RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Substitute to T-IV Transmission Fluid

Old 07-30-13, 06:17 PM
kalali
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Substitute to T-IV Transmission Fluid

Sorry if this has been discussed before but what is better substitute that is readily available for a tired RX300 with 162K miles? Been using the Toyota T-IV every 15K miles for the past 80K miles but would like to switch to something more suitable for "high mileage" application.
Thanks.
Old 07-30-13, 06:55 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Keep using T-IV if you like it. It is a suitable "high mileage" candidate. And, if it's worked well for 80k miles why change now.

However, if you do want to change. You can try Castrol Transmax Import Multi-Vehicle, I've been using it for about 65k miles now, and it work's perfect.
Old 07-30-13, 08:40 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I have used Mobil 1 Synthethic Transmission fluid on my old RX300 for 80k without problems.
Old 07-30-13, 10:23 PM
salimshah

Received 991 Likes on 896 Posts

Originally Posted by kalali
Sorry if this has been discussed before but what is better substitute that is readily available for a tired RX300 with 162K miles? Been using the Toyota T-IV every 15K miles for the past 80K miles but would like to switch to something more suitable for "high mileage" application.
Thanks.
Are you experiencing any leaks or slips? In other words are you trying to address a problem?

Salim
Old 07-31-13, 05:30 AM
kalali
Pole Position

Forgot to say its 2003. No slipping or leaks just a subtle jerking when reverse is engaged, especially when backing up on an incline. Not expecting a fix with the fluid change but thought a different fluid might help. I have been doing regular drain and fills since I first detected this issue and it has not gotten worse, or better for that matter.
Old 07-31-13, 06:45 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

I have been using Redline D4, but as others mention there are a lot of things out there better than the Type IV.

Royal Purple and Amsoil also make T-IV substitutes and the Royal Purple one you can find in most auto parts stores along with the Mobil 1 ATF.
Old 07-31-13, 06:51 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I found the Wolf`s Head multi vehicle Synthetic fluid, and the Castrol fluid worked the best in the 2001 I had. Also took away most of that delay it had from 1st to 2nd gear shifts.
Old 07-31-13, 07:50 AM
salimshah

Forgot to say its 2003. No slipping or leaks just a subtle jerking when reverse is engaged, especially when backing up on an incline. Not expecting a fix with the fluid change but thought a different fluid might help. I have been doing regular drain and fills since I first detected this issue and it has not gotten worse, or better for that matter.
The jerk on incline is due to driver negligence when parking.

Apply parking brake and then move the shifter to "p" and turn off ignition.

Start, move shift lever to R or D and then release the parking brake.

Another good driving/parking habit would be curbing the wheels on an incline. I live in the hilly part of central Texas and see too many vehicles parked with un-curbed wheels.

Salim
Old 07-31-13, 04:01 PM
jbl-1985
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I've used T-IV for the life of the car (first full drain and fill was done back in 2009 at around 40k miles. Regular drain and fills after I bought the car in 2010. Transmission has always been smooth shifting with it. Sure there are probably better fluids out there, but I'm cut from the team that says "if it ain't broke don't fix it".
Old 08-01-13, 05:15 AM
kalali
Pole Position

Originally Posted by salimshah
The jerk on incline is due to driver negligence when parking.

Apply parking brake and then move the shifter to "p" and turn off ignition.

Start, move shift lever to R or D and then release the parking brake.

Another good driving/parking habit would be curbing the wheels on an incline. I live in the hilly part of central Texas and see too many vehicles parked with un-curbed wheels.

Salim
Thanks all for the feedback. Appreciate it. Regrading the jerking in reverse, I experience the jerking when I apply throttle with the gear fully engaged in reverse as opposed to the one when the shift lever is moved from P to R. Nonetheless the use of parking brake is an excellent advice.
I think I'll try a different fluid next drain and fill just to see if it makes a difference.
Old 08-01-13, 05:56 AM
salimshah

Thanks all for the feedback. Appreciate it. Regrading the jerking in reverse, I experience the jerking when I apply throttle with the gear fully engaged in reverse as opposed to the one when the shift lever is moved from P to R. Nonetheless the use of parking brake is an excellent advice.
I think I'll try a different fluid next drain and fill just to see if it makes a difference.
My bad!

I would suggest, having the rubber mounts examined. In reverse a lot of power gets transferred and any excessive give in the mounts will cause noise and a jerk.

Salim
Old 08-01-13, 06:37 AM
Baetke
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
I have been using Redline D4, but as others mention there are a lot of things out there better than the Type IV.

Royal Purple and Amsoil also make T-IV substitutes and the Royal Purple one you can find in most auto parts stores along with the Mobil 1 ATF.
Just curious, why are these alternative ATF's "better" than T-IV and do you do a complete flush or just a drain/fill to gradually replace the T-IV?

Thanks
Old 08-01-13, 06:47 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by Baetke
Just curious, why are these alternative ATF's "better" than T-IV and do you do a complete flush or just a drain/fill to gradually replace the T-IV?

Thanks
Are you concerned about co-existence of two different fluids?

Which fluid is better? I am glad that you asked in this forum where it would not turn into which religion is better sort of discussion

Keep all the variables in mind
Price
Longevity
Availability
Specs
Environmental impact
Co-existence
and many more

Salim
Old 08-01-13, 07:35 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Baetke

Thanks

Because they are Synthetic/Synthetic blend fluids. The Toyota fluid is not. Which theoretically means they should hold up better.
Old 08-02-13, 04:45 AM
kalali
Pole Position

Originally Posted by salimshah
Are you concerned about co-existence of two different fluids?
Good point here. Would it be OK to have the T-IV mixed with the different/new fluid?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Substitute to T-IV Transmission Fluid