RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Windshield washer not working

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-13, 02:55 PM
Boblex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Windshield washer not working

On my 99 RX300 Windshield washer stopped work. Washing liquid is not coming thru hose. And I couldn't find washer pump. Where is it? And is there fuse for this? I checked fuse box in engine compartment and looks like it's not there. May be it located somewhere else?
Old 08-15-13, 03:18 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

search would be the best thing to use.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...reservoir.html

In summary the pump is located at the bottom of the fluid reservoir ... slightly behind the bumper ... ahead of the right front wheel.

You can access it by removing the bottom shield.

Can you hear the motor hum?
How about the rear washer? Does it work? It is the same pump which runs in the opposite direction for rear spray.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 08-15-13 at 03:26 PM.
Old 08-15-13, 04:58 PM
Boblex
Driver School Candidate

Thanks a lot for your fast response, Salim! After your replay I checked. Rear washer is not working too. And no sound from pump. I guess pump is not working. Should I just replace it or something else to check yet before?
Old 08-15-13, 04:59 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Check and see if power is making it to the pump first.
Old 08-16-13, 01:23 AM
ididit
Driver School Candidate

mine has the same problem. I could not hear the motor sound when I turn on the wiper. So I checked the motor and found that it had been getting rusty because of water leaking. So I change the motor. unfortunately, it's still not working. but at least I can hear the motor noise when I turn on wiper.

any suggestion for this case? Thanks.
Old 08-16-13, 07:32 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by ididit
mine has the same problem. I could not hear the motor sound when I turn on the wiper. So I checked the motor and found that it had been getting rusty because of water leaking. So I change the motor. unfortunately, it's still not working. but at least I can hear the motor noise when I turn on wiper.

any suggestion for this case? Thanks.
If you have access to a compressor, turn down the psi,and blow your washer line out. Could also be your washer mounts on the hood that are blocked too.
Old 08-16-13, 09:55 AM
salimshah

I am against using compressor. I would disconnect the hose as the back of the spray nozzle. Disconnect the hose at the pump end, Then blow by mouth from the separated nozzle or the pump end of the pipe.

As mentioned by lexus114, if you use the compressor, set it low .. you dont want to separate a joint in the piping.

Salim
Old 08-16-13, 10:41 AM
Boblex
Driver School Candidate

Thank you. Carguy07 for response. Today I checked if power comes to pump. You can easily access to pump power connector thru hole in the bumper with long narrow plier and pull of it. No power coming to pump. At first connector itself seemed suspicious with dirt covered one contact. To be sure, I cut if connector and checked power on wires while turning on washer. There was no power. Since nobody is talking about fuse, I guess there is no fuse on that. So, what else I can do?
Old 08-16-13, 12:28 PM
Boblex
Driver School Candidate

I tried another thing. I fed pump with wire directly from battery, but nothing happens. I guess pump motor is gone. So, I might need help with taking off reservoir and pump. I see Ididit had changed it. Did you do it yourself? Any advise may be...
Old 08-16-13, 02:28 PM
Boblex
Driver School Candidate

Hey, busy guys! I figured it out! I was doing wrong thing! What I thought power connector was level sensor. I think so. Thing is first I thought the pump is inside of reservoir. Like fuel pump. Finally I discovered pump attached to reservoir, behind. And power is coming to pump. So, pump should be replaced. Autozone doesn't have it. So, I will order it online.
Old 08-16-13, 03:21 PM
salimshah

I hope you did not fry the sensor.

Salim
Old 08-16-13, 05:02 PM
Baetke
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Boblex
Hey, busy guys! I figured it out! I was doing wrong thing! What I thought power connector was level sensor. I think so. Thing is first I thought the pump is inside of reservoir. Like fuel pump. Finally I discovered pump attached to reservoir, behind. And power is coming to pump. So, pump should be replaced. Autozone doesn't have it. So, I will order it online.
The part number used for the 1999 Lexus RX300 is 85330-14490 but you can use the Toyota Highlander part number 85330-20470 for a replacement. I purchased this part from the Toyota dealer for $54.10.
Old 08-21-13, 03:42 AM
CharBaby
Rookie

Yes, you can purchace the little washer pump from either the Toyota or Lexus dealership parts dept.
It's the same part# and in my area, the cost was the same within a dollar of one another. I went to the Toyota dealer because they were closer to where I live.

Also, you can buy the part from your local parts stores but, you'll have to clip the connection and splice them together as the aftermarket part, though identical, doesn't come with the same connections but, it's the correct part and will fit properly in your washer fluid resivior to feed both front/rear windshields/glass. It's not hard to do!
Old 08-21-13, 09:32 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
I am against using compressor. I would disconnect the hose as the back of the spray nozzle. Disconnect the hose at the pump end, Then blow by mouth from the separated nozzle or the pump end of the pipe.

As mentioned by lexus114, if you use the compressor, set it low .. you dont want to separate a joint in the piping.

Salim

Yes definitely turn it way down for this.
Old 08-21-13, 11:40 AM
bgross88
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Years ago, I had a mouse fall into the washer reservoir on my Jetta, and I didn't know it. Said mouse proceeded to become pieces of a mouse and over time, got sucked into the piping and nozzles.

That was a very, very fun clean out, lemme tell you!

Quick Reply: Windshield washer not working