RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Interference or Non-Interference

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-13, 08:50 AM
colenzae
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Interference or Non-Interference

Can't remember which our RX's are..........I have about 110k on my timing belt, plan to change it this week but I'd like to know anyway......
Old 10-11-13, 10:06 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

This thing never dies ,,,,

Simple rule:
Lexus Variable valve engines are interfering ... and depending on circumstances (relative position of piston and valves ,,,, as controlled by VVTi) you may or may-not be in interference mode.

As you do the timing belt replacement, there are steps to ensure piston and valves do not hit each other.

Salim
Old 10-11-13, 10:33 AM
colenzae
Intermediate

Originally Posted by salimshah
This thing never dies ,,,,

Simple rule:
Lexus Variable valve engines are interfering ... and depending on circumstances (relative position of piston and valves ,,,, as controlled by VVTi) you may or may-not be in interference mode.

As you do the timing belt replacement, there are steps to ensure piston and valves do not hit each other.

Salim
I would be interested to know what those steps are. This will be the second time I replace the timing belt on this vehicle. I may have already taken those steps but I am always looking to learn more...
Old 10-11-13, 11:44 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by colenzae
I would be interested to know what those steps are. This will be the second time I replace the timing belt on this vehicle. I may have already taken those steps but I am always looking to learn more...
Once you take the timing belt off, the valve cam is loaded (spring pressure from valves) and spins off [the valves move up and down]. First step is to setup the piston #1 to TDC .. then you move the timing by 30degrees (please double check this number) and then remove the timing belt. By advancing the piston from TDC you create space above the piston for valves to come down.

For non interference Lexus/toyota engines the T-belt is removed at TDC,

Mind you, when the belt is put on, you verify the marks match at TDC after 2 cranks. Remember to ignore the marks on the belt itself ,,, they will be way off.

Salim
Old 10-12-13, 12:55 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Get used to it Salim, as long as these engines live (Rx belt driven cam), this question will live with them. (can't help but chuckle) (and there will always be controversy, but you did give the right answer)
Old 10-12-13, 01:13 PM
kalali
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone reported a seized engine due to the timing belt breaking or slipping a tooth?
Old 10-12-13, 05:53 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by kalali
Has anyone reported a seized engine due to the timing belt breaking or slipping a tooth?
Kalali:

Now you are asking about odds vs facts.

I have come across multiple (less than you can count on one hand) where there was no damage and one where there was.

Trust me when I say the engine is interfering type.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 10-12-13 at 07:18 PM.
Old 10-13-13, 12:12 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Kalali:

I have come across multiple (less than you can count on one hand) where there was no damage and one where there was.

Salim
Because it stops instantly (has no choice but to) IF the belt should break, the odds of NOT interfering, on an interference engine are very large. It is even more complicated than that concerning the chance of interference on the VVT engine. The engine indeed is listed as an INTERFERENCE engine. Just takes the right conditions for it to interfere.
I worked with a fellow who bought a Ford Ranger new in 1988. At 180K+ miles the odometer broke. He drove it for another 1&1/2 -2 years with no odometer. One morning coming to work it quit unexpectedly. Had it towed to Ford and diagnoses was broken timing belt. 2 hours later was on his way to work. He estimated he had 250K mi on it and he discovered it called for a 60K mi replacement. He DIDN"T EVEN KNOW IT HAD A TIMING BELT! Only one mans opinion but I think too many people worry too much about timing belt replacement. Blow up at 90,001 mi.? Probably not. These belts look pretty new at 90K mi.
Old 10-13-13, 06:38 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

The Sienna that I just purchased has 142k miles on the original timing belt (never been replaced, however all other service has been done, kinda weird the dealer didn't mention it as it's been dealer maintained it's whole life), anyways I'll be changing the timing belt soon.

I will be sure to grab a few pictures of the belt at what will likely be about 145k miles.

I wouldn't go more than 120k miles max on the timing belt. Why risk it? You are going to have to change it sooner or later. Might as well get it over with and not chance being stuck with bent valves.
Old 10-13-13, 07:22 AM
kalali
Pole Position

Kalali:

Salim
Not a trust issue. I have no doubt it's an interference engine. I was just curious about the "odds'.
I have 163K on my '03 RX with the original TB. Call me a gambler... But I helped a friend replace the TB on his '01 RX (bought new) with 187K miles and the original TB showed hardly any wear.
Love to see what the Sienna TB looks like after 145K.
Old 10-13-13, 08:55 AM
colenzae
Intermediate

Also at issue when approaching or passing the 200k mark are the water pump and associated idler/tensioner pulleys the timing belt rides on.
This will be the second time I change the belt but only the first for those associated components.
Old 10-14-13, 12:09 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Not a trust issue. I have no doubt it's an interference engine. I was just curious about the "odds'.
I have 163K on my '03 RX with the original TB. Call me a gambler... But I helped a friend replace the TB on his '01 RX (bought new) with 187K miles and the original TB showed hardly any wear.
Love to see what the Sienna TB looks like after 145K.
That's OVER DOUBLE the recommended interval in miles, and "it showed hardly any wear". When I changed the belt on my DIL's RX at 97K mi. I couldn't believe my eyes. Didn't look like it had 20K on it and I knew it was the original. One thing most people don't realize is this IS NOT "you father's timing belt". Along the way since timing belts were recommended to be changed at 60K mi., they have undergone a drastic reengineering. That's why they look like new at 150-200K mi. and have been reported to go to 300K or more without failure. They are nothing like the belts that were 60K mi. replacement recommended. Those you better change at 60K or you were in danger of failure.

P.S. ONLY use OEM replacement belts! All bets are off on any other. I know from experience!
Old 10-17-13, 02:58 PM
jbl-1985
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Its interesting that the Lexus Knowledge center opts out of getting into a discussion of potential catastrophic damage of a broken T-Belt on the website.. If it breaks, your car won't work until you get it repaired. Really?
Attached Thumbnails Interference or Non-Interference-capture.jpg  
Old 10-17-13, 03:35 PM
kalali
Pole Position

Peace of mind....Is that a technical term?
Old 10-18-13, 12:04 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Peace of mind....Is that a technical term?
LOL For them it is.

Quick Reply: Interference or Non-Interference