RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Automatically locked out?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-03, 01:48 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ederny, I will try that on my '03, as I would like to have the vehicle lock up automatically.

Do you see any way to have the vehicle lock up when one is in the vehicle with the ignition on? I have long wanted to have the vehicle lock up automatically when I get in the car and close the doors and start the car. I asked the dealers and they all told me that isn't possible, ever. Perhaps what you posted does that too! Sounds like it! If so, or if you find a way to do it, we'll buy you dinner somewhere nice in Boston if we get up there this month to see the Gyrfalcon on the Boston Design Center!
Old 02-02-03, 02:31 PM
ederny
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Interesting challenge!

Bob,

Sounds like it could be done. Perhaps a signal from Drive position or engine run key position could be used to operate the locks. If I get some time, I'll look into it.

I too like the locks to activate when driving in the vehicle. Will let you know.

BTW, my post above is from the dealer shop manual and I am not sure if it will lock the door locks. In other words, even with passive mode set on, I'm not sure the doors actually lock (alarm activated).

Does anyone have passive auto lock on, who could confirm whether the doors actually lock by them selves, or does only the alarm become armed?
Old 02-03-03, 02:07 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

the dealer told you it was impossible??? i know someone w/ an 01 toyota celica; get in car, close door, turn engine on and doors automatically lock. on the other hand, leave car running, open door, manually lock doors, ad they will automatically unlock itself before you get a chance to close the door, so you cant lock yourself out while the car is running. so there you have it.
Old 02-03-03, 02:50 PM
parula
Instructor

MeZ: I know I have had may rental cars of various brands that auto lock and I personally like the feature, but as I say, a dealer told me it was not possible back when I had my '99. Believe me I was surprised but my theory and opinion is that Lexus does not want people calling the 4-year free road service when they lock themselves out of the car!

Ederny: in your post, for both the MODE OFF and MODE ON sections you reported at the end of each section that the, "system should start force lock after 2 seconds." Is that language actually in each of those sections?

Do you believe the term "force lock" is auto-locking the doors or the feature of the system mentioned earlier referring to the inactivation of the door locking mechanism when the key is removed and doors closed; but in that section 30 seconds is the time of activation?

Thanks for the info.!
Old 02-03-03, 04:00 PM
ederny
Pole Position

Default No Problem Bob...

Yes, That language is actually in the manual. The text is a quote from the manual. I believe "forced lock" means that the locks operate by themselves, that is lock automatically to signify that step in the instructions.
Old 02-04-03, 03:37 PM
parula
Instructor

Default Here goes!

Ederny: I'll try it on an '03 and let you know if I am locked in!

For the birders out there, seems like the Gyr is still there http://www.nebirdsplus.com/gyrfalcon.htm . cool.
Old 02-05-03, 02:56 PM
parula
Instructor

Default Puzzling,

as I tried several of the programming routines and nothing seemed to happen or change on an '03. Will try it again this weekend whenI have more time, as I may not have followed the procedure correctly. I did not start the car before removing the key for example.

So . . . ... still in search of a way to auto-lock a $35k car!
Old 02-07-03, 12:58 PM
parula
Instructor

Ederny, apparently there is a way to automatically lock some Lexus vehicles.

See the brief reference in the 13th paragraph on this site http://www4.fosters.com/autos/articles/auto_1114c.asp
Old 02-07-03, 05:45 PM
ederny
Pole Position

OK Bob, intresting link, thanks. I remember I had a Detroit sled once (late 80s Olds) and it auto locked when put in drive. the 95 Jag also does. Some do, some don't. I wonder why it's not in the CBEST settings?? I'll have a look at the RX schematics this weekend.

Last edited by ederny; 02-07-03 at 05:46 PM.
Old 02-17-03, 09:58 AM
parula
Instructor

I checked with my dealer told who me that the RX cannot be set to autolock the doors like the ES!

It is hard to imagine Lexus not considering this feature. It would be easy to activate the autolock when the drivers seat belt is latched and putting the car in Drive; which I have noted as a nice feature on some other makes I have rented.
Old 02-17-03, 05:04 PM
ederny
Pole Position

Default Hey Bob, I sorta have worked out a circuit...

...to give us what we want. I was going to use "Drive" as the input for the door locks. Weather is too cold (vote for my pic in the contest!) to actually try to get the prototype together. Maybe in a month or so...

Funny thing, I thought I read in the CBEST settings there is a programmable feature to, would you believe, "unlock" the doors when going to park! did I read it wrong? I'll go back and read it again.

We'll have some fun with this soon.
Old 02-18-03, 10:54 AM
Zarlov
Driver School Candidate

Default Are these instructions the same for 2000s?

I tried these instructions on my 2000 RX and I never got the auto-lock response. I don't quite understand the part that says you can either unlock or lock "any" door with the remote system or the key, but then you have to open the driver's door, so obviously you can't lock it because you would have to unlock it. And if you start with all doors and hatches "closed and unlocked" I guess you have no choice but to lock a door, therefore it can't be the driver's door. Unless of course, you can do anything you want before starting the aformentioned sequence withint the 30 second time period. In other words, these instructions are that clear to me

Just to get the lingo straight, when it refers to the driver's side door locking ****, it means the manual one, not the "auto-lock/unlock all doors" toggle switch, right? I beleive I've tried every combination I could think of (starting the car, then turning it off, as well as just inserting the key, turning to accessory, then pulling it out). I never got the auto-lock response.

I've seen a BMW dealer do a similar sequence to program a 328i I used to have for the alarm settings. It took him a BUNCH of tries as well to get it right. Anyone have success with this on a 2000?

-Zarlov
Old 02-18-03, 11:37 AM
ederny
Pole Position

Default Re: Are these instructions the same for 2000s?

So Zar, I'll comment below in the quote. I beloieve it should work, but have nothing to confirm that. First I assume we are talking about the Passive On instructions earler in this thread. Second, In doing this programming, I find one has to be fast, when they say within xxx sec, they seem to require you complete the step before the time runs out.

Originally posted by Zarlov
I don't quite understand the part that says you can either unlock or lock "any" door with the remote system or the key, but then you have to open the driver's door, so obviously you can't lock it because you would have to unlock it. [Seems the easiest thing to do is use the REMOTE while you are sitting inside with all the doors closed] And if you start with all doors and hatches "closed and unlocked" I guess you have no choice but to lock a door, therefore it can't be the driver's door. Unless of course, you can do anything you want before starting the aformentioned sequence withint the 30 second time period. In other words, these instructions are that clear to me

Just to get the lingo straight, when it refers to the driver's side door locking ****, it means the manual one, not the "auto-lock/unlock all doors" toggle switch, right?
[Right. they intend you to operate the lock on the door you pull and push next to the door opener handle] I beleive I've tried every combination I could think of (starting the car, then turning it off, as well as just inserting the key, turning to accessory, then pulling it out). I never got the auto-lock response.
-Zarlov

Last edited by ederny; 02-20-03 at 02:43 AM.
Old 02-18-03, 11:53 AM
Zarlov
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. I understand you so far. Here's some clarification.

I have tried using the remote while sitting inside the car (seemed easiest to me as well), have used the door locking ****, and done all the required steps within the 30 second window.

My questions are still:
1.) Do I lock, then unlock the entire car using the remote or just the drivers side??? (one push for driver, second push for entire car)
2.) Do I have to do the the first part of the "Passive On" instructions within 10 seconds? I see the alotted time is 30, and then 20 for the second part. (Parts being divided by the forced auto-lock response) Does this mean the entire process should take no longer than 30 seconds and the first part must be performed in less than 10?

Thanks for your help.

-Zarlov
Old 02-19-03, 04:03 PM
parula
Instructor

A Dodge Caravan about 6 years old in which I rode today has autolocking when the car reaches a speed of about 12 mph according to the owner and my own experiences in the vehicle.

This sounds like another easy criterion on which to base autolocking in Lexus cars like the RX.

If Dodge can do it . . . ... imo, it should be possible everywhere at least as a programable option.

Quick Reply: Automatically locked out?