RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Successful Key Transponder Programming!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-15, 09:12 AM
chrisrod
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you, gentlemen and ladies. I recently purchased two refurbished blank remote keys for our recently acquired 2000 Lexus RX300 from CarAndTruckRemotes.com for $119.95 each, with free shipping. I needed them quickly and they sent them Express Mail (which was next day here); they CLEARLY went the "extra mile" for me! The programming instructions contained in this forum worked perfectly for programming both the engine start transponders and the door lock/unlock and panic remote functions.
Old 08-31-15, 02:34 PM
Harrellsm
Driver School Candidate

Thank you all! I just got my key from 1010keys on ebay. Pre-cut using key code. Key works as advertised but instructions are not right. The instructions on this thread worked first time.
Old 03-06-18, 02:21 PM
JAB
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default New Key Programming

Is this still the recommended method for programming the immobilizer function (not the remote ock/unlock/panic functions) of a new cut key for 1998 and up Lexus models?

-Enter the car with a working pre-programmed key and close all doors.
-Simultaneously depress and release both the brake and the accelerator pedals.
-Within 5 seconds, insert the working pre-programmed key into the ignition. Do not turn the key.
-Within 15 seconds of inserting the ignition key, depress and release the accelerator pedal 5 times.
-Within 20 seconds, depress and release the brake pedal 6 times.
-Within 10 seconds, remove the working pre-programmed key from the ignition.
-Within 10 seconds, insert the newly cut transponder key into the ignition.
-Depress and release the accelerator pedal one time. The security light should now begin flashing to indicate that the computer is reading the new key and programming the system.
-Leave the new key in the ignition for at least 60 seconds. When the security light stops flashing, the programming process should be complete
-Start the vehicle using the new key to verify that programming was successful.
Old 03-06-18, 03:37 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by JAB
Is this still the recommended method for programming the immobilizer function (not the remote ock/unlock/panic functions) of a new cut key for 1998 and up Lexus models?

-Enter the car with a working pre-programmed key and close all doors.
-Simultaneously depress and release both the brake and the accelerator pedals.
-Within 5 seconds, insert the working pre-programmed key into the ignition. Do not turn the key.
-Within 15 seconds of inserting the ignition key, depress and release the accelerator pedal 5 times.
-Within 20 seconds, depress and release the brake pedal 6 times.
-Within 10 seconds, remove the working pre-programmed key from the ignition.
-Within 10 seconds, insert the newly cut transponder key into the ignition.
-Depress and release the accelerator pedal one time. The security light should now begin flashing to indicate that the computer is reading the new key and programming the system.
-Leave the new key in the ignition for at least 60 seconds. When the security light stops flashing, the programming process should be complete
-Start the vehicle using the new key to verify that programming was successful.
Jab:
Just look at last few posts and they say the instructions worked. Why doubt when members have vouched for the process. If it does not work for you please report that the process is flawed or if it works, please vouch for it.

Thanks
Salim
The following users liked this post:
Puttster (03-06-18)
Old 03-08-18, 09:21 AM
JAB
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Worked perfectly first time. Only suggestion is that before you begin you make sure you have a clear line of sight to the security light and that you not be in a brightly lit area or you may have trouble seeing it switch from off to blinking red, then after about 60 seconds to green.

Valet key cost me $110.00. Not exactly sure how much the dealer would have charged to program, but probably about $125.00.
Old 06-07-20, 04:58 PM
BDW1
Driver School Candidate

Default 2000 rx300

Originally Posted by salimshah
Jab:
Just look at last few posts and they say the instructions worked. Why doubt when members have vouched for the process. If it does not work for you please report that the process is flawed or if it works, please vouch for it.

Thanks
Salim
I have a 2000 rx300 the key ( a non remote key) but there is a transponder ring around the ignition switch. The key would not turn it was stuck between acc and lock. I was able to get the ignition switch out. Tried to take it apart to see if i could fix it. Tried to get the pins out around where the key goes so i could remove the cylinder.
so now i bought a new ignition switch with 2 new keys, problem is the transponder ring around the switch, the key is non remote but how do i program the new keys and ignition lock cylinder?
Old 06-10-20, 05:28 AM
Mauser
Pit Crew

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by BDW1
I have a 2000 rx300 the key ( a non remote key) but there is a transponder ring around the ignition switch. The key would not turn it was stuck between acc and lock. I was able to get the ignition switch out. Tried to take it apart to see if i could fix it. Tried to get the pins out around where the key goes so i could remove the cylinder.
so now i bought a new ignition switch with 2 new keys, problem is the transponder ring around the switch, the key is non remote but how do i program the new keys and ignition lock cylinder?
If your original key is a master it can be used to add the new keys. If it is not then you will need your ecu to be flashed. I can help if you need it.
The following users liked this post:
BDW1 (06-30-20)
Old 06-30-20, 05:53 PM
BDW1
Driver School Candidate

Yeah. I tried the process a few times now and the key won't program. I replaced the whole ignition cylinder, the old programmed key fits in the new lock cylinder. I tried the process but no luck. How do i flash it?
Old 07-01-20, 12:03 AM
salimshah

Yeah. I tried the process a few times now and the key won't program. I replaced the whole ignition cylinder, the old programmed key fits in the new lock cylinder. I tried the process but no luck. How do i flash it?
Basic requirement is to have a Master Key in procession which is registered with the ECU of the vehicle.

Salim
Old 07-01-20, 05:35 AM
Mauser
Pit Crew

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I can help in a couple of different ways. If you are adventurous I can send you an eeprom with the virgin code written to it. I also have a couple of virginized ecus, or if you wanted to send your ecu to me I can virginize it for you. You could also try to find a locksmith that can flash the ecu for you. They usually charge anywhere from 200-400 dollars.
Old 03-20-21, 04:13 PM
dandabear
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
Jab:

Thanks
Salim
hi Salim and others. I have a 2004 Lexus rx330. I ordered two keys from amazon because my kids destroyed my others. I had one programmed at a locksmiths and it works fine. I've been trying to program the second one but I can't get the transponder to program. Specifically, I can't get the car to enter into programming mode. I've followed the directions posted above, both the version with the simultaneous gas/brake press and the one without, to no avail. Does anyone know what might be happening.
Old 03-20-21, 08:52 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by dandabear
hi Salim and others. I have a 2004 Lexus rx330. I ordered two keys from amazon because my kids destroyed my others. I had one programmed at a locksmiths and it works fine. I've been trying to program the second one but I can't get the transponder to program. Specifically, I can't get the car to enter into programming mode. I've followed the directions posted above, both the version with the simultaneous gas/brake press and the one without, to no avail. Does anyone know what might be happening.
You must be in procession of a registered master key to get the process going.
Try with another key that you have and even try the broken key.

Salim
Old 03-22-21, 09:47 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 864 Likes on 692 Posts

Last year I did and ECM swap and paired my existing keys to a replacement ECM I got fro ebay but I have no idea if this procedure would work for the RX300.

Link to thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...preciated.html

It takes a lot of juice leaving the key on for so long so in hindsight I should've started up the car and charged the battery up before doing this but it worked for the RX330.

Plz let us know if you figure it out.
Old 03-23-21, 06:50 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by Margate330
Last year I did and ECM swap and paired my existing keys to a replacement ECM I got fro ebay but I have no idea if this procedure would work for the RX300.

Link to thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...preciated.html

It takes a lot of juice leaving the key on for so long so in hindsight I should've started up the car and charged the battery up before doing this but it worked for the RX330.

Plz let us know if you figure it out.
Somewhere Lexus changed the requirement of having "Master key" and first gen needs the Master Key. Confirm with dealer.

Salim
Old 09-05-21, 06:41 PM
slothman
Rookie

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ederny
...after a search of CL. On the LS430/400 forum, VVT-i posted these instructions for programming the remote (not sure if this works on the RX, but will give it a try):

To program your remote entry:
Make sure no key in ignition, driver door open and another 3 doors are closed and locked.
Insert the master key into ignition switch then remove it. Lock and unlock driver door 5 times( use the lock and unlock buttom at the door handle, not the master switch).
Then close and open the driver door one time.
Lock and unlock driver door 5 more times (at the door handle, same like the second step).
Then insert the master key in ignition and turn it on and then off. Remove the key. You hear the door lock and unlock itself once.
Then press the lock and unlock bottoms on the key (at the same time) and hold it for about 3 seconds.
Release both bottoms and then just press the unlock bottom for about 3 seconds and you should be done with reprogramming the remote entry.

VVT-i's origional POST.

I am adding the entire set of programming instructions from Lexus below which I've followed successfully for the Remote programming (essentially identical to the above, but calls out the options):
---------------------------
If anyone can help, I cannot get my FOBs programmed. I am following these steps exactly. I have tried it fast and slow. All door locks are functioning. All doors are closed except the driver side. When I get to the final step, I am not getting the "confirmation" of door lock and unlock to program the FOB. What do I need to do ?

Quick Reply: Successful Key Transponder Programming!