEL, would you recommend even taking it to a shop to see if they can maybe clean the IACV for me for way less than a new one?

By testing, what do you mean?

Or, just keep using her?
I would not venture in the area of selling/keeping.

Testing .... I suggested that if you can keep the engine idling by a light foot pressure on the gas, then very likely the IACV needs attention.

We have a DIY (please look up the sticky) how to service/clean IACV. Like all DIY's it can be breeze and for some it might be worth taking to a mechanic. <- Again I can't recommend which you should follow.

Depending on which gas has been used, you may need to service the IACV as early as 70k miles. And IACV service is one of the frequent issues encountered by the members. CEL does not light up for IACV service need or even on its failure.

Lets us know how else we can help.

Salim
Old 07-11-14, 07:35 AM
DeadRX
Rookie

I would not venture in the area of selling/keeping.

Testing .... I suggested that if you can keep the engine idling by a light foot pressure on the gas, then very likely the IACV needs attention.

We have a DIY (please look up the sticky) how to service/clean IACV. Like all DIY's it can be breeze and for some it might be worth taking to a mechanic. <- Again I can't recommend which you should follow.

Depending on which gas has been used, you may need to service the IACV as early as 70k miles. And IACV service is one of the frequent issues encountered by the members. CEL does not light up for IACV service need or even on its failure.

Lets us know how else we can help.

Salim
Having trouble finding the sticky. Is it the one by tcheung?
Old 07-11-14, 07:39 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Having trouble finding the sticky. Is it the one by tcheung?
Yes, that's one : https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-write-up.html

And, another : https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...out-yours.html (Post #10-12)