RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

RX300 - change of radio unit

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-14, 10:18 PM
galtom
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks impressive but it is not really helping my case :-(.
I would love to know what wires, at the back of radio & display unit are responsible for what. I have to replace both and from what I understand they do not look exactly the same at the back.

For example it would be very useful to know, what wire is responsible for antenna in the rear and what wire is it in new radio. So that I do not have to go through all the options to see if everything is working. Especially that I will not plug in GPS unit (I do not have it), so some wires will have to stay unused. I still hope the rest - display for other than sat-nav functions, climate controls and radio will work without it. I also hope that US and European measurements scale (F & C) are somewhere in this unit not in the main computer of the car....
Old 05-23-14, 10:51 PM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Lexus like other luxury lines, uses proprietary standards for entertainment. Audio signals between units are analog, but are dual differential and the level is higher that what is referred in the industry as line (preamp) level. If you want to do mix and match good luck to you. Communication between the units is through Lexus's serial protocol.

There is enough discussion on line in (search for these).

Salim
Old 05-23-14, 11:20 PM
galtom
Driver

I honestly don't have a clue what you just said and how it refers to me 😞. I don't want to mix and match anything, I simply want to change/replace radio and display.
Old 05-24-14, 11:15 AM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

I tend to ramble, so if it does not apply to you, please ignore. Stay within Lexus line. Also there are 3 manufacturers of audio products.

Salim
Old 05-25-14, 03:20 PM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by galtom
I would love to know what wires, at the back of radio & display unit are responsible for what. I have to replace both and from what I understand they do not look exactly the same at the back.

For example it would be very useful to know, what wire is responsible for antenna in the rear and what wire is it in new radio. So that I do not have to go through all the options to see if everything is working. Especially that I will not plug in GPS unit (I do not have it), so some wires will have to stay unused. I still hope the rest - display for other than sat-nav functions, climate controls and radio will work without it. I also hope that US and European measurements scale (F & C) are somewhere in this unit not in the main computer of the car....
Here is our RX 300 Pinout diagrams for non navigation radio, multidisplay, CD changer and power amplifier (courtesy BJ Park). Now you have to integrate with navigation radio system. Good luck. If you need any help let me know. Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: docx
Instrument Panel pinout.docx (43.0 KB, 354 views)
Multidisplay pin out.docx (73.3 KB, 305 views)
Power amplifier.docx (78.5 KB, 285 views)
R7 C6.docx (60.3 KB, 239 views)
Radio Cassette assembly.docx (55.2 KB, 268 views)
Old 05-25-14, 06:45 PM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

I upload all the non navigation radio plugs ( Radio, CD changer, Cassette player, Instrument panel and powewr amplifier) pin out as picture for better view. (Courtesy BJ Park) So now you need to integrate all the plugs and wires with navigation radio system.
Attached Thumbnails RX300 - change of radio unit-radio-cassette-assembly-1.jpg   RX300 - change of radio unit-r-6-r-7-plug-pinout.jpg   RX300 - change of radio unit-instrument-panel-plug-pin-out.jpg   RX300 - change of radio unit-multi-display-pinout.jpg   RX300 - change of radio unit-power-amplifier-pinout.jpg  

Old 05-25-14, 09:51 PM
galtom
Driver

gazi001 - YOU ARE A HERO!!!!
Last question :-)
I understand you do not have a similar info for units with navi?
Still, having info as above is a GREAT HELP!

From what I understand I need to find corresponding wires on new unit to make sure "old" wires will be connected to their exact equivalent in new unit.

Last question - does any of you actually have radio with sat nav as the one I have just bought?
Old 05-25-14, 11:09 PM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

gazi001 - YOU ARE A HERO!!!!
Last question :-)
I understand you do not have a similar info for units with navi?
Still, having info as above is a GREAT HELP!

From what I understand I need to find corresponding wires on new unit to make sure "old" wires will be connected to their exact equivalent in new unit.

Last question - does any of you actually have radio with sat nav as the one I have just bought?
Galtom, Can you pm me your e-mail address I will send you all the pin out for nav radio system? As you seen my YouTube video I have the nav radio installed in my non-nav RX 300.
Old 08-30-14, 03:24 AM
galtom
Driver

OK, I am about to make a swap.
I got all the documents I was able to find on forums however I am missing description of two sockets/plugs:
1. multidisplay - I would need to have schematics of this plug, so I can correctly connect the wires
2. instrument control panel - as above, so that I know what wires from existing set (old radio without sat/nav) go to where in new unit.

I bought "new" unit second hand so it did not came with any wiring :-(

Can you help?
Old 08-31-14, 07:56 PM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Look my post # 20 for non nav radio instrument panel to match with I17.
Old 09-03-14, 07:10 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Lots of good information here, thanks for sharing.