RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Automatically locked out?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-03, 02:39 AM
ederny
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default updated - Feb 23

Zar,

I would say just the driver's door locked/unlocked with the remote would be all that is needed. And the timing is in 2 parts, 30s then 20s. FOr a total of 50s.

Originally posted by Zarlov

My questions are still:
1.) Do I lock, then unlock the entire car using the remote or just the drivers side??? (one push for driver, second push for entire car)
2.) Do I have to do the the first part of the "Passive On" instructions within 10 seconds? I see the alotted time is 30, and then 20 for the second part. (Parts being divided by the forced auto-lock response) Does this mean the entire process should take no longer than 30 seconds and the first part must be performed in less than 10?
Perhaps I can get some time to play with this again and let you know if I find any tips.

PS Some insurance companies offer a discount for having an "Active" (self setting) alarm.

Update - I have not been able to get these instructions to work.

Last edited by ederny; 02-23-03 at 06:34 AM.
Old 02-20-03, 03:16 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ederny, yes automatic security activation appeared to be one of the criteria for reduced rates on a rate form I recently completed for New Jersey Manufacturers Ins. Co.

Unfortunately I had to say "NO" for my luxury vehicle; disappointing.
Old 02-23-03, 06:36 AM
ederny
Pole Position

Default Zar, I also, have not been able to get the Passive On instructions to work!

Old 02-23-03, 06:45 AM
ederny
Pole Position

Default Re: Automatically locked out?

Chuck, I've tried to have an open mind on this auto lock thing. Although Many of us insist this does not work the way your wife described, it actually happened to me today as I was sitting in the vehicle, key out of the ignition and in my garage. It was about 30 sec after my last action, which, if I recall correctly, was remove the key from the ignition. Interestingly, that action is included as one of the ways to activate the Passive Alarm if programmed On.

I'll keep looking into this...

Originally posted by Chuckieb
My wife (who is never! wrong ) said she pulled into the gas station the other day, got out of our 2000 RX, put the keys in her pocket, filled the tank and then went inside to pay. When she came back to the vehicle the doors were locked. She did not lock the vehicle, she insists the doors locked automatically. She also thinks this has happened one other time when she walked away form the vehicle purposly not locking it, only to come back a few minutes later to find the doors locked. Our service advisor (whom I respect) says this is impossible, but I see there are c-best settings for the automatic activation of the security system 30 seconds after the key is removed and the doors are closed. If the security system is automatically activated, would you not assume it would lock the doors? Or is the service advisor correct? And how do I break the news to my wife that she is wrong?

Last edited by ederny; 02-23-03 at 06:47 AM.
Old 02-12-07, 05:12 AM
mschluns
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

heres how my 2000 rx will lock automatically, if rx is locked and we use fob to unlock and we open the rear hatch first, as if at the wal mart, storing bags. keys back in pocket and after 1 minute ,doors will auto lock if no other doors have been opened. this happens everytime.
Old 02-12-07, 06:42 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by mschluns
heres how my 2000 rx will lock automatically, if rx is locked and we use fob to unlock and we open the rear hatch first, as if at the wal mart, storing bags. keys back in pocket and after 1 minute ,doors will auto lock if no other doors have been opened. this happens everytime.
Hmm, I always see this occur when I stick my shopping bags (I also go to WalMart) just behind my seat and after a minute of just having the back left door open for a minute, beep and the doors will lock.
Old 02-12-07, 04:20 PM
Lex-X
Driver School Candidate

huh....i thought every1 had this O.o?

i own a '99 (100K) that i bought pre-owned...and i am absolutely positive that it WILL lock itself - there's plenty of times i've gone somewhere, parked, and walked off without locking knowing full well it will lock itself...

...then again - it's also known to lock itself...even with the keys in the car...and in the ignition (car off)...only experienced that once and hope never have to learn that lesson ever again
Old 02-12-07, 05:20 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Lex-X
huh....i thought every1 had this O.o?

i own a '99 (100K) that i bought pre-owned...and i am absolutely positive that it WILL lock itself - there's plenty of times i've gone somewhere, parked, and walked off without locking knowing full well it will lock itself...

...then again - it's also known to lock itself...even with the keys in the car...and in the ignition (car off)...only experienced that once and hope never have to learn that lesson ever again
Well, if I just leave one of my front doors or the rear hatch open, won't lock itself, just with one of the rear doors open by itself.

Of course, if I have not set the alarm and all doors are closed, won't be too long before I hear beep and the vehicle will lock itself.
Old 02-13-07, 12:45 AM
jonle
Driver School Candidate

I got a similar symptom on my '99 RX300, but only on the front passenger door, which I suspect is a bad door switch. I hit the unlock then open the right passenger door only, after about 30sec. I hear a beep then the car locks itself. It happened many times then I noticed that the door light does not turn on when that door is opened. Therefore, with the logic, the lock/unluck is tied into the door light switches.
Old 02-13-07, 08:32 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I leave my RX unlocked in the garage. It never locks itself.

Maybe it's a C-Best setting.