RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Successful Key Transponder Programming!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-06, 09:48 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There's a ton of keys available on ebay, many from locksmiths with licenses and the ability to cut the key and many from joe blow who is as likely to send you the wrong key as not, stick with the locksmiths.
Old 10-20-06, 09:50 AM
RX300Scott
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Carver: I haven't seen a VALET key. Just the ignition keys....
Old 11-01-06, 07:18 AM
BadAssGS3T
Driver

The ECU went bad on my RX300 and it had to be replaced. I bought a used one off of ebay and of course, it did not come with a key. As expected, the car won't start with this ECU since the code programmed into it is different from that sent by my key. Since I don't have the master key for that ECU, is there a way to erase all existing codes (including master key code) and reprogram the ECU with the keys I have? The guy at the Lexus dealer told me that the prohibition mode will only erase the the remote codes and not the master key and I still need to have the master key for that computer in order to get it to work. Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 11-01-06, 09:19 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RX300Scott
Carver: I haven't seen a VALET key. Just the ignition keys....
The valet key is non-remote and won't open the glovebox, it's the dark grey one on the right. Run a search on eBay for rx300 valet key, should be plenty.

Old 11-01-06, 09:21 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BadAssGS3T
The ECU went bad on my RX300 and it had to be replaced. I bought a used one off of ebay and of course, it did not come with a key. As expected, the car won't start with this ECU since the code programmed into it is different from that sent by my key. Since I don't have the master key for that ECU, is there a way to erase all existing codes (including master key code) and reprogram the ECU with the keys I have? The guy at the Lexus dealer told me that the prohibition mode will only erase the the remote codes and not the master key and I still need to have the master key for that computer in order to get it to work. Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
The dealer should be able to reflash your ecu and reprogram your existing keys. When I had it done, they reprogrammed my existing valet key as well as two new masters.

ON EDIT: The reprogramming of the ECU ran 208US which included programming the three keys.

Last edited by Carver; 11-01-06 at 09:54 AM.
Old 11-01-06, 06:47 PM
BadAssGS3T
Driver

The dealer where I took my car won't reflash the ECU. In fact, they refuse to deal with a used ECU. I wish I could just pay a couple of hundred dollars and get this over with. Unfortunately, I need to figure out a way to flash that ECU myself.

I know I'll probably have to take the computer apart and do some unsoldering if the atmel is not mounted on a socket but that's no big deal. In addition, I already have an atmel programmer so all I really need is the software. However, I have no idea where to get that software from. If the atmel is not locked, I can read it but I would not want to change values where I am not supposed to.. If anyone here has the software that the dealer use to reflash the ECUs or have another suggestion, please email me nplacide at aol dot com. Thanks.
Old 11-02-06, 04:24 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

The link mentioned above will reflash it for125, of course you have the hassle and expense of fedexing it to them.

http://www.toy-lex.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=13
Old 11-02-06, 09:41 AM
BadAssGS3T
Driver

Originally Posted by Carver
The link mentioned above will reflash it for125, of course you have the hassle and expense of fedexing it to them.

http://www.toy-lex.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=13
Thanks. I checked out the link. However, according to their web site, you have to purchase the keys from them if they are to do it at that price. I did find a place locally where they are willing to do it for $100. I am taking the ECU to them this afternoon. I will post later to let everyone know about my experience with them. Thanks again.
Old 11-02-06, 10:13 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BadAssGS3T
Thanks. I checked out the link. However, according to their web site, you have to purchase the keys from them if they are to do it at that price. I did find a place locally where they are willing to do it for $100. I am taking the ECU to them this afternoon. I will post later to let everyone know about my experience with them. Thanks again.
That's good news! What sort of place is it?
Old 11-02-06, 06:13 PM
BadAssGS3T
Driver

Originally Posted by Carver
That's good news! What sort of place is it?
I went there this afternoon. It's a pretty big business and they are apparently very reputable. The name is ACE (Automobile Computer Exchange). They do computers for all the car dealerships in the area but of course, the dealers keep them a secret. I remember that my dealer wanted to charge me $600 to rebuild my computer. Those guys told me that they do all the rebuilding for my particular dealer (which was later confirmed by one of the techs at the dealer). They only charge $175 to rebuild the computer and if they have a board that's ready to go in stock, you don't even have to wait! Plus it comes with a 12 months warranty!

The owner is a very nice guy and is also a car guy with a 2006 Z06, a new Ford GT40 and some other goodies. He was showing me a modified 1JZ ECU with different fuel maps, boost cut etc...

On the other hand, the tech guy was a bit pricky...He made everything sound as if it were so difficult. He told me that the software was based on HEX numbers and even guys who had been doing this job for years were not able to use it properly. I was trying to get him to give me some explanation but he told me that I would not understand. Now, mind you, I am a software engineer with a master's degree in computer science. After I told him that, he told me that it had to do with reverse engineering. Big deal. I have reversed engineered many programs and I am as fluent in assembly language as any decompiler....lol (those into that field will get the joke). At any rate, he still judged that I was probably too dumb to understand anything he might have told me. At any rate, I dropped the subject when I realized I was not gonna get anywhere with that guy.

To sum it up, it was a very positive experience with a bunch of very friendly, very positive people (just don't try to ask about the software...lol). In addtion, the tech guy knew what he was doing. He had me going in no time after I stopped bugging him with my questions. Heck, not only did he flash the junkyard computer for me, he also fixed what was wrong with my original computer at no extra charge. Yep, I only paid $100 and I am very happy with the work they did. I am not posting any info about them because I don't know if it's allowed to do so since they are not a CL sponsor. However, anyone in need of their service may email me for their information.
Old 04-07-07, 01:34 PM
PortAh
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Need help programming the remote door lock/unlock on the new remote key I got. (Ignition programming already done and working)

Because of the door lock actuator problem, dealer cannot program the remote. 3 out of 5 on/off pressing on the door button on the driver door, results in stucked door lock(didnt move). Hence they say cannot program the key.
I saw the remote programming instruction calls for pressing door button 5 times.

Is it true that a new remote key cannot be programmed for door lock/unlock because of driver door actuator problem?
No other workaround(say if I manually flip the door lock to lock/unlock position every time it stucks)?

The ignition portion of the programming works so I can start the car ok with the new key.

Thanks.

Last edited by PortAh; 04-08-07 at 01:12 PM.
Old 06-29-08, 10:34 PM
Pete Walls
Driver School Candidate

Does anybody know if this will work for a 2000 ES 300 too? I lost my key to my wife's car.

Edit: Please post in ES Forum ,,, Count down to deletion has started. Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 12-01-12 at 07:33 AM.
Old 06-30-08, 04:08 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete Walls
Does anybody know if this will work for a 2000 ES 300 too? I lost my key to my wife's car.
I did program a replacement key-associated remote for a neighbor's 1999 ES300. In 1999, the key was a separate unit from the electronics. I found the step-by-step instructions on the web (probably on ClubLexus), and the precedure worked fine.
Old 11-29-12, 06:49 AM
presas4846
Driver School Candidate

Default lx470 2000

anyone test this instructions for a lexus lx470 2000...i need to program the tree buttons of my key... and is not clear if this work for lx470
thanks i will try

Edit: I will leave this post here for few days. Please post in the LX forum. Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 11-29-12 at 07:00 AM.
Old 01-31-15, 02:18 PM
oldusedone
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Daddy-O
Thanks, ederny, I hope all goes well with the new key(s).

So, does this make all the key functions work?
Start, lock/unlock doors, and panic button?

Here are those instructions:

Programming replacement keys. 1998 and up Lexus models

-Enter the car with a working pre-programmed key and close all doors.
-Simultaneously depress and release both the brake and the accelerator pedals.
-Within 5 seconds, insert the working pre-programmed key into the ignition. Do not turn the key.
-Within 15 seconds of inserting the ignition key, depress and release the accelerator pedal 5 times.
-Within 20 seconds, depress and release the brake pedal 6 times.
-Within 10 seconds, remove the working pre-programmed key from the ignition.
-Within 10 seconds, insert the newly cut transponder key into the ignition.
-Depress and release the accelerator pedal one time. The security light should now begin flashing to indicate that the computer is reading the new key and programming the system.
-Leave the new key in the ignition for at least 60 seconds. When the security light stops flashing, the programming process should be complete
-Start the vehicle using the new key to verify that programming was successful.
I bought my keys from ikeyless.com but the instructions they gave me did not work for my 2002 rx300, the above instructions worked for both keys first time, thanks. Called Lexus to see if they would cut the keys for me and they said no, they won't cut internet ordered keys. The locksmith I used said he checks for brass in the uncut key, if you have a cheap key brass is in in or not not sure which, but he won't cut it as that type damages the $100 bit on the key cutter. First time I figured out what these keys are and how they work. Dealer price about 275. I paid 120 + 25 to get it cut. Also spent about four hours trying to understand the process but that knowledge will help me understand the world.

Last edited by oldusedone; 01-31-15 at 02:27 PM. Reason: grammar error

Quick Reply: Successful Key Transponder Programming!