RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Transmission won't shift to third until temp rise

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-13, 06:00 AM
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission won't shift to third until temp rise

Just bought 1999 rx300 and found that it does not shift to third until there is a temp rise on indicator. I have read about this restriction for overdrive. Is this also normal for shifting to third when cold. It doesn't seem or feel right.. Too many rpms. Trying to decide if I should have it looked at. Thanks , Erik
Old 10-12-13, 08:35 AM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

The solution is to drive slow and keep rpms at 2.5k and 3k at max till the engine and transmission warm up. Idelling the engine wont work.

Salim
Old 10-12-13, 05:11 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus!

It's normal.

You can do a search here, and you will find tons of threads on this topic. Once you read a few it will give you the peace of mind you need!
Old 02-20-14, 02:29 PM
DriveVE
Driver School Candidate

That is Lexus' idea of how to quickly circulate oil through the engine. It is annoying but you will get used to it except in very cold weather when it takes much longer for the engine to warm up the slight bit necessary for this hold-in-gear thing to D\C .
Old 02-24-14, 03:25 PM
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, I got a remote start to handle the winter. Thought there might have been a problem with the car.
Old 02-24-14, 04:32 PM
ATLs460
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes, a remote starter is GOLD in the cold winters with our must warm up tranny.
Old 02-25-14, 07:05 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by Erics99RX
Yes, a remote starter is GOLD in the cold winters with our must warm up tranny.
I'd be interested in learning how?

I can understand that comfort part where a remote starter would warm up the coolant and get heat in the cabin.

Driving is the best way to get things at optimum temperature.

Salim
Old 02-25-14, 07:39 AM
ATLs460
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by salimshah

I'd be interested in learning how?

Salim
Well basically when it's -15 F outside, the added wind on the radiator really makes it take a while to warm up when driving.

I actually see my temp needle drop slightly going down long hills when no gas is applied and the injectors kill.

I just hit my remote start 15 mins before I need to leave and I can shift to third immediately after leaving my driveway.

I'm on a 50mph road within 200 feet of my driveway so hanging out in second gear till it warms up really isn't ideal
Old 02-25-14, 09:13 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

[QUOTE=Erics99RX;8399896]Well basically when it's -15 F outside, the added wind on the radiator really makes it take a while to warm up when driving.

I actually see my temp needle drop slightly going down long hills when no gas is applied and the injectors kill.

I just hit my remote start 15 mins before I need to leave and I can shift to third immediately after leaving my driveway.

I'm on a 50mph road within 200 feet of my driveway so hanging out in second gear till it warms up really isn't ideal[/QUOTE]

I agree this should be at the least a safety concern. My 330 trans does this in I think 3rd or 4th gear. But it isn't long, and in a higher gear. So it`s a lot nicer to deal with. Doesn't bother me at all.
Old 02-25-14, 11:36 AM
salimshah

Well basically when it's -15 F outside, the added wind on the radiator really makes it take a while to warm up when driving.

I'm on a 50mph road within 200 feet of my driveway so hanging out in second gear till it warms up really isn't ideal
I hope I can get my point across ,,, getting the coolant temp up by idling does not raise transmission temp.

Salim
Old 02-25-14, 03:47 PM
ATLs460
Pit Crew

Then quite possibly it's not trans temp that regulates this...

Because when I warm up the car for 10-15 mins before leaving the house, it shifts to third as expected.

Now if I just start and drive, we're talking a couple minutes restricted to 2nd gear...which on a 50mph road is asking for trouble.
Old 02-25-14, 07:02 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Then quite possibly it's not trans temp that regulates this...

Because when I warm up the car for 10-15 mins before leaving the house, it shifts to third as expected.

Now if I just start and drive, we're talking a couple minutes restricted to 2nd gear...which on a 50mph road is asking for trouble.
It is in fact coolant temp that allows the car to shift into overdrive after it comes up to a certain set point (can't recall exact temp).

But what Salim is saying is that although you are able to get 4th gear everything else is still cold, engine oil, transmission fluid, differential fluids, etc.

The most efficient way to warm up is to just drive gently and keep rpms' below 2.5 to 3k rpm when cold.
Old 02-25-14, 07:04 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DriveVE
That is Lexus' idea of how to quickly circulate oil through the engine. It is annoying but you will get used to it except in very cold weather when it takes much longer for the engine to warm up the slight bit necessary for this hold-in-gear thing to D\C .
Not quite, it's mostly done for emissions reasons. Trying to get the catalytic converter hot as quick as possible.
Old 02-26-14, 03:41 PM
ATLs460
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by hypervish

It is in fact coolant temp that allows the car to shift into overdrive after it comes up to a certain set point (can't recall exact temp).

But what Salim is saying is that although you are able to get 4th gear everything else is still cold, engine oil, transmission fluid, differential fluids, etc.

The most efficient way to warm up is to just drive gently and keep rpms' below 2.5 to 3k rpm when cold.
Thanks for confirming that it IS in fact coolant temp and not trans temp that regulates it.

I am well aware that all other fluids aren't warm yet, but crawling along a 50mph road until the other fluids rise in temp isn't a possibility for me. My home is maybe 200 feet away from said road.

For everyone else...yes...just keep it under 3k as long as possible.
Old 02-26-14, 08:10 PM
salimshah

Thanks for confirming that it IS in fact coolant temp and not trans temp that regulates it.

I am well aware that all other fluids aren't warm yet, but crawling along a 50mph road until the other fluids rise in temp isn't a possibility for me. My home is maybe 200 feet away from said road.

For everyone else...yes...just keep it under 3k as long as possible.
Is that the closest ramp or the only ramp?

Salim

Quick Reply: Transmission won't shift to third until temp rise