RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Dreaded VSC & Check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-14, 04:59 AM
kalali
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dealerships typically don't accept customer provided parts and if/when they do, you put yourself at their mercy. Do what was suggested and see what happens but in all fairness, your current issue is indeed unrelated to the work they did and could be just a bad luck. The good news is there is a DIY here somewhere for that issue. All the best.
Old 02-06-14, 06:30 AM
driver1988
Driver

I wouldn't take it to the dealership. Should do more research before taking it there, cuz all they're gonna do is troubleshoot and yes, fixing random things is expensive at your lost and their gain.

I took my RX to the dealer to replace alternator and a blown fuse in which i was not able to take out ALT 140 i think?

Anyway, after picking up the car from dealership i instantly noticed my fuel economy dropped from the average 18mpg to a mere 12mpg. There was also a deep drown like sound when accelerating 30mph+ and the car lacks power. Dealer claims car drove fine and was like that when i took it in.

Lexus dealership is a joke. They probably sabotaged my RX. I called to complain. They scheduled me to come in. When i got there, they wanted me to sign a paper so they could look at it. Basically they want me to sign it so they can charge again. I told the dude that i didn't come in for service, but came in to complain because they F-ed my car.

Dude finally decided to waive the fee. Ridiculous service. In the end, they couldn't even find anything and decided to point to a small donut pipe and claimed that it's rusty and i should repair it. I didn't want to randomly repair so i took my car home.

Last edited by driver1988; 02-06-14 at 06:43 AM.
Old 02-10-14, 01:37 PM
fatpc
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus dealership woes

I do plan to email a letter to the main Lexus office with a record of all my receipts, any vehicle can have multiple breakdowns, but my issue is, a customer following what the dealership states will fix the problem with their vehicle and the repair doesn't change anything, yet the dealership still charges the customer.

Issues like these cause a complete break down in trust and confidence in a business. Lexus (Toyota) as a company has plenty of revenue, and in cases like mines they should have taken the lost since they mis -diagnosed my vehicle repair. In my view, the vehicle problems are exacerbated by the poor customer service.
Old 02-10-14, 02:39 PM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Please do not take my post as defensive argument, but take it as information and choose the best course that you see fit. You can replace Lexus with any manufacturer for this discussion

Lexus is supposed to provide you a defect free vehicle and provide you warranty and reimburse dealership/owner for all warranty repair work. Any repair beyond warranty is mostly between the dealership and owner (read on).

The dealership acts as an extension of Lexus and charges either the customer or Lexus corp. They are supposed to get an agreement to perform repairs and share estimated cost and only on approval they can do the repairs. Additional cost approval must be obtained from the owner verbally or in writing.

So what has Lexus got to do with repairs out side of warranty:
Lexus makes profit on the parts
If the new part fails within its warranty period they pick the labor or part of it (confirm with dealer)
Lexus protects its name_brand/reputation

So IMHO the issue is really between you and the dealership. Lexus would look into the matter but I would start at service manager and dealership owner. Labor has to be paid either by owner, dealership or the manufacturer. Bad/wrong/incomplete diagnosis losses should be borne by who ever commits the mistake. The case you have to make is that you paid premium labor rates to get competent technical assessment. If they threw in un-needed parts then they should take them out.

Some where 'sanity' and resonableness needs to be applied and a compromise should be made.

I wish you best of luck. Keep us informed.

Salim
Old 02-15-14, 08:58 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Interested to know what Lexus corp says.