RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Rear caliper replacement

Old 04-28-14, 05:37 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by timmui
Ok, thanks everyone for all the tips. Judging from everyone's posts, the likely culprit assuming the caliper is not the issue is between that caliper and the master cylinder. I think that means I have to take that banjo bolt off if bleeding doesn't work. So I think I'll wait until the replacement caliper gets here to see if the washers are included or not.
You can try removing the bleeder nipple before you resort to pulling the brake line banjo bolt off.
Often rust/dirt or other debris can get inside. If the fluid come out easily, then you know the blockage was in the bleeder nipple, which can be cleaned out with a paperclip and brake cleaner.
Old 04-28-14, 08:46 PM
timmui
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

gazi: when I went to that ebay link and input my year and model, I got the message saying that it didn't fit my vehicle. (btw, I live east of you)

I contacted the company that sold me my caliper and they told me that only the semi-loaded caliper is shipped. I am on my own for the washers.

It took some doing, but I finally found a parts diagram for the brake assembly which they list as a Toyota Harrier MCU15W. (Since I'm new, I am not permitted to put up outside links. The website is conveniently added at the bottom of the image by them)

Unfortunately, there are two listed part numbers for this so-called metal gasket when I cross referenced the diagram to their list for 47318B:

47389-30010
47389-50020

Looks like I need to call Lexus tomorrow morning to find out which one I need. I may end up needing both if I replace the flex hose or caliper, who knows?
Old 04-28-14, 08:51 PM
timmui
Driver

Originally Posted by fastnoypi
You can try removing the bleeder nipple before you resort to pulling the brake line banjo bolt off.
Often rust/dirt or other debris can get inside. If the fluid come out easily, then you know the blockage was in the bleeder nipple, which can be cleaned out with a paperclip and brake cleaner.
The fluid came out when I compressed the piston with the bleeder valve slightly open. Not sure if that temporarily dislodged the debris.

I'll check the bleeder valve when I bleed the brakes. Just waiting until the rain passes through my area in the next 48 hours. I also picked up some Permatex High Temp Thread Sealant #59214 to seal it when I'm done cleaning/bleeding it.
Old 04-28-14, 08:56 PM
timmui
Driver

Unfortunately, there are two listed part numbers for this so-called metal gasket when I cross referenced the diagram to their list for 47318B:

47389-30010
47389-50020

Looks like I need to call Lexus tomorrow morning to find out which one I need. I may end up needing both if I replace the flex hose or caliper, who knows?
Never mind, I'm a bit blind. I just looked at the page again, second part number is for my year RX300.
Old 04-28-14, 11:51 PM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

The fluid came out when I compressed the piston with the bleeder valve slightly open. Not sure if that temporarily dislodged the debris.

I'll check the bleeder valve when I bleed the brakes. Just waiting until the rain passes through my area in the next 48 hours. I also picked up some Permatex High Temp Thread Sealant #59214 to seal it when I'm done cleaning/bleeding it.
No. If you can not push the piston back without opening the bleeder, then the hose is blocked.
Same situation If you can move the piston with the bleeder open, your piston is free (not seized).

That is why I said ,,, based on evidence posted, your slave piston is free and you have a blockage in the hose. Can the blockage be expelled through the bleeder? Or the hose inside has collapsed is the thing you need to find out. [You determine this by checking that after purging ... can you push back the piston]
Remember not to push the brake pedal with the caliper off the rotor .. else you will have more problems at hand.

Salim
Old 04-29-14, 12:07 AM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JAB
Nipponbird: He said 'anti-seize' not 'adhesive.'
Really, read too fast, no excuse. My apologies.
Old 04-29-14, 12:24 AM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thread sealant on the bleeder nipple threads? Hope that it is not what you meant. Bleeder nipples snap easily, because it is hollow and if you want to bleed next time and something like sealant on the threads co-operate to make it unwilling to loosen, you can end up by scrapping the whole caliper.
Old 04-29-14, 09:03 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

i've never used sealant on my bleeders. However i've seen some right off the lot with either a small amount of teflon tape.
Old 04-29-14, 10:40 AM
timmui
Driver

Originally Posted by nipponbird
Thread sealant on the bleeder nipple threads? Hope that it is not what you meant. Bleeder nipples snap easily, because it is hollow and if you want to bleed next time and something like sealant on the threads co-operate to make it unwilling to loosen, you can end up by scrapping the whole caliper.
Originally Posted by fastnoypi
i've never used sealant on my bleeders. However i've seen some right off the lot with either a small amount of teflon tape.
I guess I wasn't clear enough on the intended usage. I'm going to thread the bleeder valve most of the way in and then put the sealant on the last bit of thread before screwing it all the way. Just enough to seal the very edge of the caliper where it touches the bleeder valve.

Aside from that, I called three Toyota dealerships and a Lexus dealership in my area and none of them have this washer on hand. It appears that this part is used on nearly every car made by Toyota from 2000-2011 including the ES330, GS300, SC430, Camry, Corolla, 4Runner, FJ cruiser, Matrix, Echo, RAV4, Sequoia, Sienna, etc., I can't imagine none of these cars have not had caliper issues. Are they just flipping the washer around and re-using?

I'm going to special order this $7 copper washer so that I can measure it. I'm annoyed now because I know I'm getting ripped off.
Old 04-29-14, 10:52 AM
timmui
Driver

Originally Posted by salimshah
Remember not to push the brake pedal with the caliper off the rotor .. else you will have more problems at hand.

Salim
That seems so obvious, but I didn't even think about it until I read that.
Old 04-29-14, 12:39 PM
salimshah

Not to highjack your thread, but things happen ,,, specially when you are in a hurry, taking short cuts or really not thinking of the consequences of your actions.

There has been a post here in RX300 forum where some one did exactly what was not supposed to be done ,,,, pushed the brake pedal with the caliper off.

Want to hear a worse one ,,, some on took the timing belt off and once the plugs were out, decided to check the compression ... guess what happened. Dont believe me ,,, check the GS400 Forum.

I have had my share of blunders. I am thankful that no person got injured and I have not been divorced.

Salim
Old 04-29-14, 03:38 PM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess I wasn't clear enough on the intended usage. I'm going to thread the bleeder valve most of the way in and then put the sealant on the last bit of thread before screwing it all the way. Just enough to seal the very edge of the caliper where it touches the bleeder valve.

Aside from that, I called three Toyota dealerships and a Lexus dealership in my area and none of them have this washer on hand. It appears that this part is used on nearly every car made by Toyota from 2000-2011 including the ES330, GS300, SC430, Camry, Corolla, 4Runner, FJ cruiser, Matrix, Echo, RAV4, Sequoia, Sienna, etc., I can't imagine none of these cars have not had caliper issues. Are they just flipping the washer around and re-using?

I'm going to special order this $7 copper washer so that I can measure it. I'm annoyed now because I know I'm getting ripped off.
You could get the doorman washers which I mentioned before from the local Autozone for $3 dollar. I installed those in my banjo bolt no problem at all. Check your brake hoses for better fluid flow. If you need to replace those go for goodridge stainless steel one.

Last edited by gazi001; 04-29-14 at 03:41 PM.
Old 04-29-14, 04:57 PM
JAB
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I tried to rebuild a caliper once, many years ago. Took it off the car but couldn't get the piston out. Took it to a gas station and put compressed air into the brake fluid inlet. Lucky I didn't have my fingers on the piston; it was like a rifle shot.
Old 04-29-14, 04:59 PM
salimshah

For banjo washers, you can visit diesel (truck) repair shops. Their fuel delivery system employes banjo bolts at practically each connection.

Salim
Old 04-29-14, 05:27 PM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
For banjo washers, you can visit diesel (truck) repair shops. Their fuel delivery system employes banjo bolts at practically each connection.

Salim
The oem banjo bolts washer different shape ( you could see my uploaded picture) than the universal round one but do the same job.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear caliper replacement