RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Loose Steering Rack Bushings

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-14, 02:02 PM
CubFan22
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loose Steering Rack Bushings

Club Lexus Brothers,
1999 Rx300
I have loose bushings on the steering rack. Probably from driving on bad roads.
While driving steering its intermittengly loose, can turn wheel a few inches and tires dont move.
Lexus offers a gasket assembly kit to repair the bushings for $150.
Anyone have any luck with this?
I was able to find a new rack for $250
Does anyone know the labor hours estimate for each solution?

Thank so much
Old 04-25-14, 11:44 AM
eddieleee
Driver School Candidate

Cardone Re-manufactured Steering rack
That is 238.99 and if you use P20 as a coupon code for 20% , you can save $50 max, which means if you need something else order it separately afterwards with the same coupon code.

I am having the same problem with my Lexus currently and even though there is some information spread around, the consensus seems to be just by a another rack. Some would prefer to buy brand new, but I think this will be good enough for both of our problems.

You may want to look into replacing your tie rod ends as well, and possibly a power steering pump. The tie rod ends you can inspect and get an idea if you REALLY need too, but I am going to go ahead and replace mine for the work involved and a little extra confidence in the long run. You may want to double check that your powering steering pump is looking good as well, I am replacing mine as it is leaking and is clinging on barely. When one goes back, it can contaminate the system (debris, stress, etc) and take out the other but it isn't always the case. However, but considering you are already going to be "in there" something to double check.

Also considering looking at your suspension check for any cracks or fractures in EVERYTHING on the wheel well.

Springs look good?
These rarely need replaced but check them anyway

What about the shocks?
f you put your whole weight over a shock and let it release how springy is it, these are a semi serious investment to replaced, they are not super important to replace unless they are failing, that makes them an emergency. However it is something you should buy if you need to be "cheap" worn OEM shocks are a good set generally unless they fail you won't get a huge benefit going with CHEAP replacements.

Brakes?
Replace them if they need it, check the rotors as well, replace them if they need it, don't screw around with brakes.

Bleed the brakes and replace the fluid if you haven't, I don't have a suggestions but search will find it. I haven't purchased new fluid yet myself but I know there are some suggestions out there just not off the top of my head.

Tires?

If you need new tires, this is the time to get them, because you will want to consider taking the car in for an alignment, people seem to go back and forth but if you change the steering rack, tie rod ends, shocks, and other components and tires you may want to throw this in.

That is a rough run down of the situation you face, I figure I would over-reply just in case someone else runs into this, and it will give some more information in one place because I found I was running around with my symptoms trying to narrow things down to what it was.
Old 04-26-14, 06:32 AM
CubFan22
Driver School Candidate

Lee thanks so much for the advice and coupon code. Will use it for sure. Let me know how things turn out for you. That coupon code is great, brings the part down to $180 plius 8 dollars ground shipping. I have a mechanic that will do labor only, outer tie rods ($28) and alignment for $360. Catch is he said it couild be more if he runs into snags removing old rack.
After jacking it up at a repair shop, we noticed power steering fluid is slowly leaking from about the middle of the rack. Unfortunately I forgot to ask where it is leaking from. Do you think it leaking from a bushing or a hose? I have no experience workign with steering racks.
I believe the pump is working fine as the power steering seems to work most the time but its intermittently when driving. I wonder if I the tie rods, rack moutns or joints are loose causing this? Would prefer to just to tighten it up and keep topping off steerting fluid that pay $550 for a new rack for the time being, I just sank $1100 into new tires and brakes.
Old 04-28-14, 06:15 AM
CubFan22
Driver School Candidate

The P20 promotional code was not to the price in the shopping cart prior to checking out? Any ideas why?
Old 04-28-14, 02:23 PM
eddieleee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CubFan22
The P20 promotional code was not to the price in the shopping cart prior to checking out? Any ideas why?
Try This

If you search advanced auto parts from google and click the first link it should lead you to the page I linked where it talks about the P20, its a link from google advertising basically through AA. Should work, in theory.

I could be reading wrong how it isn't working for you though.

Originally Posted by CubFan22
Lee thanks so much for the advice and coupon code. Will use it for sure. Let me know how things turn out for you. That coupon code is great, brings the part down to $180 plius 8 dollars ground shipping. I have a mechanic that will do labor only, outer tie rods ($28) and alignment for $360. Catch is he said it couild be more if he runs into snags removing old rack.
After jacking it up at a repair shop, we noticed power steering fluid is slowly leaking from about the middle of the rack. Unfortunately I forgot to ask where it is leaking from. Do you think it leaking from a bushing or a hose? I have no experience workign with steering racks.
I believe the pump is working fine as the power steering seems to work most the time but its intermittently when driving. I wonder if I the tie rods, rack moutns or joints are loose causing this? Would prefer to just to tighten it up and keep topping off steerting fluid that pay $550 for a new rack for the time being, I just sank $1100 into new tires and brakes.
If the rack is leaking, no matter where really you will want to replace it because its either a bad seal, or a crack somewhere very rarely will it be a "tighten and go" issue as much as I wish mine was as well. You CAN top it off and just keep driving it (like I am) but you want to be careful, it only takes the wrong thing to bring and your steering is toast while you are moving. With that being said I would personally jack it up on one side and slide under there and look and see how bad it is, if you are leaking gradually you will be alright. HOWEVER, if it is leaking the means there is an out, which means some debris could work its way back IN and contaminated fluid will kill things (Power Steering pump). Also what is "intermittently" because it should be an always there problem if its just a leak, if its fine then bad, then fine, I am not sure what would be causing it but I would be afraid of that just because it sounds like there would be a pressure spike with the system.

Last edited by eddieleee; 04-28-14 at 02:30 PM.
Old 05-01-14, 06:09 AM
CubFan22
Driver School Candidate

Thank you so much i was able to apply the p20 discount. The great help like this is a big money saver.
I am going to replace the rack and suppose the outer tie rods also at the same time.
Do you think 3 mecanic hours labor is a good estimate for this job?
Old 05-04-14, 05:40 AM
CubFan22
Driver School Candidate

Watched a couple steering rack replacement videos on youtube
Here is one for a toyota 4 runner, guy is a character.

It took him 45 minutes by himself. So I believe 1-2 hours labor plus the alignment is a good estimate.

Looking for a DIY on here but no luck so far
Old 05-04-14, 05:52 AM
CubFan22
Driver School Candidate

I purchased a refurbished rack for $208 from Advanced Auto Parts. The core deposit was $138.
Its on the way.
I know I have a leak and the steering is loose but its possible
the leak is coming from one of the two hoses and the loose steering is from
a mounting rack loose or something. With onlyh 84K miles a new rack is odd.
One mechanic told me the power steering
leaks are more than often coming from one of the hoses, and not the rack itself.
Is it likely the rust or natural wear of time has corroded the rack? with only 84K miles
i am surprised it needs replacing.