RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

How to remove rear power outlet

Old 02-11-14, 08:52 PM
kgrx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove rear power outlet

I'm trying to access the brake light failure module behind the driver's side rear trim in the rear of the RX300 and I can't figure out how to remove the rear power outlet which seems to be holding the trim piece in. Anyone know how to remove this trim piece and presumably the power outlet that is on the trim piece?

Thanks!
Old 02-15-14, 10:52 PM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You have to remove the outer side of the power outlet first by pressing the inner pin there.
Old 03-19-14, 11:36 AM
Casawolves
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gazi001
You have to remove the outer side of the power outlet first by pressing the inner pin there.
can you explain more on removing the "inner pin" what it looks like....push with screwdriver? thanks
Old 03-19-14, 03:19 PM
Casawolves
Driver School Candidate

Default RX-300 Rear Power Outlet

Have searched the forums with no luck, did find not so clear instructions. Can anyone help me in instruction to remove the rear outlet cover. Am trying to replace the brake light sensor. Any assistance greatly appreciated.
Old 03-23-14, 08:41 PM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Casawolves
Have searched the forums with no luck, did find not so clear instructions. Can anyone help me in instruction to remove the rear outlet cover. Am trying to replace the brake light sensor. Any assistance greatly appreciated.
Here I upload a pdf file for" how to remove cigarette lighter or power outlet" . Hope it will help you. Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
owenstrawn (12-01-18)
Old 03-14-15, 12:57 PM
captdalton
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Rear power outlet

Did you figure out how to remove the rear power outlet without breaking it? I am attempting now as well.

Whoever decided that was a place to put a sensor needs to find something else to do for a living.
Old 03-15-15, 03:47 AM
captdalton
Driver School Candidate

Default Power outlet removal

Could not see the pdf posted above on-screen, but it printed out good enough to see.

From my exercise with this, it took a small flat-head screwdriver to apply pressure to the retention tabs while pulling out with a pair of pliers. Had to pull it pretty hard, but by then I figured if it broke, I didn't care anymore and gave it a good yank. It came out.
Old 03-15-15, 07:51 AM
maxSteel
Instructor

Received 240 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by captdalton
Could not see the pdf posted above on-screen, but it printed out good enough to see.

From my exercise with this, it took a small flat-head screwdriver to apply pressure to the retention tabs while pulling out with a pair of pliers. Had to pull it pretty hard, but by then I figured if it broke, I didn't care anymore and gave it a good yank. It came out.
I wanted to get it out at one time because I wanted to tap into its power line to power a trailer lighting module. Eventually I gave up. I was making progress but it seemed like it was getting damaged a lot.
I just connected a cigarette plug and wire to the module and I plug it in when I need it.
Old 03-16-15, 01:10 PM
captdalton
Driver School Candidate

Default Almost but no cigar

I managed to get it out in what appeared to be operable condition. However when I re-installed it, the sleeve doesn't stay in. must have broken off a little piece of the tab that retains it.

Oh well, nothing ventured nothing gained.

It does appear the solder job on the brake light failure sensor worked.
Old 04-01-15, 09:35 AM
captdalton
Driver School Candidate

Forgot I took some pics while attempting this:

This pic was after I twisted the metal ring a bit counter clockwise and used a small flat head screw driver to depress one retention tab. Pull out slightly and depress retention tab on the other side.

It slide out about 1/2" then felt stuck. I grabbed the dge of the metal ring and gave it a good tug and it came out.

Oncs I had it apart it made much more sense, however, in my zeal to free it from the panel, I broken a small piece of retention tab off and now the metal portion doesn't stay seated.
The following 2 users liked this post by captdalton:
AlanVR (11-29-18), owenstrawn (12-01-18)
Old 04-01-15, 10:46 AM
maxSteel
Instructor

Received 240 Likes on 202 Posts

nice pics, thank you.

In my attempt I broke some of the plastic that the metal socket goes through.
It really shouldn't be this complicated to get the thing out.
Old 05-03-15, 08:35 AM
scubajim
Driver School Candidate

Very helpful captdalton thank you!!
Old 11-29-18, 05:52 PM
AlanVR
Driver School Candidate

This is a great thread! Thanks captdalton! The pdf came thru and I could see the tab to push inside the metal tube...I only had one. Also it helped to twist the metal tube back and forth while pulling to make it easier to come out a little at a time. I was able to figure out that the plastic housing had retention tabs too. That was not clear to me at first. I did break the plastic housing before trying this...I thought it had some sort of 2 piece sliding assembly...and prying on it broke it. I will refer to this post for the guys needing to do lamp failure module repairs. Now on to the LFM it isn't readily visible.
Thanks again! Blessings!
AlanVR