RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Evaporator Leakage

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-13, 02:17 AM
KwopNaan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Evaporator Leakage

Hello Guys,

I have an RX300 which i got used this year with 78k miles.

Few days ago i discovered temperature gauge rising towards 90 and over. The water in the radiator also shorts. I checked my fans and concluded that the fans were not working, but when i switch on the AC the fans work. So i resorted to using the AC pending when i can get to an auto shop.
I now observed that the carpet on the drivers side was damp, so i took out the foot mat and pressed with my finger, the entire carpet was soaked. I check the passenger side and it was worse.

I want to know if anyone had this kind of problem before, and how did you fix it?

Is it possible for me to use a sealant or something?

All suggestions are welcome
Old 12-09-13, 10:48 AM
salimshah

Received 993 Likes on 898 Posts

The evap coil is in a plastic sell and has a drain pipe.

Amount of condensate depends upon humidity [recirc setting may help if you are in a high humidity area].
The drain pipe may be clogged. This has been discussed .. my favorite way is to use weed whacker (square or star cross-section). Some use compressed air (be careful with that).
If your refrigerant is not at the right pressure, then you can get excessive condensation.
Last of all, the seal between the two plastic pieces may have gone bad over time. <= with the age of the vehicle this is very possible. The fix is to tear whole assembly and reseal it.

Salim
Old 12-10-13, 03:44 PM
mshumack
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the radiator is low on water it leads me to think the heater core is leaking. The heater core is located approximately behind the glove box. It is easy to test, just fill up the radiator and put a pressure tester on it. Any shop can do this (probably for free as they assume they will get the repair job).

Usually coolant leaking out the heater core will start as a slow leak. Many times you can smell it (I describe it as a sickly-sweet smell), especially if you put the heater on.

It is possible to use a sealant if the leak is small enough but that is not really a good idea because the sealant will want to plug any small passage and there are coolant passages (air bleeds, etc.) that you may also plug up. If the heater core is leaking your best bet id to replace it.