RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

sludge update

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-14, 06:20 AM
sportsmom
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sludge update

Date: 3-15 noticed excessive smoke from exhaust

Date: 3-19 Serviced at Chuck’s automotive

· Cleaned engine, recommend look for improvement over next few days

Date: 4-1 2nd service at Chuck’s auto-estimate extensive (rebuilt engine) repair-should contact Lexus

Date: 4-1 Contacted Lexus corporate-Joanna asked me to get service/estimate from an authorized dealer

Date: 4-1 Contacted Joe at Rohrich and set up service for Thursday 4-3

Date: 4-3 Dropped off car. Was told they would call later for estimate. Never called. Called at end of day, Joe was gone.

Date: 4-4 Called Joe at 10 am. He said they would know in 30-60 minutes. Called 2 hours later, Joe said they should know something soon. Joe called around 3pm and said they are done with it. The mechanic took pictures and will be sending to Lexus and I could pick up car.

Date: 4-7 Called Joe at 9 am-and requested he email me (gave him my email address) the pictures that were sent to Lexus so I could call them to discuss. He said Pat (Rohrich service mgr) has them and should be calling me this morning to discuss.

No call from Pat. Left message at 5:45pm

Date: 4-8 Played a little telephone tag with Pat

Date: 4-9 Pat said he is not sure how much they will cover as it is well past the warranty, and law suit. The estimate is approximately $4,000 to rebuild engine. We will probably have to show all our oil changes. (Jill-Can you order another car fax to see what details they have that you don’t). He is going to speak with the Lexus rep tomorrow and call me.

Date: 4-11 Pat called back after I left message. The Lexus rep wants the last 3 oil changes. Need to fax to Pat.

Date: 4-13 Sent fax of oil receipts to Pat.

Date: 4-14 Left message for Pat

Date: 4-16 Left message for Pat

Date: 4-17 Left message for Pat. He called back and said the Lexus rep was at a company meeting all week and he left her a message.

Date: 4-21 Was told Pat was out until Thursday (4-24). Left message for Pat that this could not wait until then and I would like to contact the Lexus rep sooner.

Date: 4-22 Spoke to a Lexus customer care rep and gave her all the details of my case-she opened a case file.

Date: 4-24 Lexus rep called and said she had opened up a case file and is will get information from Rohrich and call me back on Monday, 4-28.

Date: 4-25 Pat called and told me that his Lexus rep and her boss said that it is too old and they won’t provide ‘any’ support of any kind and that I should try to work with Lexus directly.
Old 04-27-14, 06:43 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I believe you may be snake bit, the warranty is over on this problem, but who knows, miracles do happen. If you had serviced at Lexus for the entire time, you would have had better chance, as they totally believe in customer loyalty.
Old 04-27-14, 09:01 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

CL does not represent Lexus, so the discussion is for readers benefit. I have series of questions and it would help you immensely (IMHO) dealing with Lexus.

Please post how many miles on the Odo and date of purchase. Was extended warranty purchased? When did the contractual obligations end? What is your understanding of the engine-oil-gel warranty and its stipulations? Do you possess the proof required that you were in compliance? How much servicing was done by Lexus dealership? [Not that it is essential, but by default you get the benefit that the service was done to Lexus standards].

Also, what do you expect from your vehicle based on the care it has been given and what do you expect Lexus corp to do?

Salim
Old 04-28-14, 05:12 AM
sportsmom
Driver School Candidate

There is just 75000 miles on the Odo , no extended warranty. We did send them copies of the last 3 oil changes which is what they asked for. It wasn't done by dealership but was serviced regularly. I am putting this out there because Lexus knew of the problem and should cover all engines during those years where it existed. That's why the class action lawsuit. They have a great rep. that's why most of my family members own Lexus. I would have figured they would at least split the cost.
Old 04-28-14, 06:25 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by sportsmom
There is just 75000 miles on the Odo , no extended warranty. We did send them copies of the last 3 oil changes which is what they asked for. It wasn't done by dealership but was serviced regularly. I am putting this out there because Lexus knew of the problem and should cover all engines during those years where it existed. That's why the class action lawsuit. They have a great rep. that's why most of my family members own Lexus. I would have figured they would at least split the cost.
Show them ALL service records, and let them know you own multiple Lexus vehicles! They like to see brand loyalty.

But, in all honesty, I'm not surprised they won't pay a penny. These RX300's can be as old as 16 years old according to the build date!
Old 05-05-14, 02:43 AM
sportsmom
Driver School Candidate

They did not want to see them only last 3 oil changes. My husband also told them about our family and that us, parents, aunts and uncles all own Lexus. No go. So we are taking it in to get an estimate, Not to the Lexus dealer who we had problems with my husband's car. They broke his radio/CD and didn't want to replace it til I went to Better Business Bureau. Oh well maybe a Beemer next.
Old 05-05-14, 06:34 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Hey Toyota also services Lexus....
Old 05-05-14, 10:41 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

And all dealerships are not equal.

Check around if the current engine can be resurrected by cleaners and replacing a few parts. Not that I am fan of cleaners, but just a thought.

Salim