RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Hitch recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-14, 04:26 PM
davidyal
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hitch recommendation?

Proud owner for a 2003 RX300. Car is great.

I'd like to add a hitch so I can use a bike rack. Any recommendations? I saw "Curt Manufacturing 13429 Class III Receiver" online with looks fairly priced and easy to install.

If folks have an alternate way to transport bikes that don't require a hitch (and don't dent / break the hatch) I'd love to hear.

David
Old 05-15-14, 06:10 PM
Raoul
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Bike rack is purpose of my hitch.
Around here U-haul will sell a comparable hitch for $130 and install for $30.
They aren't difficult to put on, just mentioning u-haul because some people don't have the tools, strength etc...

Sounds like you have a plan.
Old 05-15-14, 07:45 PM
salimshah

Received 993 Likes on 898 Posts

For hitch, I would skip the electronic interface, if you want to mount the bikes only.

The electronic module is different for different models and year of production. We have had discussions in the past. Do a search and that will prevent rehashing of old stuff.

Salim
Old 05-16-14, 06:54 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I would recommend searching local junk yards (auto recycling facilities) for a hitch from a junked RX300. Mine came with a hitch, but my recollection is that the OEM hitches are an easy bolt-on installation. There also are companies/people on eBay that are parting out RX300's.
Old 05-18-14, 07:42 AM
timmui
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Checked out four local junk yards and none of them have much in RX300 parts, let alone a vehicle specific hitch. I ordered the Curt hitch on ebay today for less than $150 with harness and it appears that you have to partially detach the muffler to install it. As for the OP, you can mount a bike on top with the right adapter and if you're comfortable lifting that high. Not sure if the bike roof rack will be much cheaper. Thule and Yakima are popular brands.

Just wondering if anyone knows offhand what was part of the towing package besides the tranny cooler. I probably will only use the hitch for a bike rack as well, but was wondering.
Old 05-18-14, 07:56 PM
ATLs460
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

IIRC it came with some simple wiring add on's (near the spare tire (for brake lights and whatnot)) and also an upgraded radiator to help combat the added heat.
Old 05-23-14, 08:06 PM
timmui
Driver

Originally Posted by Erics99RX
IIRC it came with some simple wiring add on's (near the spare tire (for brake lights and whatnot)) and also an upgraded radiator to help combat the added heat.
I did some research and discovered that AWD versions of the RX automatically come with the towing package (TO) and it includes the tranny cooler, bigger alternator and radiator. I have read somewhere that this may be to compensate for a design deficiency. Regardless, it means I have the package.

As for the hitch, I found a picture of the installation. Looks like no muffler disassembly required.

Old 05-23-14, 10:40 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by timmui
I did some research and discovered that AWD versions of the RX automatically come with the towing package (TO) and it includes the tranny cooler, bigger alternator and radiator. I have read somewhere that this may be to compensate for a design deficiency. Regardless, it means I have the package.

As for the hitch, I found a picture of the installation. Looks like no muffler disassembly required.

Please do not make any assumptions. I have seen the thing vary year to year and even in mid-year. I would verify what you have.

I bought my hitch from Lexus Parts and I can vouch that I did not have to touch the exhaust. My electronic module lasted about 7 years, I do like the Lexus kit as it had connectors for the wires and I did not need to splice any wire. As stated above, later models have a different set up.

My recommendation still stands ,,,, if you want a bike rack, just get the iron (hitch) and ditch the electronics. U haul is another source for hitch for RX.

Salim
Old 05-24-14, 06:21 AM
timmui
Driver

Originally Posted by salimshah
Please do not make any assumptions. I have seen the thing vary year to year and even in mid-year. I would verify what you have.

I bought my hitch from Lexus Parts and I can vouch that I did not have to touch the exhaust. My electronic module lasted about 7 years, I do like the Lexus kit as it had connectors for the wires and I did not need to splice any wire. As stated above, later models have a different set up.

My recommendation still stands ,,,, if you want a bike rack, just get the iron (hitch) and ditch the electronics. U haul is another source for hitch for RX.

Salim
Straight from the Lexus brochure for my 2003 model:
Attached Thumbnails Hitch recommendation?-rx-awd-to-package.png  
Old 05-24-14, 11:11 AM
salimshah

Good. You have it then. There is quite some time between '99 and 2003.

Salim
Old 05-25-14, 06:49 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by timmui
Straight from the Lexus brochure for my 2003 model:
Yep, that became standard on AWD models starting in 2001.
Old 05-25-14, 03:15 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

As you can see from the 2003 brochure provided by timmui, many things, including the towing package, were technically options. Although dealers imported essentially all vehicles with some of these options.

I special ordered my FWD RX300 in 2002 and had to wait four months for it. I didn't want the sunroof, but wanted a bunch of other options, including the towing package. You may see RX300's that came with cloth seats. I've never seen one but I think they do exist.
Old 05-29-14, 05:35 PM
bigboss
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got mine from etrailers, Hidden hitch $180, really nice. easy to install.

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitc...cleid=20012529

If you buy a bike rack, don't cheap out. the cheap ones will rattle like heck. I spent too much but it was worth it.
This is the one i got. I got it cheaper at REI when they had it onsale.
http://www.yakima.com/shop/bike/hitch/doubledown-ace-4

have fun.
Old 06-13-14, 05:26 PM
timmui
Driver

Just an update on this thread. I finally received my hitch today (which I ordered 5/17 from hitchanything.com and don't recommend after my experience with them) and wanted to share some quick notes.

First, FedEx did not like delivering my hitch. YMMV, but this is what my packaging looked like:

Hitch recommendation?-hitch-packaging.png

The hitch itself has obvious paint damage to the corners which were a result of the FedEx guy's lack of effort in preventing damage, but the hitch appears structurally sound, so I'll be picking up some rustoleum semi gloss black spray paint tomorrow. (I swear, some day I'm going to catch that FedEx guy doing this to my stuff and he's going to find out how unhappy I am with him. )

Second, if you purchased the 55245 wiring adapter (this assumes you have the TO package), you'll be pleased to discover that the necessary ATM style 20A fuse is in the package. Which isn't mentioned at all by the manufacturer's kit description. I'll be returning the fuse kit I bought in preparation for this install.

Hopefully, I'll be able to take the parts that need to be removed from my RX tomorrow in preparation for installing the hitch. Then it'll be painting time.
Old 06-14-14, 11:13 AM
timmui
Driver

Tie-down hooks removed, wiring harness installed and pictures taken. Incredibly easy so far. Now to start prepping the hitch for repainting the paint damage due to delivery.

I hardly needed any tools. 3/8" socket wrench, 10mm, 14mm and 17mm sockets, and a breaker bar to get the original 14mm bolts loosened. I put the new bolts in all six points while I'm painting to protect the threads.

I'll post pictures that I've taken later this evening.

Quick Reply: Hitch recommendation?