RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

hearing a chime after major undercarriage repairs

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-14, 12:50 PM
djeddieo
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default hearing a chime after major undercarriage repairs

Hi all,
I haven't been on the forums since posting about my daughter's first accident HERE, since she has been back at college and the car's been just sitting in the driveway (too cold for any voluntary mods). Well, she came home for the holidays and despite our pleading to take a train, decided to undertake a solo road trip from Boston to Litchfield County CT to meet the boyfriend's mom. She made it about 15 miles when, just before entering the Mass Turnpike she slammed into the left curb, breaking the front axle and bending the rear:

She claims the car had started lurching back and forth on its own, as if the front axle broke CAUSING her to hit the curb. The mechanics as well as the tow truck driver all seem to believe that that doesn't happen, and I've been asked more than once if she may have been on the phone (she says she wasn't and I believe her.) In any event, I'm just happy she didn't roll it, or hit anyone else.

I just picked it up after some $2000 in repairs, and on the ride home, I'm hearing a chime - like the seatbelt reminder - whenever I accelerate, or that's what it seems like. Unlike the seatbelt reminder, there's no icon lit in the dash. Any idea what that could be?

Another odd thing that may or may not be related is when I try to lock it with the button on the keyfob, I hear a sustained beep coming from the firewall area (and the doors do not lock). After locking with the key in the lock, the remote will UNLOCK the doors, but not lock them again, same sustained beep. Thoughts?

Oh, I don't yet know exactly what was repaired/replaced; mechanic was kind enough to allow me to take the car home today and he hasn't finalized the bill yet.
Old 01-11-14, 01:17 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

The lock issue could be a dead actuator. Look for a door that does not respond when you use the electric locks.

I kind of remember that a chime can go off with low brake fluid and maybe the VSC too. Make sure the brake fluid is topped off. If it's still doing it, look for the little yellow VSC light.
Old 01-11-14, 01:21 PM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Are the doors closing properly? Try pushing each from inside and outside to see if they are secure .. at times a seat belt gets in there and prevent a full closure. The sensor that tells if the door is closed fully is part of the door lock actuator.

The alarm thing you are getting, tells you that the doors failed to lock and your RX is not secured.

Salim
Old 01-11-14, 02:44 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Poor RX.
Old 01-12-14, 05:33 AM
kalali
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad she made out OK. Hitting a curb in an SUV, especially at speed, could have disastrous results. Make sure the transmission fluid is not low. That could cause lurching.
Old 01-20-14, 02:57 PM
djeddieo
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by salimshah
Are the doors closing properly? Try pushing each from inside and outside to see if they are secure .. at times a seat belt gets in there and prevent a full closure. The sensor that tells if the door is closed fully is part of the door lock actuator.
The alarm thing you are getting, tells you that the doors failed to lock and your RX is not secured.
Salim
yup; turns out the rear hatch wasn't completely closed. figured that out after recharging the dead battery, lol.
Originally Posted by kalali
Glad she made out OK. Hitting a curb in an SUV, especially at speed, could have disastrous results. Make sure the transmission fluid is not low. That could cause lurching.
Agreed Kalali. As long as she's okay and she didn't hit or hurt anyone else, no big deal. I will check the tranny fluid though, thanks.
Old 01-25-14, 11:31 AM
toyo
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Glad to hear that your daughter is ok. Is that all it cost is 2K for that hit?
Old 01-25-14, 07:28 PM
edupim
Rookie

in my case it happens when i forget to close firmilly the back door. every time the car pass thru 1000 or 2000 rpm the chime cames
Old 01-28-14, 06:03 AM
djeddieo
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by toyo
Glad to hear that your daughter is ok. Is that all it cost is 2K for that hit?
That's the estimate; can you believe my mechanic still hasn't called with the total? Going on 3 weeks since he called and told me to pick it up! My wife says "maybe it's free!" No honey, it's not likely free.....
Old 01-28-14, 02:30 PM
edupim
Rookie

here in Brazil do this is dangerous.
After pick up the car they wait a little and send a big bill and if you complain they say why you got the car ?
Old 01-28-14, 03:15 PM
djeddieo
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by edupim
here in Brazil do this is dangerous.
After pick up the car they wait a little and send a big bill and if you complain they say why you got the car ?
this guys a friend; been fixing my cars since I drove a Buick Century with a clothespin holding up the loose window! 20 years later and it's two Mercedes and this lucky Lexus!
Old 01-28-14, 04:06 PM
edupim
Rookie

good having a mecanic friend. it is worth more than gold