RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

"Voice-activated" Navigation?

Old 01-19-03, 10:41 AM
xsfo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Voice-activated" Navigation?

I noticed that the text in the RX preview on the Lexus web site mentioned that the 2004 RX will have Voice-activated DVD Navigation System. Is this correct? It sounds like a marketing goof. I thought none of the current Lexus navigation units were voice-activated -- so that you can talk to control it. They do have voice notification for directions though. Maybe this is what the text meant. The text follows below. Fourth line down.

Last edited by xsfo; 01-19-03 at 10:47 AM.
Old 01-19-03, 07:58 PM
xsfo
Pole Position

I saw on the Lexus website that the LS LX and GX have the voice-activated navigation. So I guess it's not a stretch for the new RX to have this.

Those of you that have tried the voice-activated navigation, what do you think of it? Is it practical or is it awkward? Acura had to delay their version of a voice-activated navigation until just recently for the MDX. It seems they were having problems with the voice-activated part. I'm wondering how the Lexus version fared.
Old 01-19-03, 08:36 PM
Knicksfan
Pole Position

Default Not ready for prime time

I have the voice activated NAV on my GX. For basic functions (e.g. "zoom in") its ok. For many commands (you have to remember the exact command) it "hears" something different. (I'll say "Display Gas Station Icons" and it will respond "There is no cassette to eject"). Good for a chuckle.

Admitedly it works significantly better when both radio AND AC is off.

Its better than nothing but its not really going to help you if you want to add a new destination will driving. Most things are just easier to do manually.

I'd give it a "C" so far.
Old 01-21-03, 03:02 PM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

Voice activated... PRETTY SWEET!!! LOL

i test drove the GX and saw that option being used... NOT PERFECT... but prety damn good in my book...

The sales guy just pressed the button and said "Chinese Restaurents"...
couple seconds later... the Navi display pointed out 4 restaurents around the area and we can just touch those points and it tells us what restaurent it is... I LIKE!!!

then the sales guy says "Go Home"... and it didn't understand... BECAUSE they have not yet route a route for the lexus dealership... Man... i'd like to have voice activated

its gonna be a real treat