RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Remote Starter

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-03, 08:50 PM
gp1200x
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Remote Starter

Has anyone been able to install a remote starter in the Lexus and rewire the car so that the Panic button acts as the remote starter button? I really don't want to have to carry another remote control module. Anyone know where I can obtain a wiring schematic for the 99 RX?
Old 02-02-03, 06:23 PM
MattS
Driver School Candidate

Default There's Another way

You can use your existing remote. Just had remote start put into my RX and it uses the existing remote control. I activate by pushing "lock" unlock" and then "lock". The unit was installed using no extra key with an extra module. The original starter was from Audiovox.
Old 02-02-03, 06:56 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

MattS,

Welcome to ClubLexus.

Great info. I've been looking into a remote starter in
preparation for another "warm" NC summer.

A new member bearing helpful info. I likey!

Great start! (Pun intended)
Old 02-03-03, 03:29 AM
ThomasD650
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up Remote Start

I just had a remote start added to my 2002. I was told that I could not use the existing remote due to the fact (and I tried it) that when the car is running, the remote on the key is disabled. The lock/unlock or panic buttons on my remote due not work when the key is in the ignition and the car is running. Therefore once you started the car, you would not be able to unlock the doors.

I had done a search on here before getting it done and was unable to find anyone that had it done using the existing remote...

Anyway, I had a Pursuit system put in, it is made by Audiovox. There is an advantage in having a seperate remote in that it has a range of 600-1000 feet. The thing works from real far away and you do not need to be in view of the car for it to work. I have been using it from inside stores while shopping. places I would never expect it to work and it does... :-)

It is a great feature for the cold winters in NY and I am sure it will be usefull in the hot summers as well....
Old 02-03-03, 03:32 AM
MattS
Driver School Candidate

Default You are right

You are correct. The remote function of the key does not work when the car is remote started. But, the key still works in the lock. so rather than unlocking it from the remote when remote started, I just put the key in an unlock. To me, the convenience of not having to have another FOB on key ring (already have a couple) was well worth the inconvenience of unlocking by hand when remote started. The Clevelan winters sure get cold too and this has helped a ton!

Thanks
-Matt
Old 02-03-03, 03:44 AM
ThomasD650
Driver School Candidate

I admit when I decided to get the remote start and was first shopping around, I too did not want another remote. But I have ajusted to it quickly. I really am still carrying only 1 remote since the factory one is part of the key.

I forgot to mention before, that I did have to give up my Valet key as part of the installation. Although I did not see that as an inconvienence, I have had the car 8 months and had never used it.
Old 02-03-03, 02:17 PM
ThomasD650
Driver School Candidate

Question Heat settings

While we are on the topic, does everyone else using a remote start notice, It seems no matter what I leave the Heat set at when I park the car at night (Max Hot, High Fan) When I start it the next day it is set at 75 degrees and maybe a fan setting of 2.

Not really a big deal, but I am wondering what is going to happen in the summer when I try leaving it on Max Cool?

Maybe I should be using the "Auto" setting?
Old 02-03-03, 02:25 PM
MattS
Driver School Candidate

Default I'm Auto All The Way

I leave mine set at auto temperatures and it holds the temperature regardless.
Old 02-03-03, 03:22 PM
flossn
Lead Lap

This is for those that have remote starters with new remotes: Will your windows down/sunroof open feature work on the new remote? If you don't already know, if you press and hold unlock on the factory key the windows go down and the roof opens! I'm curious if this works on aftermarket starters? Thanks for any help
Old 02-03-03, 03:26 PM
MattS
Driver School Candidate

Default All features still functional

Yes, sorta. That was the first thing I checked, right in the shop. I verified that the windows down on remote and up with key inserted. These things only work, however, when not in remote start. Once the vehicle is remotely started, or for that matter started with the key, the remote functions of the FOB no longer work, but can be accessed with a key through a lock on the exterior of the vehicle. All in all , I am very please with the remote start. The only thing I could wish for is that the remote still work when the car is started, but this is a Lexus engineered item and is not affected by the addition of remote start.

-Matt
Old 02-03-03, 03:42 PM
flossn
Lead Lap

I figured that wouldn't work as you said you're using the factory remote. I was asking more towards those that are using aftermarket remotes as they would be able to lock/unlock even while started. Thanks for the response though!
Old 02-03-03, 03:58 PM
ThomasD650
Driver School Candidate

In a standard installation, using a new remote, that feature is not hooked up. But that is not to say it is impossible. They should be able to tap into that as an added option on the new remote using a couple of optional relays.

As a matter of fact it is listed right on the option sheet from my remote starter. "Remote Power Window Control" as well as "Remote Garage Door Interface".

Hope that helps...
Old 02-03-03, 03:59 PM
ThomasD650
Driver School Candidate

Default Heat control

Thanks for the tip on the Temp control Matt, I will certainly give it a try.
Old 02-03-03, 05:51 PM
flossn
Lead Lap

Thanks, so i'm assuming if they tap into the factory system, the sunroof would still open as well. That's nice to know. Makes me wonder if there's a wire or two that you could tap into to make the factory remote work when the car is running (ie; providing a new ground for it if the factory one is what cuts out when the car is started). If the computer works it however I think we're out of luck.
Old 02-03-03, 07:24 PM
ThomasD650
Driver School Candidate

Lightbulb

What I would like to do is find the wire that would make everything close again. Do you know how many times I showed off the neat opening trick to people, only having to follow it by getting in the car to close everything.

Quick Reply: Remote Starter