RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Loud POP while driving...now small noise when turning

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-14, 03:59 PM
Boltzmann
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Loud POP while driving...now small noise when turning

I was driving on the freeway earlier today when I heard a very loud POP. It almost sounded like a rock hitting my windshield, except there was no rock (and even if there was, it would have had to have been a small boulder to be as loud as it was).

The car continued to drive perfectly fine. From the point of view of the cockpit, nothing had happened. No check engine light before or after. Steering was fine. No vibrations or shaking. All seemed perfectly fine.

However, when I was turning into the parking lot at school, there was a subtle "clunk" that seemed to come from the front driver's side wheel well (subtle enough that if I had had the radio on, I wouldn't have noticed it...the car continued to steer and turn perfectly fine). I took a look at the area after I had parked the car, but couldn't see anything out of the ordinary. Nothing leaking, for example. Nothing dangling. No freshly exposed metal that I could see.

I drove the car back home (via the freeway again), and the car drove perfectly. Nothing out of the ordinary. However, when I was turning into our driveway, I heard that little clunking sound again. As before, the car turned and performed perfectly fine.

What do you think it could be? I plan to take it to my mechanic, but I was hoping to wait until this weekend when I don't need it to drive to and from work.

One more piece of info: I had the struts replaced in April, so I doubt it's those. In addition, I had a sensor replaced a couple months ago, and if my mechanic had seen something "off" or worrisome then, he would have told me.
Old 01-15-14, 04:45 PM
kalali
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it were mine, I would have it inspected first thing tomorrow. You need to have a close look at the undercarriege to make sure nothing is broken. It could be just hitting a piece of debris but my curiosity would not let me drive the car. YMMV.
Old 01-16-14, 08:22 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

possible a cv joint?
Old 01-16-14, 09:13 AM
mshumack
Driver

Find a big empty parking lot, if you can, and make slow speed, tight, "figure-8 turns" in forward and reverse. If you have a failing CV joint you will here the clicking/popping noise as you change directions.
Old 01-16-14, 05:52 PM
OCed
Driver School Candidate

I agree it's probably CV joint. But One thing you might want to look at is the transfer case. I had a Volvo AWD wagon that had the same exact thing happen. Same sound, same scenario. Never heard a bang that loud without actually hitting something.
Old 01-17-14, 04:40 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

What I generally suggest is to have someone else drive and you listen like on a quiet road (parking lot mentioned above works well, too), so you can isolate the noise.

I was curious if you ever heard a small series of consecutive pops while turning or one single distinct pop.

I had a pop that I would get under acceleration at a light and it turned out to be an exhaust gasket underneath the vehicle, but most often the turning pop cold be anything from a cv joint (as mentioned above), steering rack or a suspension piece.

Also would be interested to know if you have tried turning the wheel full and seeing if pop comes on, or just when doing a normal turn.
Old 01-17-14, 02:18 PM
Boltzmann
Driver School Candidate

I took it to the mechanics today (a place that specializes in Toyota and Lexus). They had it the entire day. Two different technicians drove it, two different technicians jacked it up and looked around, and they couldn't find anything wrong with it, either. In fact, they claim they couldn't hear any unusual noises at all when driving it.

CV joints are fine---I predicted they would be...the boots look good, no grease or anything leaking out, no "popping" noises when turning---brakes look fine, all fluid lines and belts look fine. Everything seems fine.

I'm on my way to pick it up now.
Old 01-17-14, 02:21 PM
Boltzmann
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexmex

I was curious if you ever heard a small series of consecutive pops while turning or one single distinct pop.

I've only ever heard one pop, and that was the very loud one that seemed like a boulder hitting my windshield. No popping while turning; in fact, the car steers perfectly. It's definitely not the CV joints, as the technicians confirmed.
Old 08-28-14, 09:20 AM
KayMichael
Driver School Candidate

Default Boltzmann Same thing happened to me

Hi Boltzmann,
The same thing just happened to me when driving to work this morning. A VERY loud pop, sounded like a boulder hit my car but then nothing. I parked the car, looked underneath, top, sides - nothing noticeable, no leaks and then it drove fine. I turned off the radio to listen for any noises, nothing out of the ordinary. I have an apt for 3 days from now (soonest I could get in). Reading this thread was helpful and I hope it's not the CV Joint or something else that is serious. I was curious, after you got the all clear from your mechanic in January, did the car continue to drive well?
Old 08-30-14, 02:52 AM
AnthonyMtz
Pole Position

My RX300 did the same thing found out it was the upper and lower ball joints also changed bushings wile getting it done. Problem solved
Old 06-05-16, 03:18 PM
RandyIS250
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

some peoples are weird, they have no clue with the question and then they told the thread owner to go to check with Mechanic, car forum is for solution and idea, ofcourse they going to bring to the Shop, stop wasting time.

Loud popping noise when turning or reversing is cause by Strut Mount or Ball Joint, my is250 and Solara doing the same for years i wouldnt worried because i know exactly what it does. My 2001 Solara strut mount never replaced lol it's OEM from the factory in 1999 hahahaha.

bad Endlink and Bushing causes clunking noise when go over a bump you also feel wobble, bad steering rack causes that as well,bad steering pump causes the steering rack hard when turn, bad Engine mount also makes noise but no worry, bad tie rods makes your car sloppy or pull to one side.

Steering rack and CV joint don't make loud pop noise, when the steering rack indicate a sign of bad rack it's eazy to verify, either the rack leaks or the steering wheel has more than an inch moment, my rack on the toyota solara when bad 5 years ago i did not bother to replace, you feel light and sloppy (banana squeezing) but it's fine as long as its not leaking.

CV joint goes bad also make noise but its not the same like this popping noise and it will be constantly, like if it makes noise every time you turn left or right then it could be CV joint, if once awhile then check ball joint and strut mount. Ball joint is what makes me worry, you must replace them or your wheel collapse.
Old 06-05-16, 08:37 PM
Drcoffee
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

The loud bang with softer bang turning up your driveway would make me think of a sway bar end link breaking. Or tie rod binding. Ball joints are always on the list of suspects. Top strut mounts too.
Old 06-05-16, 09:33 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

If you notice the date of post #10, this thread has been dead for almost 2 yrs.

Salim