RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

questions with 310,000 miles/ receipts

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-13, 08:01 PM
Bax
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default questions with 310,000 miles/ receipts

I just brought this car for a teenager to drive. Codes tell me a coil pack is bad #5. I got one off of Ebay and It DOA( I Switched the coils to #2)now the code reader says #2. New issue.
In park its at 700- 900 rpm everything looks good. When I put it in drive and cut the AC on it drops to about 500 rpm. Now would a bad alternator make RPM's drop that low or running on 5 cylinders do the same ? Back ground: I do all the maintenance on my F 250 diesel (212,000 miles)and an 04 Expedition. I posted on the over 200 mile thread and this is where I'm at. Oh the car was parked for 9 mouths before I got IT. I have almost the full maintenance history. I'm going to a local parts house to get a new coil. I think I can Keep this thing going,with out a major transplant.

i paid less than $1000.00 for the car.

Last edited by Bax; 09-02-13 at 06:42 PM. Reason: how much
Old 08-08-13, 03:40 AM
99rx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Go get a new coil. That probably what's causing such a drop when you turn on the a/c. None of this sounds like major issues to me. Should be able to keep it running for years to come with the right maintenance. Change the oil and fluids if its been sitting that long.
Old 08-08-13, 06:15 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Get a coil, but make sure it's OEM. Get it from the Toyota dealer.
Old 08-09-13, 08:31 PM
Bax
Rookie

Got a new coil. CEL are no more. After a short drive every thing looks good , except the temp gauge is running a little over half way. Is this normal? in South Carolina heat 90'.

Changing plugs.
PVC valve.
and cleaning ICV tomorrow
mpg on 25 trip was 18.5
310,000 and oil leak at engine and trans
bax
Old 08-09-13, 08:38 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

The coolant temperature should read something like this: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/2249093-post16.html
Old 08-09-13, 09:52 PM
Bax
Rookie

That is close to what it was running. OK on the front bank, near the radiator, there is a hose maybe CCV going to the intake is showing some weeping at the cover. And PVC on the back left looks to weeping. my diesel does this. What should I look for? Remember 310,000 miles.
Bax
Old 08-10-13, 04:58 PM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

On a separate note, please share some photos of the RX, as I would love to see what one looks like with double my mileage.

Thanks and welcome to the club!!!

Jim
Old 08-13-13, 07:21 PM
Bax
Rookie

I have a new issue. After sitting for a few days the car starts fine but the gas pedal is hard to press, I mean like I thought it was stuck. Its still a little hard to press after a short drive.
Is this normal or can I put some lube or grease on a spring, cable....?
Here are a few pics Harrier.
Bax
Attached Thumbnails questions with 310,000 miles/ receipts-cimg7547.jpg   questions with 310,000 miles/ receipts-cimg7548.jpg   questions with 310,000 miles/ receipts-cimg7551.jpg  
Old 08-13-13, 08:44 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

I would open the hood and twist the butterfly shaft and release the cable. You may like to take the the other cable (cruise control) off the wheel too. This would isolate the cables from the butterfly. Now check by hand if the butterfly is sticking or one of the two cables. If the cable is frayed, then replace it.
Use a dry graphite to lube the cable. Oil and grease attract dirt and will give you trouble in the long run. WD40 is not the right lube.

If the butterfly is sticking or binding, then you need to take off the air intake and use an appropriate cleaner. Check and make sure it is safe for RX. Not all carb cleaners are safe. You may have to hold the butterfly partially open to get the spray on the other side.

Last of all, sticky/binding throttle is a safety hazard. Please work on it with urgency.

Salim
Old 08-17-13, 05:11 AM
Bax
Rookie

So I cleaned the butterfly's in the throttle body. That was it. Thanks Salim.

I also cleaned the IACV while I had the breather box out. I thought I had screwd something up because, when I started the car the RPM's where at Like 1200 RPM. But after it warmed up the RPM dropped back to normal. It run's a lot better now. Great DIY section.

I have a few more bugs to work out that I'll post about but Thanks Again for the help.

I also changed the front seats with ones a got from a salvage yard.

Bax

Last edited by Bax; 08-17-13 at 05:14 AM. Reason: forgot something/ typo
Old 08-21-13, 06:28 PM
Bax
Rookie

Alright I have a new Problem. Today after a short drive I noticed a whine in the engine bay. I'm looking around and see the harmonic balancer has a slight wobble. And the main belt is leaving residue on the alternator. I'll post a pic tomorrow when the light outside is better.

Do harmonic balancer's go bad? And is this a maintenance item?

Bax
Old 08-21-13, 07:51 PM
ATLs460
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

They absolutely go bad!

At certain engine speeds the torques imparted by the cylinders are in sync with the vibrations in the crankshaft, which results in a phenomenon called resonance.

This resonance causes stress beyond what the crankshaft can withstand, resulting in crankshaft failure.

Any pulley can go bad. Replace yours and change that belt ASAP.
Old 08-22-13, 12:39 AM
salimshah

There is one Toyota/Lexus model that has a recall (or tsb) regarding main pulley. It is hard to examine it in there so you will have to take it off. If the thing breaks when the engine is running, it will cause some serious damage. Keep the hood closed when engine is running to protect your head/face.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 08-22-13 at 12:43 AM.
Old 08-27-13, 05:39 PM
Bax
Rookie

Update. So I changed the harmonic balancer and it looks a lot better but the alternator pulley is making a little noise so I'm taking it to a local shop for a rebuild. The housing looked pretty bad from sitting all those months and a rebuild will not hurt.

Just a note on the harmonic balancer that was chore to the bolt get off at first. I sprayed it several times with PB Blaster and waited an hour or so and that thing came off with ease. My impact wrench didn't even stall. PB Blaster is handy stuff.

Next on the list door actuators 3 of them including the rear hatch. And a spare key.

Bax
Old 08-27-13, 05:56 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by Bax
Update. So I changed the harmonic balancer and it looks a lot better but the alternator pulley is making a little noise so I'm taking it to a local shop for a rebuild. The housing looked pretty bad from sitting all those months and a rebuild will not hurt.

Just a note on the harmonic balancer that was chore to the bolt get off at first. I sprayed it several times with PB Blaster and waited an hour or so and that thing came off with ease. My impact wrench didn't even stall. PB Blaster is handy stuff.

Next on the list door actuators 3 of them including the rear hatch. And a spare key.

Bax
I think it is the belt that is making the noise. If not then this would not be my first time that I have been wrong

Salim

Quick Reply: questions with 310,000 miles/ receipts