RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

2001 RX 300 No Nav CPU Video Input (Nav buttons and wiring in place)

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-13, 12:01 AM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pixel2000
Hey Gazi, Hey Salim,

First of all, thanks for your answers and your help!

Here are some pics of the connectors in my trunk and my touch screen. When I select MAP, the display says "the external system is not connected". I can switch CD tracks via touch screen.

It seems that the large connector in my trunk is connected to an Y-shaped cable that converts one large connector to two smaller ones.

I guess because the setup of my car (nav touch screen w/o nav) is so special, it is hard to find any information about connecting video to screen w/o having nav dvd player.

Only comment on this I found so far is that a user named artaquio mentions under his youtube vid that it should be possible "even if the NAV CPU is not installed [], but you have to cheat the screen as it was one".

Ipod video in my Lexus RX300 - YouTube

However, I was not able to contact him so far.

@Gazi: If you don't know it already, would it be maybe possible for you to disconnect your dvd player in your trunk in order to see whether you can still select nav screen and watch a vid? (from your previous posts I understand that you have nav + a/v installed in your car)

Again, thanks for your help!
pixel2000, I will disconnect the dvd ecu and let you know.
Old 08-29-13, 05:26 AM
pixel2000
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gazi001
pixel2000, I will disconnect the dvd ecu and let you know.
Ok, great! Thank you very much!
Old 09-01-13, 01:01 PM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by pixel2000
Ok, great! Thank you very much!
Hi pixel2000, I checked today evening, yes the av displayed on the screen if I disconnect the nav dvd ecu. You good to go. You only need a adapter to feed the av in to the screen of the Lexus multi media channel.
Old 09-01-13, 03:21 PM
pixel2000
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gazi001
Hi pixel2000, I checked today evening, yes the av displayed on the screen if I disconnect the nav dvd ecu. You good to go. You only need a adapter to feed the av in to the screen of the Lexus multi media channel.
Hey Gazi,

Thank you very much for testing, this is great news! Can you tell me which unit you are using in your car to connect a/v? Might be a good idea to get the same.
Old 09-01-13, 04:17 PM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

I have Vais tech SL2Vu for input av from Ipod touch 4th generation.

Last edited by gazi001; 09-01-13 at 04:27 PM.
Old 09-01-13, 05:58 PM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

CL is good because members like gazi001 who go the distance.

Thank you one and all.

Salim
Old 09-01-13, 06:40 PM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by salimshah
CL is good because members like gazi001 who go the distance.

Thank you one and all.

Salim
Thank you.
Old 09-04-13, 07:29 PM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Pixel2000, did you able to get the av in?
Old 12-02-14, 08:31 AM
dreadlak
Driver School Candidate

Default Same Issue No Nav CPU

I have the same issue here. Got an european spec rx300. I actually bought the naviks system but no luck. I got this harness from them.

Naviks Lexus Rx300 Harness

The white end is supposed to be connected to the vehicle and the black to the DVD in the boot which I don't have. I also don't have the harness that would connect to the DVD. It's the same as pixel2000.

I'm no electrician. But I look at the back of the Head Unit and saw that I do have this

The black connector on the Naviks can connect to it but nothing happens. Guess its not supposed to work that way. So am lost.

By the way, I got a grom audio unit also. It works like a charm except for a few freezes when I try skipping quickly now and then. I also had to cut a mute wire on it. GROM helped.

Does that mean you really do need the NAV DVD? Or that I should try get the Vais tech SL2Vu. If I get the NAV DVD I'll still need a harness which seems difficult to track so I'm trying to figure an alternative.
Old 04-29-15, 02:54 PM
LondonLex
Driver School Candidate

Hi there,
Just seen your post. I am also trying to achieve the same result as yours. I also have the EU spec RX300 & do not have a Nav-DVD in the boot. But there are some wires with connectors exactly like your pictures. Do I just need to buy the Nav-DVD unit for the navigation to work?

If so do you know which nav-DVD unit that is correct.
Thanks
Jeremy
Old 04-30-15, 10:57 AM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LondonLex
Hi there,
Just seen your post. I am also trying to achieve the same result as yours. I also have the EU spec RX300 & do not have a Nav-DVD in the boot. But there are some wires with connectors exactly like your pictures. Do I just need to buy the Nav-DVD unit for the navigation to work?

If so do you know which nav-DVD unit that is correct.
Thanks
Jeremy
Hi, If you want exact match and working with car's ac etc. you need oem nav ecu, display from the RX 300 models which started the navigation system from the 2001 models.
Old 05-01-15, 04:52 AM
LondonLex
Driver School Candidate

Default 2001 RX 300 No Nav CPU Video Input (Nav buttons and wiring in place)

Hi Gazi,
Thanks for the reply. I have had a look at the OEM nav ECU & have found one online. I have attached pictures of the ECU I have found. At the back of the Nav unit there are 4 connectors. I know one is for the GPS antenna.

But in my vehicle boot there is only 2 vacant connectors showing & one connector is already connected as pictured. Also there is no GPS wire.

I just want to get backup camera installed which will show on head unit. I do not need GPS. To achieve this, Do I still need to buy the nav DVD unit? Is there any other way to connect the camera to my existing wires in boot?

Also are there any other adaptors that will do the job. I really appreciate your reply & cant thank enough for even replying to me as I have spent months looking for a solution.

Thanks again,
Jeremy
Attached Thumbnails 2001 RX 300 No Nav CPU Video Input (Nav buttons and wiring in place)-nav-unit-available-online.jpg   2001 RX 300 No Nav CPU Video Input (Nav buttons and wiring in place)-back-of-nav-unit-available-online.jpg   2001 RX 300 No Nav CPU Video Input (Nav buttons and wiring in place)-wire-in-boot1.jpg   2001 RX 300 No Nav CPU Video Input (Nav buttons and wiring in place)-wire-in-boot2.jpg   2001 RX 300 No Nav CPU Video Input (Nav buttons and wiring in place)-2-vacant-connectors-in-boot.jpg  

Old 05-02-15, 01:33 PM
LondonLex
Driver School Candidate

Default Reverse camera

Hello everyone,
I do not have the nav DVD in the boot. But as this is an European model it has some connectors in the boot & 4 connectors at the back of the head unit.

I just want to install reverse camera to the RX300 head unit. I have attached a picture of the 4 connectors at the back of the head unit. Can anyone please let me know if it is a straight forward plug & play for the reverse camera as I do not need navigation.

I have seen some sellers sell adaptors for the reverse camera. I have attached the URL's of these items. Will any of these fit my unit as I am worried I may just be buying them incorrectly.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2215014483...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3014027649...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Any advise will be greatly appreciated.
Kind regards
Jerry
Attached Images  
Old 05-04-15, 03:42 AM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LondonLex
Hi Gazi,
Thanks for the reply. I have had a look at the OEM nav ECU & have found one online. I have attached pictures of the ECU I have found. At the back of the Nav unit there are 4 connectors. I know one is for the GPS antenna.

But in my vehicle boot there is only 2 vacant connectors showing & one connector is already connected as pictured. Also there is no GPS wire.

I just want to get backup camera installed which will show on head unit. I do not need GPS. To achieve this, Do I still need to buy the nav DVD unit? Is there any other way to connect the camera to my existing wires in boot?

Also are there any other adaptors that will do the job. I really appreciate your reply & cant thank enough for even replying to me as I have spent months looking for a solution.

Thanks again,
Jeremy
You need adapter to input videos in the screen like Vaistech SL2Vu or try to find any kind which will input videos to the screen.
Old 05-04-15, 07:01 AM
dreadlak
Driver School Candidate

Default Reverse Camera

I got something about an AVC-LAN. It seems that the NAV player sends a signal to the NAVScreen which the adapters then override. There are people who have gotten around it but all the sites have been in Russian and add elecronic schematics to that and I have no idea whats going on. I've seen some CARPC stuff also but all I really want is the camera and nothing else.

I think what the adapters like mines do is over-ride the video signal from the NAV player.

Quick Reply: 2001 RX 300 No Nav CPU Video Input (Nav buttons and wiring in place)